New Zork game

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Firestorm, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I know it probably won't mean anything to most people on this board, but for those that might like to know, I will post this.

I just found out today that there is a new Zork game in developement after all these years (last one was released in '97). It is going to be a bit different from the last few, but I'm just glad to have a game of any type.

It is called Legends of Zork, and will be a text-based with pictures MMO browser-based game. No release date has been announced yet, but here is the site for those that are interested:
    Legends of Zork - The legendary adventure returns, to your browser.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I care, I care a lot. My Facebook quote was recently, "...Wants some Rye, Course I do"

I have been waiting for word on a new Zork forever. I have the original choose your own adventure books, hehehe. I always hated Myst because it took Zork's premise, made it boring, but still took any small glory Zork had.

Just signed up for updates. I was kinda hoping for a retail release, but any Zork is good

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss standing outside a house near a mailbox with a note welcoming me to Zork.

Zork was like a bridge between my grandparents' world and my own. You only have text and it is limited so the rest of the game's world you had to fill in with your imagination, much like their old radio dramas. and i used to get goosebumps when the thief appeared.

miss it and wouldn't mind a trip back.

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I tried playing Zork. The one problem I had with it is that I didn't know any of the commands. Didn't that game have an exploding mail box?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can say badwords to it and it would chastise you.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can get a freeware copy of the game and I think gamefaqs has a walkthrough.
    worth doing at least once.
    the commands were simple as hell.
    like:
    W {you face west}
    Pick up knife
    Drop knife

that sort of thing.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some info got mailed to me today....
    Hi Everyone

This is the inaugural Legends of Zork update email and we'll be keeping it pretty brief as we're in the very final stages of finishing the game. In fact that's why we're writing. We need to increase our beta group to make sure we get the game balancing right. If you'd like to help, please pop us an email: [email protected].

Now, a word about LoZ (as we affectionately call it). I've been reading a lot of speculation about what kind of a game this will be and I really want to set expectations correctly. LoZ is a casual adventure game. We've designed it to be the kind of game that sneaks into your soul and steals about 20mins of your time
    each day. It's not an MMO (collective sigh of relief, I'd imagine). We genuinely think it's a worthy addition to the Zork universe but at the same time we know that some of you won't agree. You'll have the opportunity to try it out very soon though.

Finally, I'll start posting some game details on the blog about game mechanics and other *actual* detail in the next few days (we've been annoyingly vague on it).

Btw, if you're horribly offended by this email, then the unsubscribe info is in the footer.

See you on the forums

dc

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bump....

I just received a newsletter and check the site. I believe the game is active. Dunno if it's a beta stage, but I made a character. Going to try it tonight from my PS3 browser and see if I can play from my couch.

Zork

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's up and fully active. I love it! only "downside" is being limited to 30 action points in a day.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's multiplayer, right? I thought it was another single player game.

11. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    it's... kind of multiplayer... you can do groups and arena some how, but I havent' tried. I've done all single player so far, kind of like a cross between original Zork (as I imagined it) and Adventure Quest.