New TF Movie and too much creative freedom?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, May 8, 2006.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I have been on a couple of TF movie sites and seen the posts of various posters and basically concluded that the most common problem people have with the movie is creative freedom used by the staff of the new movie. My main question is this: what is too far for creative freedom and when does the subject material stop resembling what it was supposed to be?

Let me clarify since that last question might be confusing or hard to understand. Lets take the appearance of the Transformers in the new movie. We've heard rumors of how they aren't going to be blocky and be more angular. We've also heard they are going to be more realistic with hydraulics and wires hanging out. When do those robots stop being Transformers like and look like something else? Where does one draw the line?

I am all for change, and I know the only constant in life is change. But if they depart so much from the original, then why not call it a brand new series? I can see the reasoning behind the big corporations - stick the TF logo on it and it'll make them money, but I don't see it from a fan perspective. To some, TFs have a certain look and feel to them. To others, anything that is robotic and transforms is all that defines a TF.

I disagree with the latter. There have been numerous mythos created around transforming robots. Some have worked, most have not. I think its prudent to not depart too radically from what made the series a success in the first place. If you are going to change it totally, then call the new movie a different name.

Did any of that make sense?

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It made sense until you posted it in the news forum.

:D 

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's called rationalisation. You can stretch a non-TF fan's imagination pretty far, but to make this work and appeal to the general populous there's more realism needed than before. So some of the more out there things need to be toned down.

I'm not going to judge until I've actually seen what the robots are going to look like. Think about it, it's not anywhere near final yet, and we've not seen anything beyond "alleged" concepts. It's too early to doomsay everything.

Also, this isn't news, it really belongs over in TFGD.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Too far for creative freedom would be when it strays from the source material.See EVERY TF series has some commonalities 1)Autobots/Cybertron/Maximals 2)Decepticons/Destrons/Predacons 3)Planet Cybertron 4)The Matrix 5)A Prime/Convoy has always existed as leader

As long as those commonalities are followed.Then that's being true to the Transformers franchise.To not have any of those 5 things I mentioned is like X-Men w/o mutants or Cerebro

Rumors is the appropriate word here.We've actually seen no VISUAL proof of this.Therefore I say wait and see.And even if they do look less blocky,they might actually pull it off.Technology can do some great things in movies

You're being too pesimistic regarding this movie.You're in danger of ruining the movie for yourself before it hits theaters Superion33

Basicly all TF toys look about the same in someways.Only that in these post BW/RID days they tend to look more like robots a.k.a. Gundams.

Just wait and see Supes,if after we see a trailer and you're not impressed.Feel free to express it,but since filming just started,I'd say the fandom won't see a trailer till winter '06

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    It's an intangible concept, the "Transformer Look." I've thought about that myself, and how much Un-Transformer-like the Starscream sketch from last week looks.

I'd say the essential element is sentience. I've never liked TFs that were drones, from the insecticon drones to the Vehicon masses to Terrorcons to Scrapmetal. A Transformer must have free will and be an individual, with their own personality. That's my only hard and fast requirement.

6. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    I know some people freaked when they saw the "Starscream Concept Art". But it's just that: CONCEPT.
    I recently stopped considering it to be a strictly G1 based movie. It'll just be a whole new Universe like every line since G1. That's just my overall perspective for this movie.

We shall soon know.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Indeed, just look at Darth Vader's concepts. They are so incredibly different from the final result, it's not even funny.

And since Don said that they'll be homages to their old selves, there's really not anything to complain about. They can hardly copy the exact G1-transformations and looks (don't be surprised if Screamer's wings split into 2 big ones and 4 smaller ones, for example).

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am delighted to see extensive creative license taken in the treatment of the Transformers movie. I anticipate having a very fun time on opening night.

There will simply be no way for this movie to satisfy those people who just want a straight read of MTMTE parts 1-3. Anyone still carrying around that expectation is bound for disappointment.

9. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I really dont mind people complaining about rumors, these message boards are an excellent mechanism for discouraging the movie creators from taking too many creative liberties that have nothing to do with transformers.

Case in point that horrific looking starscream that doesnt look anything like a transformer most of us are aghast about. I would imagine if that was being considered, its likely now been tossed aside after a widely negative response from fandom. Better safe than sorry, so complain away I say!

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'd have to say that being true to the franchise is the major requirement as I stopped considering this thing a G1 based movie many months ago. The needed things are: 1) Autobots Vs Decepticons 2)Optimus Prime is Autobot leader 3) Megatron is Decepticon leader 4) they come from the planet Cybertron 5) there's a Matrix of Leadership/Creation & 6) they run off of Energon.

As for everything else that you're talking about... most of them are just rumors. Some of them have me worried myself... like I'm not too keen on the "less blocky more angular with wires and hydrolics" thing, because it seems like they're going for something similar to that ugly Citroen robot... but I've decided that I'm going to take a wait and see attitude to this thing.

In reality, I'm not really expecting some big thing here. I don't think this movie is going to bring about some great "transformers revival" across the globe where the franchise becomes as popular as Star Trek or Star Wars... people whom are thinking that way (and yes, some TF fans both here and on other boards I go to seem to think the movie will do this for us... not so much of that here though, gotta love the down to earth guys at TFW) are just freakin' expecting way too much from this thing.

Myself, I'm looking forward to a decent story, great action like any Michael Bay flick and some really awesome toys from Hasbro/Takar-Tomy. The toys are priority for myself. Everything else is extra.

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Its kinda interesting to hear some people's opinions. Most people think these things are what make a Transformers

1) Good side
    2) Bad side
    3) Optimus
    4) Megatron
    5) Matrix
    6) Energon

Oddly enough, other than the first two and the last, I don't think thats what makes a TF at all. It isn't the specifics. In fact, I'd ABSOLUTELY LOVE a new TF world where the leader wasn't Optimus or the bad guy was Megatron/Galvatron. The Matrix wasn't even in G1, and I hardly consider that a core element of TFs. Energon was the reason for the TFs war, the reason why TFs crashed on earth, and the reason for most of the fighting.

I think the core of TFs is really simple - transforming robots. Having a robot isn't TFs. They have to Transform. And you can't have humans or other creatures morph or transform - you have to have robots.

The whole "robots in disguise" thing is what made the series initially take off. Why else would a robot need to transform? A robot can propel himself in either robot form or other form. There is no air resistance in space, so aerodynamics isn't a problem for them to turn into a jet or whatever.

Beyond those core elements, there is also my preference to them looking blocky. If I wanted robots who were angular with spikes all over them, I'd be on www.gundam2005.com or whatever.

So my takes on what makes TFs:

1) Good/bad conflict (would be nice to see a neutral side or other sides also)
    2) Transforming robots
    3) Robots transform for disguise
    4) Robots vie for energy
    5) Transformers maintain same "look" (my preference)

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think the most entertaining thing about the movie series, so far, has been the creative shakeups it's caused in the fan community.

Like this thread. :D 

I think that we are now at a point where our ability to influence the design process of this movie is dwindling, since they've hit initial production - aren't they shooting this coming May/June? I used to bitch about the film - particularly when Michael Bay got announced as being involved in it, which still makes my skin crawl a bit - but I've reached a point where I can shrug and say, "Eh. They know what they're doing."

And what is it they know? They, being the production staff involved (Murphy, DeSanto, Spielberg, et al.) know how to make a Hollywood, big-budget film that will bring in revenue. That's good enough for me at this point. I will await what comes next and yeah, I'll voice my opinions - negative and positive - on what comes with the leaks for the film. As for restricting the creative control of the Hollywood types...forget it. We don't have that ability.

If you are truly convicted to the principles mentioned above, why don't you voice them at the Don Murphy message boards? He is directly involved in the production of this film and will see them a lot more readily on his boards. I'm not saying this to sound snotty or mean, just pointing out that you DO have direct access to someone who IS involved in the creative control process on this film.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was really skeptical about them changing the alt modes of the Transformers from vehicles to beast, but it has proven to work out. This being said, change may be good.

A transformer is what Takara/Hasbo makes it. Just because it has been a vehicles or animals, doesn’t mean that it couldn't be a whatever. We as fans are just not likely to accept it.

14. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

Actually, it was. The movie(orignal, cartoon version) is considered part of "G1", as are the post movie episodes.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think he's referring to 1984-1985, which some consider to be their fondest memories of the G1 continuity.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Concur, when was the first mention of the matrix?
    Also, if Megatron wanted the matrix so bad, why didn’t he take it in the first ep when op was knocked out.

17. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:

Possibly, but that's just a small part of G1. To say the matrix is not in G1 is grossly inaccurate. :lol 

As far as I know, the first mention was the movie.

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    somewhere around issue 9 in the comic...

19. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    I never had the chance to read the old marvel tf comics. approximatly when did issue #9 come out, in relation to the movie?

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

A lot earlier. The matrix was utilized to make the Constructicons. I'm reasonably sure it was an '84 issue.