New Shane McCarthy interview re: AHM

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jan 16, 2009.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
  2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    :sly2: 

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I enjoyed his explanation of why characters resemble their 80's looks and not the looks E.J. Su gave them.

"Well, they can change forms by scanning things, right? So uh that's what they did. I mean, who is to say they didn't do it? Who is to say they can't do it thirty times a day?"

In a non-political translation:

"Because I didn't like them, I wanted the classic look for my story, and I didn't really take an interest in the storyline before I came on board."

It's never a good thing, in my opinion, when someone's explanation for why things are different is "We'll explore that later on" ... and he's not even sure if he's on board past All Hail Megatron.

4. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    To be fair, to each his own re: designs.

I like the F-22 designs, but the MP designs are pretty awesome.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I didn't like the MP SS design after Kawamori shoved his oar in and tried to make the design more Macross-looking. But then again, EJ Su's F-22 designs weren't my favourite seeker representations.

Just the logic of reverting to F-15s annoyed me. Didn't make sense for the seekers to go from the best modern stealth fighters in the world to a decades-old fighter that (last I checked), has had its entire fleet grounded recently.

Didn't Shane tell me in this very forum in July last year that this point would be addressed in the story? Six issues gone, six issues left, mate.

6. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    i think it's been said that Hasbro wanted the Universe designs used.

7. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    It wasn't Guido's call? I just figured he didn't care for the Gundam-formers and wanted to get back to designs based on actual Transformers... (Back in the DW days Guido usually seemed to me to go his own way on design aesthetics)

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It looks just fine if ya do the leg-mod though hehehe. then you get a classic look while still gaining all those jet-mode enhancements.

9. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    That makes sense too ~ I always wondered why Hasbro didn't want them to use the Classics designs where appropriate back when IDW started...

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hasbro and IDW most likely wanted to distance themselves from the Dreamwave fiasco, hence E.J. Su's more mechanical-based designs.

11. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, in that interview he seems like a nice guy. In others, he seems like a complete self-obsessed jerk. Will the real Shane McCarthy please stnd up?

... either way, just based on the way he answers things he seems to be in way over his head.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Reads like damage control to me. Particularly the part about the pacing of the first three issues.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Damage control and flatout lying.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gave up on this series after three issue. I hated... HATED how the G1 cartoon somehow got fused with the IDW comics. Bring Furman back and let him continue what he started. People complain because Furman is slow... well... some of the best stories require a long build up. If you don't give the writer the chance to build it up, then it completely falls flat. People nowadays have no patience.... Back in my day, Chris Claremont would build up a story for YEARS before any payoff...

15. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This

16. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Build up? We already sat through six tedious issues of Infiltration while they tell us what we already know and for what, a Megatron vs. Starscream battle?

But then once the build up had finished, we got some great series - Stormbringer, the Spotlights, Escalation, Devastation... yes, we were full steam ahead for exciting comics.

Until All Hail Megatron and we're back at square one again. More happened in Infiltration than it has in AHM #1 -#6.

17. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    Yeah. I'm not reading anything from this guy and that goes for his interviews,too. All he's done to the IDW Transformers, IMO, is turn it into an official version of Con-Quest. Yeah, the Movie sucks. It should have been this vision of Mr. McCarthy's with Decepticons killing humans in bloody scenes that scream MATURE GROWN-UP and SERIOUS BUISNESS while the Autobots just sit around in their own filth, not being hardcode killaz.

Oh yeah, and he gave us a new Gary Stu. I totally want to see more of this Transformers RPG ORIGINAL CHARACTER Drift being just soooo good and badass than stoopid human sidekicks. :rolleyes2 

Didn't he also allude to the the SKYWARP X THUNDERCRACKER fangirl pairing in the latest issue?

Don't mind me, I'll just be buying and reading Maximum Dinobots instead of AHM.

18. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Although I agree that the jump forward is a bit of a let down after being invested for something like 2-3 years in the Furman story. On the other hand I really like the characters and how they are being developed during Shane's run. Mainly speaking of the autobots, which I've always liked more anyway, the major plus for me is that they seem more like the personas from the CARTOON. I really think the pace and the fact that the 2 factions aren't fighting with each is allowing for us to see more individuality and charater development.

I do think Shane seems a bit inexperienced but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean I like the DDP Joe stories more when Larry Hama isn't writting them. Hama's story telling seems so dated to me. The more I type the more it seems like a cool idea to have 2 separate G1 universes in the IDW line-up. Like having a new rebooted Furman run and a cartoony Shane run kind of how DDP 'Reloded' G.I. Joe

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, the whole thing reads like damage control and that he's in way over his head with this. Frankly, I stopped reading the individual issues way back with #4... I'll wait to check out the trade (trade's being released in two parts according to my local book store) and see if it reads any better when I'm not waiting and waiting for the next little snippet. I don't have high expectations for the rest of the series though.

Also, I totally agree with Thundershot... back when I used to read X-Men, Clairemont would build to something for a year or more before finally getting a pay off. And once Furman used Infiltration (which, IMO, was a bit painful of a build up... I mean... Clairemont at least had other things going on besides the build up in his stories... ahem... anyways...) we did get some spectacular stories in Escalation, Devastation, etc. and not to mention the really good spotlights we've enjoyed that tied into the main plot... Spotlight Blurr... what was the tie in with that?

20. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Spotlight Blurr was a tie-in to AHM. Blurr appears in AHM without any introduction or anything at all - Spotlight Blurr is his introduction.