Heavy/Scratch: New Shapeways Store - BenjDesign

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Benjdude, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Benjdude

Benjdude Member

Hey everyone, I am happy to announce the opening of my new store on Shapeways Shapeways | BenjDesign by Benjdude. I will be offering mostly Transformer related designs as well as other commissions which will appear from time to time.

The first set I have available is the Drift Collection, a remake of the Generations Drift's swords. The collection benefits greatly from the firmer plastics printed by Shapeways as well as adding a bit of personality with Cybertronian characters. The back story of Drift has him trying to distance himself from his past when he was an elite Decepticon warrior. His two smaller swords are named "Forgive" and "Forget", etched on either side in Decepticon graffiti. His longsword has the word "Vengeance" on one side in graffiti and the word "Penance" on the other in Autobot characters.

The set was originally intended to be printed in stainless steel so they are separate (not treed) for that purpose. (Still working the kinks out on that, sorry) For the same reason the two smaller swords are unibody pieces. All of the swords have great fit in standard 5mm grips as well as the scabbards on Drift himself. They are offered in all the plastics.

I also have available to you a great little pendant based on the effigy for The Fallen in War Within. The piece is available in metals and plastics and has a low profile 1/8" hole for those who want to put it on a chain. The hole is unobtrusive enough for those who wish to simply display the symbol.

There are many more designs at different stages of development which will be pushed along soon (sooner if there is a demand for more of my work). I hope you enjoy them.

As always, I am open to suggestions and requests as well as questions or constructive criticism. Thanks for reading!

P.S. I do not aspire to be a painter or a photographer, sorry for the poor quality of both. :) 

Attached Files:

2. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

That's pretty cool. Could you theoretically make just the top halves of the shorter swords, so buyers could plug them onto the existing Drift handles? That'd be awesome if/when you get the stainless steel worked out...

3. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yum

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These look good. I'll be ordering a set in my next Shapeways order, when ever that is. Good job.

Some cool cheap weapons would be something I would be interested in, if you are looking for ideas. Perhaps hammers and other melee weapons, though cool guns would work too...

5. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    oh yes, great idea!

Hammers rock (looks to Magnus Hammer and Solus' Forge).

Guns are great too, a DOTM Megatron shotgun based weapon would be awesome too

What say knifes and stuff?

6. Benjdude

Benjdude Member

Hammers and stuff is actually on the list. I am actually working on a whole line of medieval weapons sized to the deluxe class figure (actually they will be slightly exaggerated for deluxe class making them work well with larger figures as well). These should finish first inspection sometime next week (my inspection) but I will be unable to justify making test prints unless I make at least a few sales on this collection. One solution would be to upload and allow sales that would be at your own risk, and then based on feedback from the brave few I can approve the design or make tweaks as needed. Any problems would not be how they fit in pegs or anything like that but rather the fact that Shapeways has different thickness requirements for each of their materials and trying to figure out which models are printable in what materials can be a real pain (hence the small drift swords that are "unprintable" in Shapeways in stainless steel due to "thin walls" which are the two or three tiny spaces where the lettering on either side happen to be exactly across from each other. I know it could be printed, and if I can meet the right person in their support group *maybe* they can just approve the design, cause stainless steel swords would be pretty freakin' sweet).

Enough rambling. Essentially I have many things vying for my attention and in order for me to concentrate on putting out more sweet customs for you guys I would love to have some positive feedback, and hopefully a sale or two. ;) 

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Added a set of swords to my shopping cart. Not sure when I'll be checking out. Probably a couple weeks, but they're in there. :) 

8. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Im a huge fan of drift (even if I hate anime), and these swords are great, especially the black one. I will order the set soon

9. Red vs Blue fan

Red vs Blue fan Banned

News Credits:
    Hey, if you're making replacement weapons, any chance you could make some swords and guns for Prime RID Optimus?

10. Benjdude

Benjdude Member

The short answer is yes I probably could. I would need some detailed pictures of what they look like exactly. If you know anyone with the weapons who might be willing to take some pics next to a ruler that would work even better. Once you send or post everything I need I can take a look and decide if its something I have the time to tackle.

If I took the project on it would be available on my Shapeways shop and while I would take steps to make the pieces as cheap as possible I really have no way to predict how expensive they might be.

If you are ok with the above stuff then rustle up some good pics and we can go from there.

11. Chevytron951

Chevytron951 Well-Known Member

i dont own the images but here are some symbols i was talking about and more tools and weapons for QUE

Attached Files:

12. Red vs Blue fan

Red vs Blue fan Banned

News Credits:
    Here's a quick list of some images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (this last one's a tad blurry)
    [​IMG]
    As for the swords, well, it looks like fakebusker83 beat me to the punch.
    TFP (FE) Optimus Prime upgrade set (rotating blade by fakebusker83 on Shapeways

13. BuzzingNeon

BuzzingNeon Logic Expert/Tailgunner

You might want to make some kanji-free ones, too.

14. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

If you're up for some challenge, I know I'd really want some actionmaster partners for several classics/mp's they don't have to all transform into guns, I used AM Breakdown's hammer partner as my custom Skyfalls weapon/partner, both are Rhino's

15. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Stuff looks great