Newb here! Want to start.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by avrilfan, Apr 12, 2009.

1. avrilfan

avrilfan Banned

...collecting Transformers, what would be a good starting point? Any help would be apprieciated, thanks

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Hey, welcome!

I think a good starting point would be to check what is currently available in your market and determine what you like or dislike. There's Universe, Animated and upcoming ROTF toys, all with very different styles. Which ones appeal to you?

The great thing about Transformers is there's still tons of cool ones coming out, not just expensive classics from the past. You will be able to build a sweet little collection by just getting what you like that's in stores before you expand your scope and start hunting for more rare and expensive stuff.

Good luck!

3. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Is there any paticular line you like bud? If its say Animated, Beast Wars etc then just go for that line and try and get bits wave by wave.

If you mean Transformers in general then just pick up the bits you like. G1 is a bit of a mine field on ebay as tehre are lots of knock offs on there

Best place is look at the for sale section on here. There are plenty of good people and the prices are great.

Good choice on Avril, she would get it :thumb 

4. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Suggestions to the N00b. Run, run far away and then run a little more. The Sage o' Grapefuit he will swallow your soul. Then FreshDebesh will buy it from The Sage at a profitable price. Then with your soul FreshDebesh will sacrifice your soul to the Almighty Lord Vangelus whom will then use your soul to sell on EBAY and buy himself some more toys. Whilst on ebay your soul will then be bought by Nachtsrider who will then use you as a plaything. Jking. But seriously welcome to the TFW forums. Be afraid, be very afraid.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

If you are looking for older lines make sure you check the buy/sell/trade boards here. There are plenty of people selling good items for a good price. Make sure you do your research so you don't way overpay for an item.

Enjoy the little buggers!!

6. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It looks like you are moving from Avril to Transformers so you are headed in the right direction. If you only have a basic understanding of Transformers in general I would jump in with what's being sold right now. If you are short on funds wait for sales. There are some deals out there right now on Universe and Animated deluxes. Pick them up and wait for better deals on the larger ones. Once you have collected a few you can decide what you like. Also, try to watch the cartoons.

7. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Start with the TF toys that you grew up watching or reading comic books on. I'm an 80's kid, so G1 is where I'd start.

Don't worry should you become addicted. We have a support group for that here too!

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Buy everything you can get yor habds on! LOL

Seriously, start small and figure out what you like, then run with that. Don't get into the habbit of buying for potential value, you'll just end up broke with abunch of stuff that you might not actuall like and are afraid to touch for fear of breaking them.

9. avrilfan

avrilfan Banned

ta

thanks for the info guys, at the moment i have 7 mini cons i picked up cheap, 4 have a few parts missing tho, so if anybody wants them for spares, im more than happy to let you have them, i like the armada range that was out a while ago, i like the look of the animated range too, well tbh i like pretty much all transformers, which would you reccomend from the animated range for starters?

10. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I would recommend getting any and all Animated and Universe/Classics figures you see, they're all pretty good. They have a lot of good deals at Target/Walmart/Meijers/TRU at this time. You must have Leader Megatron and Ultra Magnus, and if you can find one, a Shockwave from Animated. Buy Universe Cyclonus immediately. If you have a Toys 'r' Us near you and $60, buy a universe Unicron, you will not be disappointed. I would also recommend picking a character or two that will be your favorite(if you don't have one already), and buying any figure of theirs from any and all lines, it's very satisfying.

11. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    The Transformers Classics/Universe and Animated lines are the perfect lines to start with IMO. The live-action movie toys aren't for everyone IMHO.

12. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the new Universe line is a good place to start in my opinion. it includes revamps of many figures from different continuities. Its got a few beast wars, a few G1 etc

13. Vulcan Raven

Vulcan Raven Soundwave's #1 cassette

Welcome fellow newcomer, i just started collecting not to long ago myself. Like everyone else has been saying you should just buy what you like. I have started buying up most of the Universe figures i can get my hands on (cause they all rock) plus my personal favorites are the G1. Also few of the animated ones like the Dino Bots and Soundwave. Just whatever makes ya happy. One other thing i found out though is no matter how awesome they may be in the package, they are twice as nice once you get them out and transform em.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll just quote myself from another similar thread.

15. avrilfan

avrilfan Banned

Thanks

Ok, i think i will try and get Soundwave from Argos, Tesco or T'r'U tomorrow, what class and price is it? If thats not available what is the next best to Soundwave?

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    If you are talking about Animated Soundwave, he's a deluxe. Not sure what price that is in your country, but he should have standard deluxe price.

I'm Animated biased, but I think most Animated toys are great. Possible exceptions could be Voyager and Deluxe Cybertron mode Megatron, but ah well.

So it's really hard for me to recommend a figure to buy if Soundwave is not available, but still, I'll try to give some options (although I bet different people will tell you different things)...best advice is: buy the ones you find appealing!

deluxe:
    Samurai Prowl
    Ratchet
    Oil Slick

voyager:
    Optimus Prime
    Shockwave/Longarm
    Grimlock

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Get all the Animated you can, and get only the movie stuff that looks really cool. And when you begin to get nice and set in your collection, and there's a lull in new toys, start getting a few from back lines.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Definitely go with the Universe/Classics line if you are just starting out. G1 should only be considered for nostalgia, and since it sounds like you aren't old enough to remember the '80s, you'd be disappointed with the originals after getting a taste of the new and improved designs.

I in no way endorse the Animated line, but if you like it...go for it.

19. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It's your collection....your hobby. Buy the stuff that makes you happy. I don't buy shit on here because doods are like "holy shit, this is awesome! everyone, this is a must have!!". I buy the stuff that i can afford and makes me happy.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love animated, and classics/universe, but as previously mentioned by planetjacker, it's not a race, just enjoy them as they come