New TF:Animated Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by alpharon, Feb 12, 2008.

1. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where is everyone getting their new TF:Animated toys from?!? I see 30+ listings on ebay for these toys and I'm just wondering how people are getting a hold of them if they haven't even been released to the public yet? Was there some toy convention that I missed where they were selling these pieces?

I apologize if this question sounds a bit newbish, but I'm just starting to get back to rebuilding my collection. I already feel left behind after seeing all these new toys online. I only plan to get a few of the Animated toys anyway. I'm more of a Classics / Universe 2.0 / Masterpiece fan...:) 

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To put it simpley, they're stolen from the factories. This pretty much always happens when a new toy line is going to come out, it just seems there's a lot more this time around.

3. alpharon

News Credits:
    Wow, stolen goods never even crossed my mind. These ebay listings are selling like hotcakes with a huge premium! I already feel like I'm getting a deal by waiting and buying them at retail price!

4. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Well I would assume a few of them dealer samples and such.
    But yeah most of them (especially the packaged ones) are either stolen or being re-sold.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    The ones from Heerotoysmaker and his alternate identities (etoys-something and weplaytf2) are believed to be legitimately obtained. The loose ones are probably factory seconds pieced together and resold.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    "legitimately obtained"?

No toy is "legitimately obtained" for sale before its release date. They're all pilfered samples.

7. alpharon

News Credits:
    Well, what's everyone's opinions on purchasing these pilfered items? They seem to be the real things, but I don't think I would feel right purchasing them knowing that they've been obtained illegally. And as I mentioned before, I don't think I could pay the premium prices for these toys knowing that they'll be cheaper at retail when they do actually come out. This hobby is expensive enough!!!

8. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, at least in the case of Heero/etoys/weplaytf, it's a kind of grey area. His figures ARE, as some have suggested, pieced together whole figures from the reject pile. Basically he takes parts from a lot of figures that were going to be trashed anyway and puts together complete figures to sell. And they're just as good when he's finished as the complete ones. It's too costly for the factories to do it themselves. So yeah, while they're technically stolen, they're not swiped right off of the assembly line.

And as I've mentioned, I kind of like the fact that all of my Animated figures have been saved from a firey doom. It's like going to the animal shelter. :) 

9. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

I purchased a boxed Animated BB from a US seller and while I recognize that it may have been illegally aqquired (I'm not going to say absolutely), at the same time no one is cracking down on these sellers. The way companies have been aggressively going after folks who sell pirated stuff these days, it seems to me Hasbro is not particularly bothered by the situation. They may even be looking at this as free promotion rather than legal offense. Does that make it right or wrong? I don't know and I guess now I'm not in a position to say.

Every company treats the release of products differently. Movie studios are very tough about DVDs. Stores who release early can lose their license for doing so. Hasbro may have a more laxed standard. And this isn't like there are hundreds of pre-release figures on the market either. I don't know. Its a very murky situation all around.

10. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

My guess would be that the pieced together items are not very numerous, require quite a bit of manual work to produce a sellable result, and aren't going to affect store sales all that much. Hasbro probably knows about it but doesn't consider it high on their list of priorities. If the same seller had reverse-engineered the mold, was stamping out tens of thousands of copies and selling them in boxed form through Wal*Mart, they'd have twenty-seven Hasbro lawyers jammed up their orifices before they could blink.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I'm half tempted to grab an animated Starscream, but I figure waiting a few months will save me 20-30 bucks - so patience wins. It IS a virtue, after all.

12. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

I had to stop myself from bidding on a packaged animated screamer one a week or so ago. I’d much rather wait till they are released in stores...but I’d like one now. patience patience patience.

13. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Be. Strong!

:)