New Tolkein book in 07!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zzeezz, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Hey guys,
    I don't know if anyone else would be interested in this, but I read on cnn that JRR Tolkein's son is going to publish a new edited version of his father's "Children of Hurin" story.

Being a huge Tolkein fan, this is welcome news, but like I said I don't know if anyone else on this board is as much of a fan.

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    JRR is going to be straight up representing from the great beyond like 2Pac and Biggie.

Word! Middle Earth rep-RE-sent bia!

3. Zzeezz

No kidding! After this book, I think that every word that Tolkein ever scribbled on paper will have been published.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Good grief. Between this and Frank Herbert's son Brian building stories from his father's notebooks, I've got to wonder if terrific writers give their sons HORRIBLE complexes about not being able to compete or what.

I mean, in theory it's a great idea to get more stories set in familiar universes. But, it just never seems to work out as well as it seems like it should.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    quick and dirty, but I felt inspired

[​IMG]

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not interested in Tolkien myself, but I would much rather have Herbert's notes and outlines in print rather then have his son trading off the family name to sell dodgey books based on them with Kevin J Cantwrite.

7. Night Flame

Agreed, and I feel the same about Tolkien as I do about Herbert. I'd much rather see copied pages out of old, falling-apart notebooks of the actual notes they took than to see the books that are based loosely on those notes. As a writer myself, it'd lend insight to the minds of the men behind the stories, and probably be far more fun to let our imaginations run wild with the possibilities of what those notebooks contained.

8. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Im never going to understand the attraction people have to Tolkien's work. It's overly dramatized and way too long and drawn out. The entire Lord of the Rings story could've been told in maybe half of the pages it ended up takng up. Description is an intregal part of story telling, but Tolkien took it to the extreme with LoTR.

Of course, maybe my opinion is biased seeing as how I don't even like the premise behind LoTR.

9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Have you read the sequal to Chapterhouse Dune yet? It's just... yeah...

Because unlike a lot of the ones that followed, his world had an extremely complicated level of depth. The only writer to come close to matching this was Herbert, oddly enough.

10. Zzeezz

Christopher Tolkein has done both. He "finished" the Silmarilian before it was published. But, he also has published the "History of Middle Earth" which is 10+ volumes of Tolkein's notes, short unfinished stories, drafts, rewrites, and on and on.

11. Night Flame

You obviously haven't tried to stumble through the Wheel of Time books. Good god, Robert Jordan took the "stretch description to the limit" clause WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously in his study of Tolkien.

12. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Tolkien gets 'props' because he is the father of modern fantasy. He didn't do it BEST he did it FIRST.

Lots of people think it is 'boring' because so many other universes have expanded and tell much more interesting stories based on his framework for the modern fantasy. When you read some fantasy garbage about Dwarves and Elves and dragons and shit... you can just skip along to the story because whatever the writer doesn't fill in, you fill in with TOLKIEN background.

LotR reads boring and slow and is not written at a very high reading level. The Hobbit is actually VERY easy to read... almost Harry potter levels.

But it was first... and thousands of people every day write books, design games, whatever... everything based on the LotR universe.

13. Night Flame

Just to clear up a possible misconception, I love the Tolkien books. The movies I'm lukewarm on, but I LOVE those books. It laid the groundwork for all that was to come. And considering that they were, to the writer, nothing more than an excuse to explore his own languages, the results are nothing short of spectacular.

Unfortunately, some of the modern writers have taken the stance that they can do Tolkien better than Tolkien did. What they don't realize is that people in the modern age aren't expecting you to present them with a room sized calculator and call it technology when they carry around more powerful things in the palm of their hand every day. Expectations advance. The classics are the classics, but you can't write the same way today and expect the same results.

Hope that makes some sense. My disappointment in modern fiction, particularly with guys like Tad Williams and Robert Jordan is that they continue to try and prove that they are better than the original masters of their genres. Unfortunately, at this point in the game, they need to be different from the masters, not better.

Blah, I'm rambling, and I didn't even have any beer tonight.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lol

this is the remix.

i need to do a hip hop/lotr spoof.