New universe toys are cool but..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rodr-Evil, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

...they feel cheap. Damn, last night I bought Prowl, Octane and Sunstreaker... what can I say, they are GREAT designs but if they had better quality plastic they will be awesome. Or just imagine this toys made in die cast, that would be really a updated G1.
    Anyway I can't wait for complete the rest of my Classics.

Damn, please move this to the toys discussion, sorry.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Imagine if they looked like they are advertised on the package...best line evah then.

Personally, I'd be willingly to pay $11-12 a figure for better paint apps.

3. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

Im felling this problem since Armada.

4. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Man, My Tankor and Sunstreaker are awesome. perfect pain, no chip, it's all good.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really not understanding where the "cheaper plastic" complaint always comes from. We get that same complaint for virtually every new line that comes out. If that were actually true, TFs would be made of pop bottles by now.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Oy, again with the die cast.
    *face palm*

7. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Face it, unless it's an Encore, Titanium, or MP we're probably not going to have die-cast parts for anything anytime soon.

I won't say quality has to do with the fact that I don't collect anything except for G1 or Classics - but it does play a part. When compared to any of the Unicron story toys (or BW), I think the quality of the Universe Classics are pretty good. I agree that metal parts would help, but design-wise the toys are solid and are a fitting tribute to their G1 counterparts.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

First of, die-cast parts would only hurt TFs like this. It would reduce articulation, minimize details, raise costs and throw off their balance.

As for their quality, I display my new universe figs in a mix of numerous different lines, including A/E/C stuff, RiD and movie figs and even some beastwars and animated stuff. There is no reduction of quality. At all. Any problems the new figs had are things that RiD, Beastwars, hell even G2 guys, had.

It's perfectly fine to not like these new figures, there's plenty of things I have passed and will pass on. But to say that these guys lack quality is not a valid reason to dislike them because there is no lack of quality. My RiD sideburn has the same paint problems and pop-off-joints-if-handled-wrong situation as any of the new Universe stuff.

9. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    But for us old-school collectors that grew up with G1, everything G2 and later has been somewhat of a letdown in quality because of the lack of die-cast parts, at least IMHO.

I will admit that a lack of die-cast has allowed for some better paint apps, designs, and articulation, but I prefer sturdiness and at least being able to transform the toy without popping a joint off.

I wouldn't say there's a lack of quality nowadays, it's just during the evolution of TF toys there have been trade-offs and compromises in qualities.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Screw die-cast, just give us back rubber wheels.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think all TF figures should come plain and you have to paint them yourself. :p 

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Don't you remember what happened when they tried bringing back diecast?
    Titanium series, and it was generally hated.

Floppy joints, flaking paint, poses nearly impossible with most due to balance issues caused by die-cast.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    True.

I haven't had this problem.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've never had any problems with "cheaper plastic" in the past. If anything I've had TF figures that feel like they're made out of more durable plastic. Specifically the two Animated figures I have so far (Prowl and Lockdown). Something about them feels more sturdy and durable than previous TF toys.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it's more the jointing that makes some people think the quality is lacking. Sometimes joints do feel a bit iffy to me, especially is they're composed of more than just a normal ball and socket. The actual 'shell' plastics feel fine to me.

16. Optimus Sledge

The idea I had was for Hasbro to release a box of unpainted, unassembled Classics Seekers parts, containing enough parts for two or three Seekers so you could paint and assemble your own characters. I know I'd buy it, and I can't paint for toffee.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'd buy that too. It'd make painting them a bit easier, as you wouldn't have to take them apart to do so, and there would really be no reason to prime them, as everything's already the same color. While it would be an awesome thing to see, it's just not something I see them ever doing. We'd have a better chance of seeing accessory packs before we'd ever see anything like this. If only petitions could actually work, I'd start one for this idea, and one for the Deluxe Cosmos design.

18. Optimus Sledge

Yeah, it's never going to happen. But I can dream. *sigh* And I've really come around to liking the idea of weapon packs. I'm getting sick of rummaging through KO parts everytime I think something like "The Universe Lambo mold's gun is fine for Sunstreaker, but Sideswipe is going to need more of a rifle," and then spending ten minutes with a Stanley knife shaving plastic off a Robot Masters KO rifle.

19. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I honestly think the plastic is fine. As far as the die cast thing don't we have another thread talking about that already? Diecast is cool for the past toys but I really don't think it is a feasible or even good idea right now.

20. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    You are not claiming that die-cast makes the figure more sturdy and easier to stand are you- The titaniums are big pieces of junk because of the weight/un-sturdiness.

And it seems a lot of people these days dont understand why the toy parts pop off so easily. THIS WAS INTENTIONAL. If you grew up with G1 figures you have to know that a ton of people broke parts of their figures because they forced pieces to move in certain ways. The plastic ball joints and pieces that pop off are made that way so that we can avoid breaking our figures entirely.

I am with the other poster - I own every classic out there (in my area) so far (except the three exclusive seekers) and IMO they are the best line ever put out quality and look wise.