New Xbox for Xmas!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigertrack, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Well, today we just picked up a new 250GB Xbox 360 as I stated in another thread. I'm not supposed to open it till Christmas day. So, I have a few questions.
    The game consul came with with games, Forza, and some other game I'm not familiar with. Are these pre-loaded games, or are they on CD's? I'm guessing pre-loaded.
    Second, what is a good steering wheel to get for the Xbox? I have this awesome Recaro-style racing seat designed specifically for video-game usage. It's mounted on metal frame with an adjustable bar in front of it that goes up at a 45 degree angle which is where you place the steering wheel. At the bend, it has a special place for peddles.
    I've seen the steering wheel specifically designed for the Xbox, but it's base-frame look's too large to mount on this unit.
    Earlier this month I've seen this gorgeous Porsche-designed steering wheel that was made for use on both the PC and the Xbox, but for one thing, it was way to expensive, and it was in very limited quantities. I think it cost almost as much as the Xbox itself.

Other than WFC game, I'll be doing a lot of car racing, so I need a really good steering wheel. Anybody have any recommendations?
    Would need something that feels life-like, good grip, and with force-feedback. Suggestions please?
    Games? How are the Star Wars games? Are there any really good ones that aren't based on Legos?

2. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
  3. Tigertrack

Thanks, I should've known there was a thread. :) 

4. Tigertrack

What steering wheels are recommended?

5. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Totally go for reach or Black Ops if you're into that. And btw, I know how you feel about not getting to open the box till christimas, I have the same thing on hold till then too. :D 

BB28

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For your first question, no the games aren't pre-loaded.
    They will be on a disc, though it will be possible to load them onto the Xbox, but you will still need the disc in the drive to play it.

Steering wheels, I have no idea.

7. Tigertrack

Yea I realized after looking at the pictures that the games were in their respective DVD's. That's cool, at least I'll be able to trade the game I don't want for something I do want. The only one I wanted from the freebies was Forenza. Pardon if I've mis-spelled the game.

Next question.
    I've got a bunch of movies and music on my IMac from Itunes. Can I load them onto the Xbox? And can the Xbox use an external hard drive for more storage? I've got a 1TB external that I use as back-up for my Mac. So, that's why I was thinking of it for the Xbox.
    Since I can't open it till Christmas, I can't really read the instructions that are included. So, that's why I'm asking all these questions. :) 

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure on the hard drive, but you can definitely move your music over. Some older Itunes music might not transfer, but newer purchases should work on all MP3 players.

9. Tigertrack

I've got around 76 movies and about 2000 songs that I'd like to transfer.
    My Ipod is 160GB and can take all of it, so I bet the 250 Xbox will have no problem. Unless the games take up a serious amount of space? I noticed some games require 6GB's or something like that.
    I probably won't have as large collection of games as I would movies and music.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If your movies are Itunes puchases, then the 360 won't be able to play those. They either need to be converted, or you can try something like ORB to see if they will play through from your computer.

11. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    You don't want to play Alan Wake?! Seriously, give it a shot. You'll only get used game trade in value whether it's still wrapped or not, and Alan Wake is too good to just brush off when it comes free with the system.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll take Wake off your hands for a decent price. That's one that slipped away from me.

13. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP3's should play fine, but the XBox will only play avi and wmv videos (maybe a few other, can't remember) I don't think it is possible to transfer the content to the XBox HDD, you can stream or play from an external device (provided it's formatted as Fat32) but copying content is not possible as far as I know (unless you use some 3rd party component but that might void warranties and such)

Yes you can use a external storage with the XBox, however you are limited to 16GB. So that nice 1TB disc you have will get 16GB portioned off to use with the XBox. But you won't be able to plug it into a computer and copy files to that 16GB since it's formatted a certain way.

You will, however, be able to download videos, arcade games, DLC and install games to that 16GB through the XBox dashboard.

14. Tigertrack

Okay, so it sounds like my Itunes movies and ripped movies are off limits.
    What about my 2000 songs? I've got an entire CD tower full of music not to mention the ton's of songs I've purchased via Itunes.
    What's the best way to transfer my music from computer to Xbox?
    As for the game Wake, we'll see but personally I doubt it'll be my style. I'm not too much into the war-games unless it's related to a series I love. Example Transformers and Star Wars.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, like I said. Most recent itunes purchases work on all MP3 players, but some of the older ones still had that restriction that made them only accessible through your computer and ipod, so you might have to burn them and rerip them with your 360.

Also, some of your ripped movies might work on your 360 depending on the codec you used, but the Itunes movies will not.

16. Tigertrack

I can't recall what format I used for ripping the movies. I think I ripped half when I was using my old Windows computer last year, and the other half with a Mac ripping softwear.
    I think for movies I'll just start a Netflix account.

And when you say recent, how recent? Months, years?

I'd hate to take my tower of CD's and rip them on the Xbox. I remembered how long it took to do that with the computer!

I just want to simply plug the Xbox into the Mac, and transfer. Or am I out of luck on that?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm new to the Xbox. last gaming system I had was an old PS2 which did shit.

17. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    War game? Alan Wake is far from a war game...

18. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well you better start hating cause the only way that I know off, to transfer music from your Mac to the XBox is to have a CD of the album.

You can stream your music, but I'm not sure how that would be set up on a Mac since it's done via Windows Media Player on the PC.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Im scared to rip cd's anymore on the box. Afraid it's been tearing up my lasers.
    On my 4th 360 now, and Im not going to get any dvd's or cd's near it this time.

You should be in game heaven though. Most big budgets from the past are under $10 or $20. Even Gears of War is like $4.99 now.
    Would highly suggest you get a XBox Live gold card, unless it came with a free trial.
    And definitely get some Microsoft points! There's some arcade games that rule.

You can always check out Youtube for trailers and gameplay to games you want to check out.

20. Tigertrack

I'd rather not stream. I want a digital copy on the system.
    So, might have to rip anyway. :( 
    I thought the Xbox had a USB connector and would've allowed you to import from computer to Xbox.