New TRU commemorative series

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Usp45shooter, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Usp45shooter

Usp45shooter New Member

I was at toys r us yesterday and saw that they had perceptor and the insecticons as a commemorative set. i bought the insecticons but then opened the clamshell and noticed they changed the names of bombshell and shrapel. They are renamed hardshell and Sharpshot. But the kept kickback the same name. i dont get this

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    trademarks, warfare words, pick your favorite excuse/reason

BTW welcome to the boards

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yup Brricy has it either they lost the trademark or they wanted them to sound less warlike, that said i lean towards a trademark issue

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably Hasbro can't use "Bombshell" and "Shrapnel" any more for some sort of trademark reason or another (they don't own the trademarks any more, too generic to be trademarked, etc). Not sure why they didn't just slap 'Decepticon' in front of the names (like "Autobot Jazz" and others) and use that, though.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

They're still Shrapnel and Bombshell to me.

6. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    i have wondered about that my self and I have begun to wonder if it has to do with the length of the word/term

Decepticon
    Autobot

as you can see its 3 letters longer than Autobot and might cause issues with package designs since they have standard packaging and just swap out names and images when making them up and they may have a maximum length of name and adding Decepticon in front would limit the size of the rest of the name of course this is just my thoughts and i could be way off

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If they lost the trademark for the names, than just adding Decepticon to the front wouldn't work. The Reason that Jazz and Ratchet have Autobot in front of their names is because their names are also common words, and thus can't be trademarked as-is, so Hasbro adds Autobot, or in the case of Brawl, Decepticon to the front so they can trademark it. Adding Autobot or Decepticon to the front of a name another company has trademarked doesn't work.

As far as I can tell length of the names has never been an issue. Interrogator Barricade is a good example of a long name that was used.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Nightwatch Optimus Prime is the best example... and yes, slapping "Autobot" or "Decepticon" in front of a name only works if the word is too common to defend in court, not when another company already has it.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Wasn't Hasbro trying to buy back these names?

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What toy company has a Bombshell or Shrapnel toy out?

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure about Bombshell and Shrapnel specifically, but I don know they are trying to get some older names back. Trailbreaker and Motormaster being two of which I know they are having trouble with.

I don't know. Another company owning the trademarks could be the issue (it's been the most likely problem with other similar situations), but like others have said it could also be Hasbro not wanting to use war related words.

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    fair point but imagine if they had to slap Decepticon in front of that lol

no clue but they would not need to have a toy out with the name only possess the legal rights to said names which would keep Hasbro from using them

13. Usp45shooter

Usp45shooter New Member

yeah i figured it might have something to do with trademark issues but how do you loose a trademark. werent they trademarked when they came out in '84, or whenever? I mean they are the exact re-dos I just thought it was odd

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Trademarks only last a certain amount of years. They have to be re-applied for to keep them. Hasbro and Takara have been good at keeping most of the major one's (Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, etc), but some others have been lost due to them not using them. Trailbreaker is an example of one that, after a certain amount of time, they didn't re-apply for, so they lost it. It's also one they are attempting to get back.

15. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I wonder if they are planning a Trailbreaker figure for a new universe/classics line. Same with Motormaster.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    seems likely, motormaster will be hard to get since it is a tire brand now i think, either motor or moto, one of the two, trailbreaker is one of the few 84 classics bots not remade yet too a new motormaster would be awesome

17. grimlock1972

News Credits: