New York Comic Con

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Wreckgar, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Anyone going? I'll be there all weekend dealing, or helping deal. Should be a great time. A few great guests and of course some really nice show exclusives so far. However all 3 Mattel figures look like the DC Superhero line counterparts. Kind of lame. But the minimates and Iro nMan head knocker will be mine.

So who else is going? If so, what or who do you plan on seeing.

And everyone pray for an Iron man preview screening. PRAY!

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When is it? Ill go!

3. Wreckgar

April 18-20

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    will they have any tfs there?

5. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Hooo boy let me tell you... I went there last year and what a nightmare of a day...

I didn't understand the point of signing up just to pay just to wait an hour just to get to the entrance just to hand over the proof that you paid just to wait to go downstairs just to get into the Con it's self.

***If you have a re-breather or a face mask resperator it will be your best friend online because there are some ppl that go with the foulest body odors imaginable!!!*** Shower ppl before you come out SHOWER!!!!.

You could not move there was so many ppl there that I stood in one spot for twenty minutes just to get to a table with tf stuff... the only good thing about that was the Japanese female cosplayer with incredibly huge boobs in a loose top that kept bending over infront of me... I could see everything lol.

But as the day progressed it got worse and worse at one point the FDNY came in and shut the place down as they exceeded the max cappacity by 1200 ppl a extremely bad safety hazzard!
    They forced everyone into a single file lineup leading outside of the main con room all the way around and back up the stairs. I had enough of it and i walked out of the line in which point two State police tried to stop me from leaving I bluntly told them "Im leaving this hell hole now get the f... outta my way!" and pushed my way past them to get outside.

I would advise anyone going to leave your coat/jacket in your car with as many ppl they had in there that day and the next day (according to the news) you will literly die of heat exhaustion, it gets that hot in there!
    I was soaked in sweat to the point i had to go to a street vendor and buy a dry shirt just to change mine the sweat was pouring off me in bucket loads...

in my opinion the con was poorly mis-managed and the javits center is not the place for a con of that magnitude!

6. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    Yes there will be dealer tables with tf's for sale, A word of caution Watch out for the MIB guy (Short, short dark hair huge glasses wears a plaid shirt and faded jeans (Almost the same outfit at every ny con he goes to) he always has this red plastic self system with mib jetfire, Megatron, Diaclone black Megs,Trypticon, Metroplex, Predaking giftset, Devastator(The green plastic looked off on it possible K.O. in G-1 package), Optimus Prime, Fort Max (Jap version), and Monstructor. I have been to many of them at the church on 59 street where he's always there!

His prices are insane and he will have glass display cases of TF's that he says are complete and in excellent shape, which I picked up a G-1 Brawn and he told me 35 dollars at the ny comic con but at the usual 59 st con he has them for 15-25 and half the chrome was gone. I asked him if he was serious cause i pointed out the flaws on half of his displayed figures at which he told me to leave I did but i made it known to other ppl in the area of his table that prices like these are rip offs, you'd do better on E-bay!

7. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    good to know. Maybe I'll skip it.

8. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Skip it????

We are going to a convention that is going to take us 10 hours to drive there and you want to skip something that is in our own backyard?????

You'll be there my friend as will I!

9. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't want to go to either!

10. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

You know you want to go.

11. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    I buried that convention in my backyard last year.
    I think aprim is making a smart choice by skipping it, It was a complete Nightmare last year it's bound to b worse this year. The Javits Center imo is too small for the ny comic con. Plus it's a waste of 28 dollars when you can't really even get to half of the tables because of the ammount of ppl inside the con. Maybe if it was better managed it would work out better, but as it is now someone is bound to get hurt inside that place.

12. Wreckgar

Are you sure you are talking about last year? The first year (2 years ago) sounds like what you are describing. Last year, the dealer floor was fine as well as the panel rooms. The only problem was the 3rd floor where artist alley was because they had to limit the amout of people due to space reasons. Otherwise, i easily wandered the floor and really had no problems whatsoever getting to see anyone.

They closed ticket sales to prevent the overcrowding issue as well. I think every day was sold out except sunday. And it was still relatively easy to get most places.

But yes, Avoid a company called men In Black. The guy is a ripoff and has actually been banned from dealing at a lot of conventions including Botcon. He went so far as to rent a room at Botcon 99 or 2000 in Ft Wayne in the convention center but not part of the actual convention just to make money.

13. Wreckgar

so they added a few big people, most notable Stan Lee. I missed him last year, hell or high water, I will meet him this time.

14. Wreckgar

ARGH! They added Garth Ennis and Bob Layton! I'm going to die of exhaustion

15. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

I'm going and so is my friend. I got my ticket in the mail 2 weeks ago. I am very excited for this is my first time going. I just found out today that the NYCC is going to premier the first poster and teaser trailer for "Will Eisner's The Spirit"! I'm with you, Wreckgar, that would be awesome if they had an early showing of Iron Man! One question: My friend isn't able to buy his tickets online so if he goes and buys a 3-day ticket right at the convention center would there be much danger of it selling out before he could get his tickets?

16. Wreckgar

Yes. he should still buy online and just pick it up there.

17. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

I'll give someone reputable who's going $100 through Paypal to pick up and ship to me the TMNT boxset exclusive. Will be $50 at the show.

18. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I didn't realize, till you said that and when I just looked, that you still could buy them online. When it talked about April 1st being the deadline for DHL rush delivery it lead me to believe that you could only buy tickets at the convention center after that. Thanks! btw where and what will you be dealing there?

19. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

i want the neca tmnt set! i can't make it to ny though...i know it's a raffle to get them too!! ugh someone win this set n sent it to me! haha

20. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Is this the con with the Exclusive Nemi Prime?