New to collecting...kind of

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Skywalker1, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Skywalker1

Skywalker1 New Member

Hello, I am almost brand new to Transformers. The reason I say almost is that I used to love watching Beast Wars as a kid, as well as collecting the toys. Unfortunately, at some point in my youth the toys were given away or lost somehow. When Beast Machines came on I stopped watching and never really though about Transformers again. Then the movies came out and while I thought they were pretty cool they weren't enough to gain my full attention. However, I recently bought War for Cybertron for PS3 and...wow. I am currently watching all the G1 episodes now, too, due to the interest that WFC sparked, and am interested in collecting the figures. I collect Star Wars figures so I'm not new to toy collecting but I had some questions about the Transformers figures. Also I'm only interested in collecting Hasbro figures.

1. Hasbro does a good job at keeping the main line of Star Wars figures in scale. How well does it do this with the Transformers figs?

2.After reviewing online sites and checking out the toy isle I noticed that there are many different names attatched to the toy lines. Generations, classic, reveal the shield, etc. How do these compare in quality and why so many different series? Also, to relate this to the first question, how do these different toy lines compare in scale?

3.How expensive/practical would it be to start collecting the Beast Wars series again (loose figures only)? I'm willing to pay around $15 each for the basic figures and a little more for the more deluxe ones.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions! Also, really cool site and I thank you for answering my questions.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    1. Scale practically doesn't exist with Hasbro. See Animated and Beast Machines. Other lines do a fairly good job, though.
    2. The quality between the lines is almost identical, and it is very great quality at that. Of course there are some errors, but that's to be expected. Not to great of a sense of scale in the lines in vehicle mode, but somewhat decent scale in robot mode.
    3. I'd say that this would be a pretty simple goal. A lot of Beast Wars figures are relatively cheap, especially the ones that don't appear in the show.

Also, this is a lot more expensive of a line to collect than Star Wars... I collect both, but Transformers definitely make a bigger hole in my wallet.

3. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ribie here answered your questions nicely. I'm going to chime in and say that some of the newer remolds/redeco of older figures are also something to take a look at if you're going for Beast Wars. Telemocha Primal (repaint of Robot Masters Beast Convoy) and Waspenator repaints are much better than the originals...but they might be more rare or expensive.

4. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

There are also 2 updated beast wars figures that were released in the classics line: Dinobot, and Cheetor.

Both of em should be pretty cheap if bought loose.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Scale is impossible with Transformers, outside of the 1:24 scale alternator line. In the other series, you have jets that transform into the same size robots as the autobot cars, and you even have things as strange as a tank, helicopter, jeep, and space shuttle combining with a truck to make a larger robot.

If you want proper scale, you have to decide which mode you want to have proper scale in, and then limit yourself to a handful of figures from each series.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I believe I am perfectly placed to answer the Beast Wars section of your question.

I watched the show for the first time around February this year and immeditaely fell in love with it. As a massive Transformers toy collector, of course this also meant I had to have the figures. I decided the way I was going to go was to get the best version of every single character that appeared in the show.

In the past 9 or so months it has taken me somewhere in the region of £700 - £1000 to put the line up of 31 figures together. As of this post, I only need a Takara Terrorsaur (IMO he has a superior paint job to the Hasbro version) and then I can say I'm done.

It should be noted that for nearly all the BW toys I have, I got them from a variety of sources at very reasonable prices. Some were from fellow TFW members, others from eBay and others from online stores.

Overall, I'd say the scale is excellent. It's never going to be perfect with any line, but Beast Wars is one of the best in that regard.

Lmk if you're interested in any more info, I'd be more than happy to help out a fellow Beast Wars fan :thumbs2: 

7. Skywalker1

Skywalker1 New Member

Thank you for all the replies, especially the Beast Wars info. I think I'll attempt to collect figures that are somewhat in scale in robot mode. Also I'm glad to hear that I still have a chance at being able to collect the Beast Wars figures.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but educate your self on what is official, and what is a knock-off.
    Knock-offs can be great fillers, but be wear of the scams on ebay where sellers sell knock-offs as official items. If your in doubt, post the ebay add in the ebay section of this board. Most of us can answer yea or neh.
    I don't know anything about Beast Wars, but G1 has a lot of knock-offs and I bet BW is the same.
    We'd hate to see you spend ton's of money on a particular figure that should've only cost yea pennies.

Although I'm sure you've probably run into some knock-offs with Star Wars figures as well.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ Good point, however to the best of my knowledge, the Beast Wars figures are some of the least KO'd of any TF line. Sure they are out there, but they are so markedly different to the genuine articles that it's unlikely you'd ever mistake one for another.

G1 on the other hand... :( 

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Welcome back to the hobby. The different line names can be confusing, like generations or reveal the shield, but its a seasonal change really as the packageing and line wide features are changed over. You have the good fortune of joining in at a time when Hasbro can afford to maintain multiple sub lines simultaneously.

There have been some beast wars homaged updates recommend tracking them down as they are quality, highly enjoyable figures that are all in the deluxe scale. Listed is the title of the line they were featured in followed by the name of the figure, check secondhand sources like the TFW junkion exchange, or ebay, they actually might come up pretty cheap:

Cybertron Optimus Primal
    Cybertron Megatron (beast form T-Rex)
    Animated Blackarchnia
    Animated Waspinator
    Universe Dinobot

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

The HA has pretty good scale. Not sure if they are all 1:24 like alt but its still a good scale.