New To Customs...Looking for a critique

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Arkkive 440, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Arkkive 440

Arkkive 440 Member

Hello guys,
    For this last Valentines Day my totally awesome girlfriend got me an AMP suit toy from the movie Avatar. I love SciFi and robots and all that stuff. The toy was rather plain so I decided to spruce it up with some custom paint. In searching for reference material I came across the well known and awesome frenzy rumble (among other awesome customizers: Sabrina NG, Encline, Sillof...ect...)! I had no idea that some many people were painting and customizing toys! I started reading as many tutorials as i could and started with the AMP suit. To make a long story short the amp suit was my first custom and i have done three more since. Basically what i would like you guys to do is tell me what u think of my customs, could i possibly do commissions or ebay them one day, and what i could do to improve. just for frame of reference, my 1st was the AMP suit, 2nd was the HK Hunter Killer, 3rd was jetfire robot replica, and 4th was the T1 terminator. In the works for my next ones are the harvestor terminator from terminator salvation, leader class megatron, 6inch Iron Monger, AT-ST, Scorpion Chopper from avatar, and a couple of mcFarlane Cyber Spawns.
    Thank You!
    Looking forward to hearing your comments!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I think they look really good. As to whether or not you could get away with doing commissions, I don't see why not. My only advice would be to try and get some more customs done that show more of a range of your abilities first. What you've got so far all seem to fall in the "used and weathered" category. Unless you want that to be your specialty, I'd try and do something different next.

Just my $0.02. You're already much better at it than I am. Keep it up!!

3. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Wow those look really good. I'd have to agree with Switch625 about showing more range. It looks like you used the same paint apps/design for each figure. Maybe do some color variations that are out of the norm?

4. Arkkive 440

Arkkive 440 Member

Thanx so much for the awesome advice! I hope to soon try something with a killer new looking paint job and im planning on messin around with an airbrush soon!

5. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dang, those actually look pretty sweet. Like others have said, broaden your range. Don't be strictly weathered, branch out into wacky and eccentric colours, if you want. Find your niche, A.K.A what customers want, and then exploit it.