New ways to animated a TF series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Inikalord, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    I thought it would be good for a topic to duscuss new ways that new TF series's could be made with.

I , for one, would like to see an entire series done in stopmotion with voice actors reprising their roles like Frank Welker as Megatron for example. Doing a series like this would be less costly and is probably the easiest to animate between CGI and Hand Drawn Animation.

What other Idea's do you think there could be?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

With actual voice actors? So all of the recent shows were using mice and whatever they make R2-D2's voice with?

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If they use TF toys for the stop-motion, I'm game. The resulting disbelief/rage would be delicious.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They have that. It's called "Robot Chicken". :) 

Hell, Frank Welker even did Megatron and Soundwave's voices for one skit.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Actually, Stopmotion animation is significantly MORE expensive than both CGI and traditional cel animation. It requires additional time for each frame, as the entire set must be perfectly posed again and again (say, between 30-60 times for every second of footage), and even worse, every object shown has to be designed, sculpted, painted and detailed, and most likely multiple copies must be made, requiring specialized skills and again, more time. Also, its very difficult to get fluid movement and animation in stopmotion, especially if you're not using something like clay as the medium.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see some stopmotion, but I think I'd rather see commercials like the old diaclone stuff than a full series.

Also, "retro" voice actors reprise their roles in transformers all the time. Welker and Cullen are doing Megatron and Prime in... well, Prime, Judd Nelson and Susan Blu did Rodimus and Arcee in Animated, etc. etc.

6. Inikalord

Ebay:
    I guess I didnt quite type what I meant to say correctly

7. Inikalord

Ebay:
    True, but theyre only segments and not an entire 30 minute episode or whatever

8. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    There's a reason Robot Chicken episodes are only 11 min. long.

9. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    The stop-motion should be paper, like the first South Park episode. I'm sure that'll go over well.

10. Inikalord

Ebay:
    I can see where you are going with this and its quite the good debate I must say, however, I must disagree with you on something.

Stopmotion, in my retrospect, is far less expensive that traditional cel animation and CGI, while it is time consuming, it is also the least time consuming, I do also know that stopmotion is the least expensive in making, since 1 frame is far easier to make than an entire frame which must be drawn out, styled, coloured and made sure to go along with the previous frame.

In my preference over Diaclone, id rather have advertisements like the old ones back in the 80's which Japan animated, like for example the Headmasters advertisements with Chromedome and other Headmasters.

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Untrue, as in many frames of cel animation, backgrounds, body parts, and other features are recycled, and only the portions of the action moving are redrawn (for example, the mouths in "talking head" shots). In comparison, the entirely of each scene must be constructed in the real world in stop animation, a cost that dwarfs that of cel animation. Just as every part of an animation cel must be planned, drawn out and colored, stop motion is similarly storyboarded, planned out, built, painted, posed, and then shot (hey that's more steps, isn't it?). Ever notice how in most stop motion features, sets are small and minimalist (or simply painted backdrops), devoid of objects superfluous to the plot? That's because it's far more expensive to make those objects than to just draw them in, in the case of cel animation. Is that the kind of style you want for TF? Also, you concede that stop motion animation takes more time to create than cel or cgi. That time represents an additional cost, in terms of the labor of the staff that must be paid to create the stopmotion feature, again making it more expensive than cgi/cel animation.

Furthermore, the idea that stopmotion is less expensive than cgi animation is ludicrous. Cgi works in a very similar manner to stopmotion, with digital models manipulated and posed in an environment and these poses strung together to form animation. However, cgi represents significant advantages over stopmotion in that, firstly, it removes the cost and limitations of building physical models, especially multiple models, as the digital models can be easily duplicated and/or reused by multiple users simultaneously (as opposed to a single, physical model, which can only be photographed in one place at a time). CGI animation also has the advantage of simplifying inbetweening, meaning less frames have to be manually posed, as mathematical algorythms can be used in the software to move from one pose to another automatically, as well as to excercise more precise control over the positioning of individual nodes. For a real world example, CGI special effects literally drove stopmotion effects out of business by being more cost effective. ILM, one of the most successful and renowned users of stopmotion (or as they called their variation of it, go-motion) and physical effects, has completely phased out their physical effects department in favor of CGI animation.

Also, and I'm definitely being a grammar nazi here, I don't think retrospect means what you think it means. Sorry, but that really stuck out for me.

12. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    Inika meant to say "opinion."

13. Inikalord

Ebay:
    ahhh i see now, thanks for that Matrixbeast.

Well, I guess this topic really dosnt serve much purpose anymore.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Not true, being a more expensive medium means that its unlikely that we'll see a full-on stopmotion TF cartoon, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool, especially if they used it in commercials or web content, like I mentioned. But since CGI is cheaper and more "mainstream" now, we'd probably be more likely to see that.

Stopmotion is also a medium where I think the average fan can make their own animations more easily than a CGI or cel-based feature. Since time is the biggest factor, if a fan does it on their own time, for free, it's possible to do it, especially as the toys become more articulated and video produciton equipment becomes more universally available. There's already been people who've done stopmotion stuff, that general lee transformer video comes to mind.

15. Inikalord

Ebay:
    I guess your right

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    another problem if they used toys for stop motion show is that everything would be mistransformed....do you REALLY want a show with the abomination that is the official photo of universe 2.0 sideswipe walking around......wait, i want that to happen now :lol 

17. Inikalord

Ebay:
    Hehe, well thats the thing, if there were series made with stopmotion then it would have to be made with people who know how to transform the figures.

18. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    Aren't they doing stop motion commercials now?

19. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd honestly be happy with a 2d cell style but with some actual effort(or rather money) put into it as I found Animated horrid apart from when they recycled parts or if the animation was used in publicity clips. (that was not a slur against the style but rather the quality)

as for Other mediums CGI has a clear use its cheaper in the long run since you can just reuse the same elements over and over but unless its animated really well it can look cheap. A good example is beast wars VS Energon while the CGI is nicer in Energon when your just looking at stills or the character models BW's animation was just done that much better when it came to movment that to me it was clearly the better of the two when it came to quality.

Stop motion or cut out. I honestly cant see them working unless the context is comedic.