New to modern Transformer collecting and the Prime series

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by luclin999, Dec 1, 2011.

1. luclin999

luclin999 Well-Known Member

For the past 20 years I have focused only on collecting G1 figures however I have to admit that the Transformers Prime series on HUB has managed to convince me to look into picking up a few figures from that series now as well.

Generally speaking, I think I understand the differences in "Scout", Deluxe", "Voyager" size figures but I did want make sure about some details before I start buying figures.

As I understand it, all figures in a "class" like Deluxe are in general going to be roughly the same size regardless of the scale that the figures are represented as in the TV series.

Which would mean that a "deluxe" Optimus Prime or Megatron are going to be considerably smaller than they should be when compared to a Deluxe Bumblebee, Arcee or Starscream.

Correct?

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Roughly, yes. The size classes are generally indicative of the figure's size, with exceptions here and there (the Transformers Animated line had some Deluxes that towered at Voyager height in robot mode, and some Voyagers that were downright stumpy).

So, yeah, Deluxe Optimus and Megatrom will be at a smaller scale when standing next to Bumblebee, Arcee, and Starscream, compared to their Voyager counterparts.

3. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've got it. If scale is important to you, you'll need the voyagers for the bigger guys. Deluxe class will all be roughly the same size regardless of the character.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It's better to think of them in mass or plastic quantity terms instead of just height. Figures like Animated Lockdown achieved size with very creative transformations, but he still was light as a deluxe, while Lugnut, a voyager, was shorter yet had the same weight (with mace) other voyagers had.

5. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

More or less, Correct! Although While Deluxe Arcee is the "same" height as BB, 'Screamer, etc. But for this shes far larger then she would be compared to series.
    As far as I know Scale brake down is such:
    Bots:
    Optimus- Voyager
    BB- Deluxe
    Bulkhead- Voyager
    Arcee- Scout/Deluxe? (Scale with: Bot-Deluxe, Bike- Scout)
    Ratchet- Deluxe/voyager?
    Wheeljack- Deluxe
    Cliffjumper- Deluxe

Cons:
    Megatron- Voyager
    'Screamer- Voyager
    Vehicons (Cars)- Deluxe
    Eradicons (Jets)- Deluxe
    SkyQuake- Voyager
    Breakdown- Voyager
    Soundwave- Deluxe
    Knockout- Deluxe
    Arachnid- Deluxe/Voyager?

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn't soundwave the same size as starscream?

http://www.grogentertainment.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Transformers-Prime-003-026.jpg

7. luclin999

Actually from taking a close look at the characters in the series just now the scale appears to me to be..

Optimus: Voyager
    Bulkhead: Voyager
    Ratchet: Deluxe (when he and Bulkhead spar in "Stronger, Faster" it is clear that Ratchet is a fair bit smaller than Bulkhead)
    Bumblebee: Deluxe
    Arcee: I agree that she is Deluxe as a bot and scout as a cycle
    Cliffjumper: Deluxe

Megatron: Voyager
    Breakdown: Voyager
    Starscream: Deluxe (He is shown in "Partners" to be roughly the same size as Arcee)
    Knock-out: Deluxe (Same size as Ratchet in "Stronger, Faster")
    Airachnid: Deluxe (barring the extra arms she is the same size as Arcee)

8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Ratchet and Starscream are a mess to put in a class. Starscream is most of the time shown to be taller than Bumblebee and Arcee but smaller than Megatron. But when he was fighting Arcee hand to hand they did look similar.

In the episode where Ratchet is high on bad energon he is pretty much a voyager. He puts Bulkead in a "rock bottom" position and fights Megatron and there's no way he's a deluxe.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

this is transformers, if you're going to worry about size/scale, you're going to be disappointed everytime, and driven insane.

just look at those people still making the "mp ultra super supreme unicron class, fortress max size leader class lugnut/blackout/what ever" threads.

if you want size scale in transformers, you're going to go insane. just buy the ones that appeal to you, there will never be scale in transformers, never have, never will. :lol 

10. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Fixed :lol 

11. luclin999

Sorry but while I love my G1 figures the fact that none of them were ever really to scale with one another drove me completely batty even back in the '80s.

Based upon the different size classes Hasbro produces now and what I have seen in the series at least with this toy line I have a hope in Hell of being able to assemble a set which will look relatively in proportion to one another.

Thankfully, I don't have the "completist" bug so picking and choosing just the figures from different classes/sizes isn't going to bother me.

12. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    And Starscream isn't as big compared to others in the show. I think the deluxe would be much better in scale with the other toys, given it's still bigger then other deluxes, but smaller then voyagers. In the image below, he's just a little bigger then Knockout, and going by perception, just a head smaller then Breakdown.

[​IMG]