Customs: New resource for casting?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ramrider, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I just found an e-mail from CoolMiniOrNot in my inbox, and it contained an ad for something I thought some of you guys might be interested in.

It's called Instant Mold, and it's a flexible putty that can be softened in hot water. When you press an item into it (a small component or something with a texture) and let it set, it retains the shape of the item, so you can use it as a mould, and it's non-stick, so no mould release required. When you're done with the mould, you can just stick it back in the hot water and re-shape it into something else.

While obviously I've not tried it myself (having only just heard of it), it does seem very similar in principle to something I do have, which is a thermoplastic called Polymorph. The difference is that Polymorph comes in pellet form, and sets much harder, like solid nylon.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Very interesting. I'd like to know more about this--it might be something I'd want to try for my heads and small parts.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sculpey and smooth on have something similar. Problem is making two piece molds and the very nature of it doesn't allow for high detail molds.