New to Transformers Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superious, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Superious

Superious Devourer of Galaxies

I've been a fan of Transformers since i was a kid(im 26)and i never really got into all the toy hooplah(horrible word), but over the last 2 months i've really become very intrested in it. So......

1. Where do i start?
    2. What should i look out for?
    3. Any other advice?

To anyone who helps me out i offer my sincerest thanks.

2. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Head over to Walmart, buy one or two of everything! Just fooling around, man. Welcome to the TF world!

3. AMG

AMG Old School

Start with the series you enjoy the most. Pick up some favorite characters.

Look for good deals here or on EBay.

Take you time and enjoy the hobby.

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

At this point, if you enjoyed G1, just go to a local store and buy the Transformer toy that looks the best to you. There are very few out right now that you should avoid. Go on, trial-and-error from there. It would also be a good idea to check out some video reviews on Youtube. Peaugh does some excellent reviews on upcoming and recently released toys.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Personally, I looked through the Resource pages on this website to see just what I had missed since my childhood and pieced together a list of items I wanted to track down. Then, between the stores and the Junkion Exchange, I slowly chip away at my list of wants.

And welcome! There's a hole around here somewhere where you can deposit your money ;) 

6. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    AMG summed it up nicely. I would add however, depending on the series you enjoy the most, keeping an eye out for "lots" on ebay might be a good way to jump start your collection.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
  8. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Yes, I just wish more people on Ebay knew what "lot" means. I'm sick of looking on there and so many list as a G1 lot, and its one missile, lol.

9. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
  10. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I agree with whoever said which series you like the most. I was born with G1 and I was going to go with the re-issues until I saw the Universe, Henkei, Generations, Reveal the Shield, and United line that I wanted to go more of an modern G1 route. Believe it or not, what you want to collect actually takes some time to figure out. Welcome to the club anyway.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I hear ya.
    Or even something like this:
    "Transformers Armada Unicron MIB MISB RID G1 lot Botcon WOW LQQK!!!!!!"
    :lol 

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There's a lot of good toys currently out and coming out. If you're a fan of the old Transfromers from the 80's, deffinately look for the yellow "Reveal the Sheild" packaging and red "Generations" packaging. (the latter is only available at the $15 Deluxe size) These assortements include many updates of classic characters and characters from more recent series with a few all-new personas thrown in. I recommend using the resource section of this site for detailed accounts of which figures are in which assortements. We also have a great feedback forum a ways down the index page of this forum where you can look up these figures and getimpressions from members here. Though most of the time, it'll just boil down to what you think looks good.

13. Superious

Thanks alot guys, its just really confusing with all the different lines and variations and trying to figure out what goes with what. I had the same trouble with my Marvel and DC stuff at the beginning, but it was easier because of the comics(i'm reading all the current Transformers trades and hardcovers as we speak).

I'm a big fan of the G1 stuff but i know some of that is hard to find, Armada was cool(although the animation for Energon and Cybertron weren't that good)and i really hope they do a Transformers Prime version of Ratchet, he looks amazing.

14. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to the fandom! In addition to collecting some toys try out the comics, even the marvel ones. They have trades of practically everything now :) 

As a suggestion, some people focus on specific aspects of a figure, like vehicle types, masterpiece only, or correct scale. :D 

15. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hear you on the confusion with the different lines. I'm still workin' on that one myself.

I stick with G1 & G2. It's a fun hunt to get the right figures in a particular condition that's acceptable to you. There are a few modern ones in my collection but only cuz they look wicked cool and remind me of their G1 predecessor. Definitely go at your own pace with it.

16. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

First welcome to TFW! My best advice as for were to start is what is at your local brick and mortar retailer. There are plenty of great figures in generations and HFTD and RTS. I highly recommend the RTS Battle in space 2 pack. Cyclonus and classics hot rod are great figures. If you like the movie characters LEader Starscream and prime are easy to find right now. Also always be on the look out for a good deal i have seen some members post amazing flea market and thrift store finds. Best advice ever for the fandom and toys is get what you like. MOst do not like armada toys but if you do go for it! Its your collection get what you want. Last bit of advice is some already posted just enjoy the hobby!

17. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello, Superious, and welcome to the forums! I understand your confusion with the current lines, I haven't been able to sort out the differences between Reveal the Shield and Generations, myself.

However I do suggest that you pick up a few random Transformers from Walmart to get a feel of the line. If you want to be on the safe side, I think most of the Generations toys are good.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'd say if you're just now starting, you'll have no nostalgia for previous incarnations of the toys. Start fresh and pick up the newer deluxes as has been mentioned: Classics, Universe, Hunt for the Decepticons, Generations, Reveal the Shield. Most are absolutely beautiful representations of some of the best characters in Transformers lore.

19. Superious

I just got an idea(my brain really hurts)i think my best bet is to start with my favorite Transformers, which are:

Soundwave
    Aerialbots
    Starscream
    Thundercracker
    Dinobots
    Jazz
    Unicron
    Devastator
    Cliffjumper
    Prowl
    Red Alert

If you guys have any advice on where to start with these characters would be awesome.

20. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Just be sure to watch reviews first! That's what I have always done, and I have never been disappointed with a purchase!