new round of G1 KO's? (Golden figures & repro'ed Boxes)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by e3nine, Aug 28, 2006.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I got a message a while back from a very reliable source

Then this appaers ...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.cn/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150024244053&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:CN:1

with a perfect Dinobot Swoop box in the shot.
    [​IMG]

and onto the bling
    http://cgi.ebay.com.cn/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150027456208&ih=005&category=4696
    [​IMG]

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice boxes, but I'll wait until they flood ebay with them and they get cheaper.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    KOs, BAH!

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hmmm...id get a swoop box, maybe those shiney cassettes.

5. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

so Rumble and Lazerbeak went for a dip in the Golden Lagoon?

Any word on how sturdy these KO's are?
    I could use some minions for whenever SoundWaveBlaster is released.

6. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I hope those cassettes arent limited, because I aint payin $150 for some KOs.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I've got a set of the KO tapes, you can feel the diffrence between the originals, but thier not crap by any means, if you can get them for about $15 they'd be worth it. I was at a convention a few months ago and they had G1 looking boxes for Energon figures, anyone know where those came from?

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Boxes = yawn.

Those cassettes tho'... Man, I'd grab em' all if they weren't $40 a pop.

Have any of those KO dudes made the cassettes with the Microman deco for the tape label? I always dug that more than the TF tape label.

9. ikado

ikado Cuttlebot

Ebay:
    Weird that I actually have vintage Soundwave and Swoop boxes. Now my beat up ones aren't as cool :( 

10. voltron2008

voltron2008 TFW2005 4 LIFE

Have you guys seen those "crystal" sets on ebay yet. man what a joke. I swear i seen a couple of those "gold" ones for like 15 bucks a couple days ago......I shoulda bought one. ARE THEY GOING TO GIVE US A REISSUE OF SOUNDWAVE ANY NEWS OF THIS NEW RELEASE?

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if they do make a ko swoop it would be no bad thing.

poor old europe never saw the dude

12. edbomber

edbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  13. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    These KOs ain't healthy for the LEGIT TFs. These JUNKY KO toy makers are making the BIG boys (Hasbro & Takatom) turn their backs on us! I wouldn't even entertain the thought of buying KOs in the first place. :mad  + :puke: 

14. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

It'd be interesting to know whether the cassettes and others are entirely reverse-engineered, or something got their hands on a set of the moulds. Might explain the slightly random choices (Beachcomber, etc.)

15. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    The cassettes are done very well. They even have Takara copyrites on the figures. There are a few differences on them that show they are different from the originals.

1. The card stock for the card back is thinner than the original card stock. The markings and everything are exactly the same as the original right down the the Hasbro copyrite on one side of the card back.

2. The plastic quality is different. Because of the difference in the plastics used 20 years ago, there is a difference to the feel of them. Of course, there is no metal on them either. They are 100% plastic so they have a little less weight to them. As the Rumble/Frenzy mold just have the feet metal, there is not a whole lot of difference there.

3. and this is the biggest one IMO, these are very crisp. By the time these were made for Transformers the mold had been in use for several years for other toy lines. These are obviously new molds and you can see the difference in the weapons and the sharpness of the corners on the figures.

They are very well done figures with out a doubt. I would recomend them to anyone who does not have a set of cassettes already. They are perfect for opening and posing with Soundwave.

If they are going to do the Soundwave as well, I am sure it will be just as good quality as the cassettes are. It is amazing what they are doing with KOs these days.

[​IMG]

Spencer.

16. edbomber

edbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually they have the KOs with metal parts as well. I was offered both plastic or die-cast versions and of course I took the die-cast. The paint apps and the stickers aren't done as well on the KOs. You'll notice that the rub signs are not as glossy and they're not flush but have outlines of the symbol while the original rub signs are perfectly flush.

I compared Takara's reissue laserbeak with one of the knock offs and I have to say that I prefer the KO over the reissue. The reissue version seems a bit warped and it's hard to get it into a tight cassette shape. The KO also fits so much easier in Soundwave as well IMO.

17. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Saturation of bootlegs like these, while cool for those who want the product, does not bode well for the vintage market long term. It's neat, but totally ethically void.

I wonder how long it will take the bootleggers to wise up and reverse engineer guys like Mirage, Sunstreaker, and dino-bots. I wonder if then the copyright holders would try and put a stop to it.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If a high-quality KO of Wheeljack were made, I'd have trouble saying no to it.

19. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Another aspect that sucks about the bootleggers is that they are selling KO's for premium prices that are based on vintage toy prices.

At least they seem to be high quality though.

I wonder if it is seemingly this easy to reverse engineer a mold, why Hasbro and Takara would shy away from finishing the '84-'84 cars??? Then again, I don't even know if reverse engineering is how these guys made the molds in the first place.

A lucky draw style soundwave would be cool to go with the tapes though.

20. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    with the way that things are done in China now, there is very little to reverse engeniering. Most is done by just making a drawing first. If you have the original, just take measurements of all the parts, enter all the demensions into a computer and then the mold is made that way. It is very different from what was done so long ago.

I am sure all these new molds are done just using drawings from the original toys. That is one of the reasons they have that new crisp look to them.

Spencer.