New TF Mobile Game

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, May 8, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's AWESOME!!! Too bad it's only on Cell

Always wanted a turn-based strategy game with TFs

Damn, now I'm going to have to update my Cell Phone to support that game.

3. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool, this can replace the Movie game which I beat a while ago.

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Looks like a turn-based game to me! (Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Golden Sun, Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem)

5. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

No Iphone version yet, but according to the rep at botcon, they are working on it! The video they played at Botcon looked really good.

6. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Interesting. Can't wait to play it!

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    anyone remember the energon series themed strategy game cartoonnetwork.com had back in 2003-04? The one where you command skorponok, divebomb, battle ravage, or insecticon against autobot drones to capture energon supplies and find megatron.

Yeah I really liked that game. It was good in how changeing modes affected the abilites they could use and the range of the attacks, also if you were in a agile mode like skorponoks jet mode you move further in a turn.

Wish I could still play that.

8. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Any details on what carrier(s) will have it? I didn't see that in the article.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    If you clicked to look at the flicker account picture. (a decorated promotional ad.)
    It says "coming fall 2008 to all major carriers."

10. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Ah. I didn't go to the flickr page, so that explains it. Thank for the info!

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    cool.

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks cool, I hope I can get it on my phone.

13. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Darn!

I have been working on a TF Mod for Age of Wonder II for some time, but I always needed graphics... Hopefully this game will be avalaibale for pc too with some emulator, cause I sure don't have time or want to strain my eyes to play on my phone--

14. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Pass, I'm not really into games anymore, no time for it.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They made it sound like it would work on Nokia cellphones (how appropriate), but I dont know if that's the only type. Also, from the way they described it, it would play like advance wars for the gameboy. I really hope it gets ported to something else though, like xbox live arcade or wiiware, because it really looks to be a fantastic game that deserves to be played on more than a tiny cellphone screen.

16. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I've done development work for mobile phones for a time, so I have some first-hand knowledge applicable to this. Paying for the rights to pack-in a high-quality emulator from an SDK means they could still be selling a PC download for less than the additional charge(s) that just about any mobile provider will tack on for distributing this game. Of course, they're going to not want to sell it for lower than most providers, otherwise no providers will distribute it.

I really would like that better than any of the other possibilities when this game comes out.

17. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Get in - my first news credit! :D 

Looks like it could be a cracking little game - just gutted I didn't get to work on it myself! I'll have to see what the possibilities are of our little outfit doing some development for Glu in the not-too-distant future... ;) 

I wouldn't get your hopes up of this appearing on console, though.

/calculates the odds at slim to bugger-all

EDIT: Sorry, Omnus, but I'd rate the chances of a pack-in emulator somewhere around the same as a console version. Would be nice, but it won't happen; the nearest you might get is a demo version on Glu's site.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The curse of the iPhone. No apps available yet. Apple did release the coding recently though so that will change. Just gotta wait for software update 2.0. No way they won't release this ( or other programs ) for the iPhone. It's too popular.

19. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm, since you are familiar with these buisnesses do you know of any cases where a mobile phone game was later released for PC?

Granted, I'd love if they'd create an actual G1 startegy game for PC, with up-to-date graphics and all. It'd sell well, TF has its second renaissance now.

20. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, it's been a couple of years since I was with the company where I was doing the developing, but at the time, no.

There simply wasn't any demand as games were usually targeted for more platforms than just the cutting-edge phones, so they were generally either unappealingly simplistic for a PC game, or ports of already-made simple PC games.

In point of fact, at that time, porting was only done towards the phones. For instance, there was a port for the mid-to-upper grade Nokia phones of one of the PC NES emulators. The friend of mine who brought me on there showed me 'The Legend of Zelda' running on his phone the first day I was there.

I haven't kept up as much with mobile phones since leaving the company, games least of all. So, if somebody had made any other game that there would have been enough demand to put it out on PC, I haven't seen it.

However, there are free and/or open-source mobile phone emulators out there. You just wouldn't use them as a corporate developer because if you find a bug in the emulator, you want to have the emulator creator(s) working under the same kind of deadline to fix it as you are to get your development work done.

I know of several Bluetooth apps that have been reliably run on such emulators in order to do an end-run around non-sensical service provider limitations.

All that rambling aside, Sledgehammer is correct in his assessment of the situation for consoles and PCs. Special versions would need to be developed for the consoles and getting into those distribution channels is an additional cost on top of that.

As to PCs, I agree with the assessment due to what I've already said. It would need to be noted to Glu that there is enough interest in seeing the game on the PC for them to justify the cost of contracting out to a service to handle payments for the downloads of the game. That's the only chance that I see for greater-than-zero odds of the game being made directly available for the PC.

I'm thinking that I should probably change my sig at this point to read - "I am not the soul of brevity." :redface2: