New twilight book coming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guard convoy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bingo. This drivel takes everything Bram Stoker put in his book and shits on it.
    And you know what? We're perfectly entitled to rag on it as much as we damn well like.
    I mean, really; I have to wonder why half of you even clicked on this thread in the first place - it was blatantly obvious what it was going to be like. And yet here you are, taking pops at the people who don't like Twilight for no really decent reason (well, at least one of you does this in almost every thread where anyone reacts negatively to anything, so I expect it from him; but the rest of you? Really?).
    So perhaps a better question for you to ask than
    "why did you even bother starting this thread?"
    would be
    "why am I so seemingly butthurt by this thread's existence anyway?"
    Seriously. Hit the back button and move on.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

How the fuck does one series about fictional characters of the same genre shit on Bram Stoker? Honestly Draven, you of all people should know better than that. It's nothing more than a poorly written series about vampires. Nothing more and nothing less, and the very idea that it is somehow disgracing or ruining previous works of fiction is beyond ******ed. If someone said that about the Bay movies in the movie forum, you'd have my EXACT reaction right now.

And let's be serious here, Stroker's Dracula isn't far removed from today's idea of what is considered emo. And neither are Anne Rice's vampires for that matter. So Meyers is definitely not treading any new ground when it comes to that department.

And the sparkling, I seem remember Stroker's Dracula being able to walk around in overcast daylight. So do the vampires of Supernatural.

But I know you've read the series, so at least you can rail against it. It those that rail against it without having read a single word that are idiots.

I think we all should have just done to begin with, or better yet just not have made a thread about this to begin with. But no, we can defend just as much as you can hissy fit. :) 

3. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Really man, I mean absolutely no offense and everything, but as soon as I read your post this is what I thought of.

Are you kidding me?
    HOW IS IT THAT THIS
    [​IMG]
    RUINS THIS?
    [​IMG]

1. Do you think that Bram Stoker himself would care at all? Do you really think that if he was alive and read Twilight, he'd be saying "Oh No, I'm ruined!".

2. Bram Stoker did not invent vampires. If we're getting mad at Meyer for ruining vampires, then we should be getting just as mad at Stoker for not staying true to what vampires first were. Which is the first thing I personally think of when people talk about vampires. From all the movies I've seen, it's Nosferatu that's closest to what I would consider a 'true' vampire.

3. The only reason most people hate it is because this isn't horror. This is a romance. I can guarantee, that if this wasn't a romance story but instead a horror story, then people wouldn't be nearly as mad at Meyer as they are now.

4. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I think its safe to say every generation is going to have 1 or more Vampire novels, movies and/or television series..heck I think there's going to be 3 TV series this summer and fall about Vampires.. so they're here to stay..stupid stories and kinda cool ones.. let it go..

As for the Twilight series I have read the entire series..it wasn't the best or the worst Vamp series.. just a little outlandish love story, that's all. This latest release about the "baby" vampire..well, she's going to allow fans to upload it for free..so let the fans do that and you can continue to ignore it.. Now..breathe in, breathe out..Think calm thoughts :D 

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  6. smkspy

Wow, and that is insanely awesome for an author to do. Whether you hate the series or not, you have to admit that.

7. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I just think its shit.

There are plenty of cool chicks that hate Twilight too, so you don't have to suffer through any of it to score with one.

Unless you secretly want to.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Why is it that before anyone says anything they know full well will probably piss someone off, they write crap like that? Next time you decide to put word into my mouth, make sure they're the right ones.
    Oooo, capital letters! You MUST be right then!
    No. because he would have already been paid. This is a poor argument at best.
    No, really? :rolleyes2 
    No, I'm mad at Meyer for writing utter rubbish and passing it off to gullible teens and lonely bored housewives as vampires. Stoker was a fuckload closer to the legends than she is. He took out some of the nastier aspects of the original legends to make it more readable, but that's pretty much it. And he certainly didn't turn them into a bunch of sparkly, perfect wondervamps.
    That I agree with. Based on Stoker's story as it is. And I do hope you mean the 1922 Walter Murnau version. Which I personally consider to be the definitive version; I wasn't nearly as keen on the Werner Herzog one, and I loathed the extremely tenuously linked "sequel".
    Not me. I hate it because it is poorly written and barely rises above the level of a fan fiction. Meyer has basically inserted herself into her own book, and done it incredibly poorly. For examples, go Google "Twilight drinking game". I can watch a romance if it is well done, but Twilight is NOT well done even in that respect.
    Incidentally I don't class Interview With the Vampire as horror either, but it was a hell of a lot better crafted than Twilight. It was interesting, engaging and featured characters who were memorable for the RIGHT reasons.
    Saying that people would think differently of it if it wasn't a romance is like watching a football match and saying "if that ball had gone in the net, it would have been a goal". It's an utterly pointless statement.

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I personally don't like it for a number of reasons. They're terribly written books that are giving a small part of an entire generation a bad idea of what good writing is; they read like an 8th grader's fanfic. In truthfulness, I can only claim this about the first book, having not bothered with any of the rest. It's the same with movies. When I see comments about how these are the best movies ever, it makes me sad. Even as a TF fan, I know ROTF wasn't the best movie of the year. But the Twi-hards and Twidows who show up night after night really deserve better than a bastard cross between a Lifetime and a SyFy original movie.
    It's also bringing in lots of roles for nearly talentless people; Robert Pattinson is his generation's Kevin Costner, and Kristen Stewart can't seem to get the look of dull surprise off her face. Thanks to Twilight, though, they're getting roles that could have gone to decent actors and made the movies that much more enjoyable.
    The whole sparkly vampire thing is annoying, too. No, it doesn't ruin the concept of vampires forever, but it's the most watering down of a concept I've seen in a long time. Even Anne Rice's vampires could explode in sunlight. So, while interesting concepts like 'Daybreakers' get almost ignored to be fair, it was loaded with good concepts, but weighed down by its story), Twilight 3 tickets will probably start selling out the day they go on sale. Without Twilight, there might be room for more interesting Vampire fare.

Plus, it's stupid. Stephanie Meyer is the Michael Bolton of literature.

10. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

This is actually how I feel. Thanks for summing it up, you two!

11. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Christ dude, you gotta stop being so funny. :lolol 

12. smkspy

They are terribly written, but it's a fad just like the Harry Potter books were a fad, which opened the door and created an audience for the Twilight books. Note, this isn't a comment on the quality of the Potter books, just a statement of what they are.

And yet we've had quite a few people on this very board saying the Transformer movies are the best movies ever. Someone somewhere will think "X" movie is the best movie evah.

Yeah, actors like Shannon Elizabeth and Jake Busey aren't getting parts because of Twilight! This kinda a strawman argument. Before Twilight, Kristen Stewart was in 17 movies including: Panic Room, The Messengers, and Into the Wild. Her career was doing quite fine before the series. Pattinson was in 8 movies, and judging by IMDB his career doesn't seem to be exploding with projects that aren't Twilight at the moment. I thinks we have a new Mark Hammil on our hands.

This is strawman too, plus it's just delusional to say that without Twilight more vampire movies might get made. It's like saying, "without Transformers, more transforming robot movies might get made."

And honestly, Daybreakers didn't get ignored because of Twilight. Daybreakers got ignored because very few want to watch a movie with Ethan Hawke in it.

13. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Because that's honestly what I thought when reading your post. It was nothing that was meant to make you angry, and that's why I wrote that. I realized that I might have seemed like a bit of a jerk right there, so I wrote that.

Okay, I put those in caps so it would be easier to see it between and next to the pictures. I didn't like how it looked in lowercase. No need to be a douche.

Then people need to stop acting like he would be pissed.

YA RLY

I'm not saying he wasn't. I said this before, I don't like Twilight either. But I realize that as with many other fictional characters/creatures/stories, there are going to be variations. So I got over it and let this fad do it's thing. Fascinate and anger people for a while, then burn up and watch the ashes blow away.

Agreed on everything except for the bolded part.
    I write fan fictions, movie scripts, comics, and a couple of books. I know I'm a better writer then Meyer. Although I won't go too much into that, since it's not that big of a deal.

True.

Maybe I should have expanded on that a little bit. Although I don't quite know how to say what I want to say...

Everything on here I completely agree with. We could get better vampire movies likely if Twilight wasn't the current look for vampires. But like you said, it hasn't ruined vampires forever, and like I said, it's only a fad.

Eeewww.....Why did Michael Bolton have to get into this?

14. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

.... Now I'm undecided about either Hiraga's or Draven's opinion. Because I'm a fanfic writer, and I know I'm way better than Meyer, but Draven's also seems up some of my feelings.

Argh, inter-conflicts!!!

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I apologise if I offended fanfic writers. I could have worded that better. I write fanfics myself. Hell, I CG mine.
    What I meant with that rekmark was the numerous awful self-insertion fanfics that litter the net.

16. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

:lol  My sides are splitting!

But seriously, If emo teenage girls want to read it then let them, Not My problem, Not Your problem, Boom decision made, I'm out.

17. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

"It was like reading her sexual fantasy, especially when she said it was based on a dream and it was like, ‘Oh I’ve had this dream about this really sexy guy,’ and she just writes this book about it. Like some things about Edward are so specific, I was just convinced, like, ‘This woman is mad. She’s completely mad and she’s in love with her own fictional creation.’ And sometimes you would feel uncomfortable reading this thing. It’s kind of a sick pleasure in a lot of ways."

-Robert Pattinson

Lulz

Bella is a total Mary sue. Stephanie Meyer even said her character was based off of her. lmao

18. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

so you dont like the book, big whoop want to fight about it?

19. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is just something new for the teenage girls to get excited about.

Anyway, I agree with Smkspy about Pattinson will always be type casted as Edward when the series ends.