Customs: New to this, Help please.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RisingPhoenix86, Apr 8, 2011.

1. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    I wanna get into repainting figures and maybe remaking a few. What are good paints and also do I use brushes or what? Im totaly clueles but wanna do something productive with my free time. Any info about brushes, paint types, anything will be helpful. Also do you strip hasbros paint off then apply your own or do you just paint over it? Im sorry for the noobish questons but im very interested in this.Thanks! :) 

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

check out the tutorial section, it's pretty helpful. Read more than one, becasue everyone does thigns differently. If you still have some questions (or specific questions) then everyone else can chime in. Good luck!

Randy!

3. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    Thanks man. Glad atleast you replied.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Okay, a few things:

A) To strip off paint, use some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, dampened, and just sand it away. If that doesn't work, you can just take a blade to t and scrape it off (very carefully, of course). Most important is to sand off the grease-like layer on most Hasbro figures. This is mold-release. It's the thing that lets them remove the parts from the mold at the factory, and it will screw over your paint job. Get rid of it.

B) Brushes are completely subjective. You can use whatever you want, however, I think most of us agree: Brushes from department stores, y'know, the cheap ones that you get in bulk, they suck. They truly, utterly, completely suck. Go to your local hobby store, and get a brush there. Round, flat, experiment and see what works best for you.

C) Paints are just like brushes; use what you like most. I swear by Games workshop paints, and augment that with Mr. Hobby stuff. I know others would never leave Tamiya's selection for anything, and yet others that use Testor's and nothing but Testor's. There are even those who would use Apple Barrel (honestly, if you do, don't go to www.procustomisers.com as i remember a feud over there when a rogue member admitted to using Apple Barrel. The results weren't pretty, and frankly that reflects the results you'll get from Apple Barrel pretty well), which most advise against (never used it myself, but i trust the guys on this site enough not to).

Since you's just starting out, go for Acrylic paints, easy to wash off, easy to paint with, easy to remove if you screw it up. Enamels and Lacquers need special chemicals to remove them, acrylics just need water and a bit of elbow grease.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

True to some extent, though you don't have to start sanding to clear off mould release, just wash it.

Most of us probably try to get the factory paint off if we can, but that's often easier said than done. Soaking painted parts in high concentration alcohol will soften the paint; you should then be able to scrub it off with a stiff brush.

As Bigbot says, though, everyone does things differently, and it's virtually impossible to just give blanket advice to a new 'basher, without knowing what their previous experience is. I really do recommend having a look at the tutorials section first, read any relevant threads there, and then ask us again here if if you wind up with specific questions that you can't find the answers to.

Here's a link to the handy-dandy contents list for the tutes, so you can easily sift through and find what's useful to you. :) 
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/201900-table-contents.html