New security rules for driver's licenses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optimusprime42, Jan 10, 2008.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
  2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I need a bullet point list to understand exactly WTF the article is saying.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm okay with this. I know there are some potential downsides, but I think in the balance, the benefits outweigh them.

I'm used to having the government lose my personal info, though. The VA's leaked it a coupla times already--they just keeping paying for me to go on a credit-watch list, which wreaks havoc with my student loans. Other folks might not be inclined to be as tolerant.

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only difference here in California is that they take your picture at the beginning and not the end huh...

Funny, because you actually do have to take the picture before you even take the written test.

There's no real change except forcing other states to have decent ID's. I remember a few years back having to accept ID's from other states, my highschool ID and themepark season passes were better than some of them.

There's no need to bellyache over fullcolor UV pictures over the cards(whoopdeedoo), illegal immigrants shouldn't be getting drivers licenses anyway, and does it REALLY matter if they take your picture at the beginning or end? If you're applying for a license with the intent to get one, they're going to have your picture anyway, and I dunno if other states do it, but California takes thumbprints as well(so you can be framed like Jason Bourne!).

The only actual problem with this, is that a lot of states that still have crappy ID's without making any changes over the years are stuck making everyone have to get a new one within a short span of time(and no one likes waiting in lines at the DMV).

Blame your state for not having a decent ID, not the government for having to force them to fix it.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This reminds me--my father has the coolest driver's license ever. It's from Florida, and it has no picture, no signature, and no expiration date. It's like a MIB license.

I'm thinking that won't cut it in the future.

6. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Must be an old one(another issue, of them not expiring). That'd be why the government needed to step in. Sure, drivers licenses are a state matter, but when you work retail or fast food like the jobs I had years ago, and someone from out of state wants to use a creditcard or check... it's ******ed.

About 7-8 years ago a buddy of mine came down for a visit from washington state, got carded when he tried to use his credit card, I saw his ID and started laughin. I showed him my old highschool ID later and he was amazed at how crappy his drivers license was. I seriously could have printed a fake ID that was just like his on a piece of glossy paper out of an inkjet printer and laminated it.

And as far as giving up information to get a new drivers license, the state already has your name, height, weight, DOB, eye color, hair color, a picture, SSN, signature, and probably a fingerprint somewhere already anyway. You woudn't be giving up anymore information than you already have, to the people who already have it. Nevermind that the state already has your information for tax purposes anyway, and your birth certificate too.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh god...this means...ANOTHER trip to the DMV!!!
    *bullet+skull*

Speaking of funky licenses, my dad's is valid without photo too, wonder what it takes to get one of those.
    DN

8. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Being old and issued a license that didn't expire.

9. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Between the fact that this was passed into law by congress will be enforced by the executive branch, needs compliance with state governments and is opposed by the ACLU(what won't they oppose) isn't this a bit to political for this forum?

That said I don't have a problem with this.

10. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Considering i don't even have a license yet this doesn't really bother me any heh.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I got my last license in 2004 back before they made photo license's mandatory here in Jersey. So I'm still without a photo license, but it expires next month, which means time for a new digital license :( 

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know in my father's case it was a military thing--he got it when he was in his early 40s, had to do with being out-of-state thanks to the government.

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

NJs liscenses are very nice now. they used to be crappy laminated pictues basically. My old one was coming apart and they always used to give me trouble at bars and stuff.

The new ones are nice, digital like devil said and you have to prove your life away to get it. Even my mom, who is 52 had to come up with something with her maiden name on it and her marriage certificate. You have to come up with 6 points of ID and SSN, Birth Cert and old liscenes only count as one point if i remembert and you can only use one.

14. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

You mean some states issue licenses with NO picture of the person? That has got the be the STUPIDEST thing any state could do. Just how in the hell is it suppose to identify someone?

This past of the article really irks me, "Over the next year, the government expects all states to begin checking both the Social Security numbers and immigration status of license applicants." This crap should have been mandatory a long time ago. No wonder it's easy for terrorist and illegal aliens to get a license. Bunch of slackers.

15. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

Theres a reason the slogan "good enough for government work" exists

16. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

I'm not worried, but I don't "chicken little" over every small thing. I doubt I will even notice anything changing in my daily life due to it.

FWIW when I renewed mine a few months back, I don't think they did jack crap to verify my ID, they just took the old license, ran me through the eye exam(which is cheated as Stevie Wonder could pass it) then collected my renewal fee. Didn't even ask for my SS card(which it states on several signs in the office that you must present). As it is, the system is lax.

17. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

The license designs seem more friendly to letting bar bouncers tell that they're a real license than in making sure the person is who they claim to be.

My state license is painful to look at for more than 30 seconds now. It's an acid trip in physical form.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The time frame on this looks like it shouldn't cause any extra issues as well. My licence expires in 2011, and I recently got it. You'll just have to pony up more info the first time, and then be happy in knowing that your licence is secure.

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Don't forget, Congress was talking just last month or so about letting illegal aliens get licenses. So it wouldn't make a bloody bit of difference in keeping 'terrorists' from getting licenses if they come in illegally.

--Moony

20. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    No, but at least you won't be able to fake an ID on greeting card paper anymore.