New TF collector here. Need some guidance.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Acclaimed, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Acclaimed

Acclaimed Well-Known Member

I'm an 80's kid and had my G1's. I guess since that's what I grew up with, that era is how I want my TF figs to look like. I took notice when the 20th ann. Prime was released. Then I saw some Masterpiece bots and I loved how they looked exactly like what I used to see on TV in bot and alternate mode. I don't mind a little variation because I understand they can't keep making the same thing over and over.

What toy line is for me? My guess is Universe, and if that is correct why are there only 5 different figures on the shelves right now? Are there any good robot mode Megatrons that transform or also Autobot G1 cars (ie Prowls, Jazz, Sideswipe, Mirage, Wheeljack,)? Thanks in advance.

2. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to say Classics.
    Very close to G1 with a 21th century engineering twist.

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Right now, the "Universe" branding is retired from mass retail (it is still around for the dollar store repacks). There are a handful more Masterpiece figures (notably Megatron, who won't be released in the US), but if you want more than 1 figure every 2-3 years, Classics/Universe/Generations is what you will likely want.

"Generations" (on the red cards) is the "nostalgia" line at the moment. But keep in mind that Hasbro has been doing nostalgia figures at various times since 2006 (collectively referred to as "classics" by fans).

Some of which are now expensive now that they are gone from retail and are usually among the first things new fans from G1 purchase.

Hasbro Toy Shop still has a few Universe figures left on their site (and about the only place to find some at retail cost), notably Galvatron, Prowl, and Smokescreen.
    Transformers - Universe - Great Toys & Games At HasbroToyShop.com

4. Acclaimed

When were Classics released?

If I read correctly, 2006 - current?

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generations is currently your best choice. Also check TFSource and BBTS for your Takara/Hasbro reissue needs.

6. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generations

I also have the same reasoning as you. Although I tend to buy any figures that's a modern presentation of g1 character from across the line

7. Acclaimed

What is making TF items hold such a high value? Even loose figures I see are above retail. Are you guys openers? I'm coming from Star Wars collecting in which I'm tired of. I've got stuff I couldn't get rid of in a fire. I know we are supposed to collect for fun but since I'm going to have to buy second hand with some of the prices being asked I don't feel like I should take them out of the package.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Classics, Universe, Generations. Totally G1, but updated with today's modern toy advancements?

Masterpiece toys are great if you're willing to put down the cash.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

I would personally suggest trying to get a hold of some alternators. No, they're not cartoon accurate to G1, but they do some good justice to the characters. As mentioned, the Classics line is GREAT, with very G1-ish looks. For the most accuracy, I would advise the Masterpiece figures, though there haven't been many released, some fan favorites are there for sure.

10. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The best thing is to do some research on the suggested toylines and find what best suits you. The "Resource" page is a great start.

Transformers Resources

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

The main differences I've seen with Star Wars and Transformers are:-

Transformers don't immediately lose their value when opened. Star Wars figures tend to be displayed in mint sealed cards for them to be worth anything. Transformers fans seem to be more practical, apart from the odd rare boxed unopened one which will go for a fortune, even your old loose figure can get you a good price (read: capital easily recovered) if you take care of it. Transformers are also normally collected by people who really love the franchise. Star Wars has too many investors playing the market (probably due to lower cost of figures compared to Transformers).

Transformers seems to have gotten a second life with the movies, while the Star Wars craze seems to be over. Transformers can also fall back on a few decades worth of characters built steadily over the years. Star Wars is trying to do the same thing with the Clone Wars, but CW will never be as good, or have as many fans, as Transformers.

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you specifically looking for just G1 inspired bots, or are you open to other lines as well? That's part of the real question. If you want to get into something that has a feel of the G1 line, then yes the Classics/Henkei(Japanese versions of classics)/Universe 2.0/Generations lines are where you want to go. However if you are looking to expand your transformers universe, then look through tfu.info. You can look through the separate lines there, and you can see what might appeal to you. From there the resources page here has many great pictures to look through, and if you want to have extremely in depth look at the figures in full galleries, while there are some nice reviews here, seibertron.com gives you very extensive views of all aspects of the figures you are looking at.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for g1 inspired, go for classics, universe, henkei, and generations, some of the figures are rather expensive, but the rest are easily obtainable, anything that fansproject has made an upgrade for will cost you, as will a thundercracker at the moment

15. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Like most people have said, C.H.U.G. (Classics, Henkei, Universe 2.0, Generations) are probably more to your liking. But be aware that some figures from some of the earlier toylines are homaged by Hasbro and collectors use them as stand-ins for G1 figures (ex. Energon Downshift as Wheeljack). Also next year Generations will release an updated Jazz, Tracks, Grapple, and Windcharger figures.