New to the boards, Newly returning to Transformers...help pls!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by craigisnutter, Aug 9, 2007.

1. craigisnutter

craigisnutter New Member

Hi guys,

i've seen the movie, it made me remaniss and i now want to return back to the good old days of Transformers figures.

Basically...where do i start?? I'm only really after the proper transforming figures, of the basic Transformer's characters. I believe you guys refer to them as G1?? Prime, Bumblebee etc etc

Also, what is rare, what should i be keeping an eye out for??

and finally, do the new figures transform?? or are they just in robot form??

any help, much apreciated guys!!
    Thx,

Craig

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Actually, there aren't that many TF products out there now that don't transform in some way, lol. It's not a "collector's" line, but, I do suggest that you get your hands on the Classics line. It's basically G1 characters updated to today's standards. We thought it was just a filler line, and was dead, but, it's going to start up again next fall under the Transformers Universe name. Oh, and welcome to the boards.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Transformers transform... Robot Replicas do not.

Fort max, Shockwave, Metroplex, Wheeljack, Mirage, Sunstreaker, Grimlock, Swoop, Slag, Snarle, Sludge, Scorponok, and Prime are fairly valuable/rare/in demand (I know there's more, but those are pretty much the big ones)

You might want to check out the Encore line from TakaraTomy. Soundwave, Prime, Megatron, and Starscream reissues. They were/are being released this week. If you look at the stores on the left-hand side of the screen, you can get the 4 of them for just under $200. They've got G1-style packaging.

Takara did some TFC Reissues... 20 or so of them... Starting at #0 Prime...

Hasbro did some reissues as well, but scrapped all the missle-launching mechanisms...

G1 is really out of my area of knowledge, so I'll let the pros handle it...

EDIT: Like Raven said, Classics are great, but fairly hard to come by now.
    EDIT2: You might want to read the sticky about KO's and stuff before buying any boxed G1

4. craigisnutter

craigisnutter New Member

i'm not so bothered about them being boxed, personally i'd quite like a nice loose collecting on shelves.

I'm an avid ebayer as it is, as i'm also a heavy collector or wrestling figures, family guys, simpsons and pretty much any figure i think is visually outstanding.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
  6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Classics are your best bet for owning the core cast. You might also want to have a look at the lineup for Cybertron and the Alternators - Alternators are bigger than average, but turn into real cars (similar to the original cars being based on real models) Some take more liberties than others, but it is a great assortment. Cybertron is less based on the original, but has many good designs.

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

First off...welcome back...

I agree with Ravenxl7...get into the classics line...great G1 characters updated...but you're kind of getting back in at a tough time...because of the movie...most all TF's on ebay have gone up in price...this will make getting the 80's originals a little more expensive...

And the classics are probably almost gone from all current store shelves...so it'll be a little tough with those also...but it's worth trying to get all of them with the line continuing in 2008...so you want to be ready for that...

6" Titaniums are still pretty hot...G1 Ultra Magnus should be on Target shelves this week along with Cheetor and The Fallen...

As far as "rare" or most expensive of the common G1 figures going on ebay at the moment...I would say Wheeljack, Jazz, Sunstreaker and the Dinobots...

And you can always find TRU reissues on ebay averaging around $25 each...

Can't help with the new movie figures...I'm staying away from them...

8. craigisnutter

craigisnutter New Member

ok guys,

thanx for all the help.

I believe i'm gonna be going for the Classic Deluxe and Voyager series', as well as the deluxe movie figures and keeping an eye out for any G1 i happen to stumble accross at bootsales etc (that's garage or flea market type sales for our brothers accross the pond!! ;)  ).

thanx again guys,

all the best, craig!!

9. Commtech

Commtech Voice Over Bot

News Credits:
    The classic deluxe line is what got me back into collecting TFs. Yes, they are hard to find now, especially Starscream, Grimlock, Prime and Megs. But if you want to start somewhere, you can order Mirage and Cliffjumper from Hasbrotoyshop.com :

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/SearchResults.htm?PG=6

use the promo code COMIC2007 at checkout for 10% off so shipping comes out free.

Anyway, welcome to boards and good luck!

10. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude if you're a g1 fan... check out Armada Unicron! I know he's not a g1 toy, but if you liked the original movie in 86, you'll love this toy. </g1 flashback>

11. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Welcome "back", craig :) ...

I'd start with the aforementioned Classics and Encore figures, you cannot go wrong with Masterpiece Prime whatsoever... and there are some very decent movie figures available, as well (give 'em a try).

There's also some good folks here in the Junkion Exchange who can help you get some stuff that you need to have.

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just go for the characters I like, and the best renditions of them. Take Mirage, cool character, but I definitely prefer the classics over the original G1. Same for ramjet too. Some of the BT/alternators are also great, like Wheeljack, Rodimus. But some of the G1 stuff just can't be beat like Soundwave and cassettes, combiners, Jetfire, Metroplex, minicars etc.(except wheelie, but he came in a lot... sneaky bastard got into my collection). Then there's the masterpiece versions.

I say just start looking through sites like this one and say, seibertron that have galleries, and get the stuff you like rather than trying to go all out and get every single G1 character($$$$$). And I'm also a loose figure on the shelf guy. I understand why some people might want boxes, or even MISB, but I'd rather take 'em out and enjoy them instead of having a shelf full of boxes.

Plus, when they're outta the boxes you can be up bored late at night posing rodimus kicking the crap outta barricade.

13. KingForm

KingForm Banned

It might not be what you want, but I really recommend the Beast Wars NEO toyline. Its the only toyline to give us such badass animals as the giraffe, mammoth, and tanuki.

They're mostly shellformers, but kick all kinds of ass and can usually be found for decent prices.

14. craigisnutter

craigisnutter New Member

thanx guys, all this info has been great.

So im gonna change the thread a bit after reading Prisoner1138's comments.

what versions of each character from what line is the best version is people's opinions??

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    as a newbie, the encore reissues a good place to start if youre into nostalgia.