New Red Dwarf *EXPECT SPOILERS*...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Vector Sigma, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Sorry I must have missed them while I was blinded by the shit storm of kryten's period day banner then becoming a shit TV show host, sex addic rimmer, cat's dibbly family and damn if I list all the garbage in that season I'll be here all night. This was just a retreding of the better than life book and back to reality, not perfect or orginal but at least doug has gone back to his and robs best work and ripped that off, season 8 doesn't even have that going for it.

If they do bring RD back for another actual season I hope to hell that Doug brings in other writters and takes a back seat, as sad as it is to say his best work is clearly behind him and he seems to just be burnt out on ideas.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, finally sat down and watched all three episodes. I have to admit that I really did enjoy it. Low expectations helped, certainly, but I still had fun seeing the old gang back again. No, it wasn't as funny as the show has been, but I still liked it. Definitely better than the vast majority of season eight (I'll take few laughs and enjoyable story over lame stories and bad jokes any day).

The continuity stuff didn't bother me - they did the same thing at the start of season 3, after all. Besides, after the huge mis-step that was season 8's change of direction, I'm more than fine with a "scorched Earth" approach.
    Some of the fourth wall poking got a bit too obvious, but I can live with it. Same for the Blade Runner parody stuff.

I missed Holly, but that sadness was evened out by having some of the best Cat stuff in ages. They actually played the character like they used to - incredibly vain and self-absorbed - not the barely functional idiot he was in the last few seasons. Really, the show used all four characters well (Kryten, as always, used best in moderation) - the only real fault I can find is that the jokes weren't very good. I'd be up for more after this - especially if Naylor isn't doing all the scripts.

3. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

did anyone else notice the MASSIVE bollocks up on the episodes?
    The Female Squid makes you have wnat you ALWAYS wanted right?....so why does Rimmer/Cat/Kryten and Lister all want to be back on Earth...in the year 2009?...........None of them came from that period! They all come from a future which has space ships and all sorts kinda abit like Star Trek:Enterprise only less exciting and not much in space at all

So why would the 4 of them WANT to go back into the past which they DIDNT live in? why would they WANT to see there a TV show? Why would Lister wana see in real life hes a loser who works on Coronation Street and has drug/drink problems and seems to Phone Straight/Gay/Bisexual Phone lines all the time? he even makes a joke most you Americans wont get. He says 'i need to get back to the Priory' which is basically rehab were he went for awhile because of the above problems. The only reason he is still on Coronation Street is because the producer LOVES him from his Red Dwarf days!

Its stupid! its like all of us suddenly wanting to go back in time to 1612! WHY THE HELL WOULD WE ALL DO THAT!? if that Squid gave them everything they wanted then why didnt they go back to Earth from THERE TIME and why didnt Rimmer come back to life considering he has wanted that all the time when he was a Hologram in the past? CAT never got laid yet he wants it alot because he thinks women will fancy him as much as he does....yet it doesnt happen and Kryten has always wanted to be more Human but yet it doesnt happen. its all just so stupid and ******ed.

Seriously this crap was ONLY put together to sell it on DVD and make these guys some more retirement cash! i can prove this because its odd how all of a sudden you get Red Dwarf adverts on DAVE now basically saying 'BUY THE WHOLE RD COLLECTION -- OH OH OH RD Back To Earth IS OUT SOON!' its sickening on a massive scale. i feel betrayed by somethingi used to hold very dear in my heart

4. Switchblade

News Credits:
    No, it just makes you happy. Whatever hallucination you get isn't necessarily wish-fulfillment, it's just something that's designed to make you feel happy while the squid either runs away or eats you.

5. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Sadly my brother was not alive to see this. He loved Red Dwarf. He got me into red dwarf. I think he would have been amused at this but I would argue that the blade runner parody was not much of a parody as it was just blantant ripping off. This is the act of a production designer completely out of ideas. They didnt really make fun of the blade runner ripp offs but jsut went with it as if that was their ideas.

I wouldnt have minded if the blade runner stuff was actually poked and made fun of, but it wasnt.

6. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

7. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    This could be good if they get some fresh blood into the writing staff. I agree with the people that said that "Back To Earth" proved that the cast still has it, they just didn't have the best material to work with.

Also, I hope there'll be room in the budget to bring back Holly this time.

8. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    Please let this be being made by the BBC, the Dave plugs in Back to Earth were nauseating and the episodes weren't funny.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

New writers or GTFO, Doug Naylor is creatively bankrupt at this point reguardless of who is paying the bills.

10. Switchblade

News Credits:
    So long as Naylor isn't writing all the scripts I can get behind this. I rather enjoyed Back to Earth in a "I know it's not as good as it used to be, but it's nice to see these guys again" kind of way, and I'll definitely watch a full season of new episodes. I'll be much happier to do so if we can get some fresh writers in on this. Naylor is definitely running on fumes at this point, but the concept and characters still have plenty of life in them.

I hope they can coax back Norman Lovett, too (or at least Hattie Hayridge). I think it will be easier to fit Holly in if they're not balancing a huge cast of new and almost unviersally uninteresting supporting characters like they did in season 8.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There's gotta be jokes. 'Back To Earth' had practically none. References and in-jokes are okay, but it needs more than that to be entertaining. They need to go back and rediscover what made this show funny to begin with.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Yeah if this is anything like Back to Earth then its going to be very hard for me to watch.