New X-Men, and people old enough to remember New Mutants

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Infosaur, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

So there're bringing back Magik.

*sigh*

Can't Marvel ever keep a dead mutant dead?

The only thing is,,, Am I the only one that thought Illyana was MAD hot back in the day? I think she was the most naked marvel charachter bach then, she wore less then Emma Frost in the 80's.

Doesn't seem such a big deal now.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this Arc, especially since they've barely followed up the last FIVE storylines.

These kids need a JV baseball game, and lots of councelling at this point. Maybe even Some "Magnum P.I. DVD's" (that's a New Mutants reference for you youngin's)

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't mind for two reasons.

First of all, Illyana never should have died in the first place. Even de-aging her at the end of Inferno was a stupid idea (the hallmark of Louise Simonson's run on New Mutants, sadly). But she was a great character and killing her off for that stupid Legacy Virus storyline was a complete waste of her.

Second, the art in this issue's flashbacks was gorgeous. 'Yana coming back is worth it for those pages alone.

And technically, I think they're just importing the House of M version of Illyana, not actually resurrecting the one from the 80s. Although it sounds like she'll be essentially the same character anyway.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I LOVE Illyana. I was an avid New Mutants reader as well. One of the most gut-wrenching story's I ever read was her death in Uncanny 303 (I think it was 303...maybe 304). While I'm usually a proponent of "keep the dead dead", this is a case I don't mind the "resurrection".

We need a New Mutants reunion too. Sam, Roberto, Rahne, Dani, X'ian, and Amara (and apparently now Illyana). Keep Rictor, Boom Boom, Rusty, and Skids away though. Have Sam and Roberto doing the Selleck groove. heh.

4. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Honestly, my first comic was a New Mutants annual.
    I loved them, and still do.
    Don't be bashing Rictor, Skids, Rusty and Boom Boom damnits!

=P

It's cool they are bringing Magik back.

On a side comment about current/recent/whatever status on them, I seriously HATE what became of Wolfsbane.
    I hated her in X-Factor, and she was one of my favorite characters in New Mutants.
    Bah.
    lol.

I just checked, and yes, she's still in X-Factor, der.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Wolfsbane's been quite funky since the X-Tinction Agenda. What with what Hodge did to her and all. I miss the naive, innocent Wolfsbane of the New Mutants run.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hell yeah i loved magik. its the fringe/bangs.

shes a black magic woman,
    and shes tryna take a pebble outta me.

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i'm guessing they'll screw up this revival too (just like Hawkeye, Colossus, and Magneto to name a few).

8. JD

JD Well-Known Member

In other news, New X-men #37 was a pretty good read. LOL @ Santo

"...And that's how I defeated the Sentinels, sent Apocalypse and his horsemen running, told Xaiver to go to hell, saved Hellion from Wolverine and his magic sword, scored with Lady Mastermind, defeated those vault dudes and saved the Cuckoos from the Phoenix force. And, um, the world-thingy"

9. Switchblade

News Credits:
    What, no Warlock? He's kinda still alive (although I have no idea what happened to him after his ill-fated solo title in the late 90s).

And bringing Rusty to a New Mutants reunion would just be in poor taste, what with him being dead and all. :p  Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure he left a corpse behind. Even if he did, it would still be floating around in space somewhere. Mind you, I'd much rather see dead Rusty sitting in a chair with a party hat strapped on than a living Bird-Brain. Good God, but that was a terrible character.

For the record, I think Rahne's worst use to date was her appearance in New Mutants v2/New X-Men. That storyline of her and Elixir falling for each other was terrible.

10. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Not to mention the whole crappy love triangle surrounding it.
    "I love Elixir"
    "Rahne AND Laurie"
    "I love Laurie too"
    "I love Kevin because he can't kill me. Yay!"

:sly: 

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wait...Magik?!

I haven't read X-Men since they did the cat Beast thing. They must be scraping for new ideas.

Who's next to come back to the active character roster? Sat-Yr-9...? :p 

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Every time I consider picking an X-title up again (after dropping them after Fatal Attractions), I red about a character I loved being magically resurrected.
    Dear Marvel writers:
    They. Are. Dead.
    Leave them that way.
    Bringing back Illyana, after the way they killed her (one of my favourite Uncanny issues were the one where Kitty stayed by her bed and gave her "Bamf" as she lay there dying), cheapens her death.
    I won't be reading this; I prefer to remember the X-Men when there were less titles and more decent storylines.

13. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Frankly I don't think they should kill off characters in the first place so I don't mind them bringing people back. I actually like how they brought Colossus back (probably because he's one of my favorite characters) and I am very excited to get his little sister back.

I loved the New Mutants back in the day (especially when something happened and they got to wear their graduation costumes). I am enjoying the New X-men because it really does have that same feeling as the New Mutants used to have.

14. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Actually, the part that annoyed me the most was Rahne dropping her accent because the writers were too damn lazy to try writing her dialogue with it.

I disagree. Fact is, most of these characters aren't killed off for any reason better than adding a little punch to a storyline. Illyana didn't need to die to make the Legacy Virus story work, Colossus didn't need to die to end said Legacy Virus story, Rachel didn't need to die to give Jean a new codename, Banshee didn't need to die to make Vulcan a more credible threat, etc. If the character's death didn't serve any kind of grand purpose, then why not undo it? Just leave alone the ones whose deaths mattered, like Thunderbird, Cypher, or Jean (the first time; bringing her back is still the worst mistake in X-Men history).

That said, there's always been a way to bring back Illyana without cheapening her death. And that lies in the fact that her whole age regression thing was a really wonky story in the first place. Teenage Illyana didn't turn back into a kid, the New Mutants went back in time and brought the kid out of Limbo. The Illyana who was Magik just vanished. Conventional wisdom is that she blinked out of existence, but it wouldn't be very hard to work it so that she just ended up somewhere else instead. Now I don't know how they're actually bringing her back (except that it involves the House of M version of her), but it's obviously going to be Magik, not the little girl who died of the Legacy Virus. So in that aspect the original story isn't as ruined as, say, the Dark Phoenix saga after Jean's return (again, the first one).

Completely changing gears now, did anyone read the New Mutants reunion miniseries from the late 90s? That was a pretty great little story. The classic team meeting their grown-up versions. Great stuff.

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Well, considering Peter died finding a cure for the Legacy Virus in memory of his little sister, and now he's back, it only makes sense to bring back his little sister.

I can't wait till Jean Grey is back. Given Marvel, they'll run out of storylines soon enough.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It's sad, Marvel is so focused on their Crossovers(which aren't even that good), that no one edits the regular series any more, and a lot of their titles are suffering because of it. For Every Good comic we get 5 or six bad ones. They should just focus on writing good comics rather than trying to affect the staus quo of the marvel universe every 2 months.

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Wow didn't expect this response.

1.) Actually I like Rahne in X-factor, considering all she's been though she seems to be in a semi-goth state right now (so many friends gone, her fling with Foley costing her her relationship with her best friend, no longer finding solice in religion) Actually her and Guido need each other right now. (not in a romantic way but in a healing way)

2.) That being said,,,,WTF FOLEY?!? I thought she had better standards than that.

3.) I wanna know what happend to all the people who got me into this book in the first place. Winddancer and Dani, just what have they been up to? And Wallflower and Tag's deaths were just cheap.

4.) Okay one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE New Mutants stories was when they would go forward in time and see their future selves. (I'm not sure if it was an Annual or a run of about 4 books in the mid #50's) I think I'd like to see the "Old" New Mutants arrive in "current" time and interact with the "current" New X-Men. Who have to seek out the original New Mutants (on the various teams they're on) and,,,, um,,, I dunno. [cliche] go on a mission! [/cliche] Might be nice to end it with an ominus sceen where one NM turns to another and says "I remember when we went forward in time, but this isn't where we were. Has history finally been changed?"

18. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Wallflower's death was the awesomest thing ever. Possibly my favorite comic moment of 2006.

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    "Dude, who's Colossus?" :D 

Anyways, eh. I don't know nearly enough about the comic X-verse to really care much whether Magik stays dead or not, since the New X-Men comic and the two X-23 miniseries are the only X-Men comics I've ever picked up except for X-Men: Evo's short comic stint earlier in the decade, as New X-Men sorta serves as a B-rate substitute for Evo, and I do like X23. (I tend to just stick to TF comics-- there's too much about the X-Men comics I find just... hokey. Even though I think the concept is ingenious, forget about all that quasi-mystical/human-esque alien races stuff, please. Probably why I love the X-Men movies and Evolution so much, they're EXACTLY how I think X-Men should always have been done.)

New X-Men I've been going back and forth between thinking about dropping it and not dropping it for sometime now. Mercury Falling, I liked; the arc before that, I didn't; the arc before that, I did; etc. And I don't think I'm going to like this arc much, due to the reasons mentioned above. Plus, the series hasn't had a good ongoing artist since the House of M ended, and this Skottie Young guy looks to be the worst yet-- honestly, that's my biggest beef with it, right there.

So, eh. We'll see how this plays out.

Rockslide should totally get his own miniseries, though.

20. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

:stick: