new rig im building

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Liselotte, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    just ordered some of the basic components today. others will have to order tomorrow cuz i just got my paycheck (mom took 50% but just enough for 2nd order). this will be my first build.

1st order:
    CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
    Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
    PSU: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
    HDD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Drive: Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Blu-Ray Drives
    RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory

2nd Order:
    Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
    GPU: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Keyboard:Newegg.com - Rosewill RK-7300 Black 105 Normal Keys 7 Function Keys USB Super Slim Unique Curved Design Multimedia Full-size Keyboard - Keyboards
    Mouse: Newegg.com - Rosewill RM-1600L Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Laser 1600 dpi Mouse - Mouse

this will be use for gaming, media, and heavy computing. will upgrade ram on my next paycheck.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Are you going for AMD due to loyalty? Seems like you could get a better deal with a lower end I7 setup(Microcenter has the 920 for $200) there's also the i7 8xx series and the i5 stuff.

I also noticed you have integrated gfx in that mobo is that for hybrid crossfire/power savings?

3. Liselotte

News Credits:
    AMD is cheaper than Intel from what i heard and its good for gaming.

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I wouldn't rely solely on what you heard, compare/contrast and read many reviews.

5. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

This is a similar setup I am thinking of going to in the near future.

I had Intel's before and had nothing but troubles. I switched to AMD back in the day of the AMD K-II processors. I currently have a AMD 3200 at 2.0 Ghz, BFG 7900 (Nvidia), Asus Mainboard. My computer has been able to run games that it shouldn't Batman: Arkham Asylum, for example, plus others.

I personally like the entire AMD setup myself, not having the mixture of intel, nvidia, and others. Making it all AMD makes everything compatible with each other. Besides wait until AMD/ATI release their new graphics card, the model name eludes me at the moment, that can run 6 display port compatible monitors at the same time without Crossfire. (Must dig up that issue of MaxPC)

6. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

By the way, Win XP or Win 7? I'm about to get Win 7 to put in my new rig later, whenever I get to buying the parts. Then get a copy of Windows Home Server for this rig and make it a media/data server.

7. Liselotte

News Credits:
    go with win 7.

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Anandtech gave the HD5770s a poor review because they're bad value for money considering the performance. On games such as the demanding Crysis, the 5770 is about 10-15% slower than the HD4870, but costs more.

AnandTech: AMD?s Radeon HD 5770 & 5750: DirectX 11 for the Mainstream Crowd

Of course, the HD5770 is generally quieter, runs cooler and consumes less power.

What do you mean by "heavy computing"?

Yeah I don't think the compatibility thing is relevant, especially since the socket 775 generation of Intel motherboard chipsets were ATI crossfire-based. Get what you want, and as it so happens, AMD/ATI's current 58XX series of video are the fastest single cards you can buy, and pretty decent value-for-money, too.

AMD's current CPUs are good for purely gaming applications on a stricter budget, but Intel's Core i7s still reign supreme overall, particularly if you use your computer for applications other than games.

I'm running a Core Quad 9450, which is a pretty good medium in between those CPUs, though it has no upgrading future.

9. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

True compatibility is not a real big issue these days, but it is a lot easier to get driver updates from one place, rather than jumping around.

Also the card I mentioned is in the Nov. 2009 issue of Maximum PC on page 32. They do not give a card model name/number, it is still in development.

Here are the little bit of specs given.

DX11 capable
    6 displayport connectors (example connected to 6 Dell 30-inch displays)
    total resolution of 7680 x 4800 (I'd have to sit 8 foot away to see everything)

But I do think win 7 is a better deal. I looked originally at getting the upgrade but found out the upgrade only works for Vista that XP users should do a clean install. That's ok with me, to many bad experiences upgrading form OS A to OS B. I'll just get the OEM version from Microcenter when I get my CPU.

Also, as for heavy computing, my system plus my wifes laptop (also with AMD) are both running Autocad 2010. Though neither one of us are running 3D modeling on either one, yet, they both run it with no problems.

10. Scourge

Scourge I shall rise again

Also If you want to overclock at all go with a Water Coolant setup
    albe to overclock my 9850 to 3.5 GHZ and it still be stable and cool

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I tend to consider water cooling kind of over-the-top.

12. Liselotte

News Credits:
    So i got everything last week and assmbled it. wow, the tower is freaking huge. i thought it was a lil bit bigger than my HP Pavilion, but it soo freaking big. everything looks great. run so fast with win 7 ult 64-bit. playing games in high settings was really amazing.

i tried to OC it but its complicated and I always got unstable OC'ing. Will wait for a lil but and will tried to push this baby to 4GHz range (currently @ 3.4GHz)

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

13. Scourge

Scourge I shall rise again