new trend in custom auctions? (more of a rant)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, May 1, 2009.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Seems many of the newer auctions I've been to have the same 2 annoying features. I've decided to turn my speakers off while surfing customs on ebay.

1) why have so many been using the "Slide" photos slideshow? With the "old film" effect over the images? Those slidershows are terrible to navigate through, show small images, and if clicked - navigate me to an outside site from Slide (which on occasion prompts pop up ads as well) It's one thing to post links in an auction, but why target on the same page? I wish that if I were to click one of these outside links, a new tab would pop up with that URL.

2) Music? While I admit I am guilty of adding some to prior auctions, I think there is a defined line to what might sound over the top music wise. I've hit several auctions lately which pump terrible foreign sounding techno music through my speakers. While I sometimes appreciate the instant wake-up if I am feeling tired, I don't feel "japanese techno trance mix #8" is going to incline me to bid on a custom Hound figure.

3) Auctiva? WTF is that? it causes the auction to load up much slower than others, and adds tons of useless crap to the auction page. It features other random auction that have nothing to do with the auction I am browsing.

4) Custom auctions with only 2 or 3 pictures (usually small too) ...thanks Satomi for reminding me of that

/done ranting.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I haven't encountered too many auctions with music in the background, but I can't stand auctions of the custom figures that only provide 1 or 2 default pics. Those are usually too small and blurry to make out any details whatsoever. Another gripe I have is auctions that only have photos of the TF custom in one alt mode and not the other

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    added to the list man!

4. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about mix #9 that is a good one!!!:dj 

Yes, I have noticed these as well and Sometimes these auction are so loaded with stuff my web browser crashes and I have to shut it down and restart it, thank god firefox has the save feature.

I'm not really savvy on HTML codes and what not. But both you and Autobot X23 have auction with all the visuals and impressive rotating galleries but the won't kill my comp. These other auction only have a fraction and it takes 25 minutes to load it up.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think it's one thing to do this if you're just selling a regular TF. But a custom TF that's detail-oriented...not so much.

6. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Hey hey hey! Japanese techno trance mix number 8 is my favorite song!.......or was it numer 7?......lol / jk. No really, I listen to alot of electronic music, and I can see how that would get annoying on an ebay auction.

7. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not everyone knows advanced HTML coding so all they have are these easy to add "annoyances" to their auctions. I like slide, ive never had a problem with it and maybe you shouldnt have your speakers up so loud if things that pop up give you such a jolt? I have mine down or off until i want to watch something.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    There are millions of tasteful auctions on ebay, HTML isn't a requirment at all. If anything I'd guess adding Slide to one falls into somewhere of knowing more than what ebay already provides to their sellers.
    Slide is garbage. it's not resizable and is full of pop ups and banners and tiny pics. And why add the "old film graininess" effect?
    Volume has nothing to do with poor taste in auction music. If you HAVE to add music, it should be subtle, period.

9. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    man, I wish I could have an auction like yours, but for now, I have to use Auctiva. It works wonders.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    But he also makes a point. Not everyone knows is out to be some supermarketer on ebay. Some people just want to sell their stuff, their customs, etc. This is why ebay lets the seller basically set it up the way they feel comfortable with. So you set yours up great, with all the bells and whistles (I like it, it looks professional, and it obviously helps with your auctions). If Joe Blow wants to go basic, let him--why is this really an issue? You can NOT control someone else's auction, how the decide to set it up, or how it will ultimately do. If they choose to set it up cheap and easy, then it's their own fault if it doesn't do well because of this. HTML may not be a requirement, but then again, neither is slapping up some fancy professional auction either. Let them do as they please and you keep doing what you do. Some people don't have the time, patience, or know how to do an auction like yours. As for your rant here, it's all opinion, man. Sure, their choices may not be the best--but it's up to them to decide, not you.

As for the music thing, I find it annoying also.......which is why I also keep my sound low or off until I actually want to hear something. There have been too many times in the past where the sound was left up and I was surprised (ears blown out) because something crazy popped on. I don't like the loud shit hitting me until I really want to hear something loud.

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    1) It's HIS auction.

2) It's HIS choice.

3) Because HE wants to.

I really don't see any reason to keep questioning why someone uses their free will to determine how they want to set up their own personal ebay auctions. Again, I repeat, you can NOT control what others choose to do with their own auctions. You've stated your opinions, so that's about all you can do.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You're right, it is opinion... but at the same time 10+ years in web development's taught me some of the cardinal rules for web design (or lack of) Bottom line, I think if you're selling a product, your "store" appearance from where you sell it is important to have look great. It doesn't require great design or HTML skill, it's about using and removing elements to better help sell your item.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    And, I see plenty of reasons. I see auctions for great customs sell for less than cost. I see emails that I get asking for "ebay auction listing help", I see good auctions succeeding because they avoid these areas. Is it opinion or fact that ugly doesn't sell?

While I'm at it...
    encline, would you rather use Auctiva again, or let me shoot you some HTML and/or tips for your next auction?

15. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I definitely understand your point and I agree. But at the same time, who am I to tell someone how to set up their auction? I wish some of those auctions looked much better also. And it would be nicer to see it set up along the lines of yours or others who do take the time to crank out some nice ones. But in the end, some people are simply out to toss something on ebay, regardless of the way the auction looks or gets set up. But I do see where you're coming from, man.

I also have to agree about the customs auctions with only 2-3 pics. You really can't judge it and it would make me either ask 20 questions or turn away from it.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not "telling" anyone how to list their auction (honestly, the crappier they look, the more they will get unnoticed and possibly add traffic and bids to my auctions) These are just new trends I've been seeing which have made me bring the matter to attention via a discussion thread.........

17. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

Auctiva sucks it is just a gimmick that some ebayers fall for i did at first but removed it long before dabbling in custom auctions. Slide shows can be ok but i have found them useless and the film grain effect is retarded looks like you are trying to hide something. Music has never bothered me or deterred me i just turn it off. Also it is getting harder to add quality music because of the crack down on copyright infringement. As far as techno it is rather a neutral music in the most part so it seems to be pretty good if it is not to over the top or overused/ played out

18. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    If you were to toss a new Devastator on auction, without your usual setup, I'd be willing to bet it would still do well based on the detailed photos you provide. So I believe "ugly" can sell. And by this I mean a bland auction setup. You could leave it barebones and it would do well. Part of it might be name recognition, but if someone still posts detailed shots of their auction piece, it should be fine.

Setting it up to look nice is just icing on the cake. It makes you, as a seller, seem more professional, but it's still the same auction pics. A truly informed buyer would be cool with any auction setup. They are out to purchase something they want or like, but you as a seller feel that the auction should look uber professional. That's great, because there are a lot of sellers that feel the same way. Just know that ugly can certainly sell (I mean, I've seen enough of those TFTM2 figures over the last few months where the auction was the most basic I've ever seen, only had 2 pics, and still sold very well).

It's all a matter of opinion though--you enjoy creating professional-style auctions, others may just want to go the easy route for whatever reasons. I can't stop 'em, so why waste time worrying about someone else's auction? I'd worry about my own instead.

19. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

oh one thing to add. it sucks very much badly being new and not knowing what will work and what will hurt you. most of us have to learn the HARD way. :( 

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    another good reason for this topic ;)