New Red Dwarf *EXPECT SPOILERS*...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Vector Sigma, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I'm less than impressed. Desperatly needed a laugh track. Was great to see the cast back again, and they generally had their old characters down pat, Rimmer was a little dodgy though, jsut didn;t quite feel like him.

Anyone else majorly confused by it opening with '9 years later'? WTF? Have I missed some previous back story?

Any thoughts? I hope the next two eps pull it up quite a bit...

2. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

I was hoping it would redeem itself from how shit the last two series were.

I was wrong, I want my half hour back.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the whole 9 years later was put in to give them some sort of reason for why they look older.

I agree about a laugh track it just seemed flat with out it.

one thing that did stick out to me was the end. Its as if they wanted this and future episodes to all be edited together as a movie so that cut to the credits as the worm hole opens really didn't work for me.

Also no computer? I guess this new chick is the stand till then

4. Vector Sigma

I'm still trying to work out what she is, as even Rimmer pointed out, the ship shouldn;t be able to support them both, so something weirds going on. The fact that they didn;t even try to explain the end of season 8 give me hope that either a) they're ignoring it ever happened, or b) going to explain it later. I won't hold my breath...

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Slow start and nothing that made me really LOL, but there were 3 or 4 lines that made me snigger once the new hologram turned up.

The whole thing looked really artificial, even some of the stuff that was actual sets rather then CGI looked like it was blue screened until they interacted with it. The lack of laugth track was a bit jarring as well.

Not really bothered about the continuity dodging and the obvious attempt to go back to a series 3 to 6 sort of setup. It is a sitcom at the end of the day and i'd rather they ditch the baggage from 7 and 8 then struggle on with it if thats what it takes to make it funnier.

Anyway, looking foward to tommorows episode. Red Dwarf being mildley funny and a bit cheap is still likely to be allot more entertaining then whatever New Who is going to be serving up.

6. MisterE

MisterE What?

I'm going to break the trend and say I actually enjoyed it, and while I reckon a laugh track might've worked better, I don't miss it overly. Good jokes, although admittedly not as good as the high points of series V and VI. Overall, in my opinion, just a pretty decent episode. I'm sure the next two will pick up a bit.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There were a few funny lines, but overall I felt it was kinda flat.
    Was good to see the old crew back, but there was just something missing to it.

I did like that they questioned how there can be two hard light holograms running, but disappointed that it never got answered. Makes me wonder if the new girl isn't all she's suppose to be. And strange that she appeared right after the leviathon vanished.

The '9 years later' at the beginning is a reference to the fact it's been 9/10 years since the last episode I'm guessing.

I'm also guessing that all three parts were meant to be played as one, judging by the ending.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Kinda bland, but I wasn't surprised. I think Rob Grant took the jokes with him when he left.

9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I wish it was that simple but I guess you didn't see dark ages, it just seems appart neither of these guys are that funny.

I missed this I#ll watch part two if I have time but after how awful sason 8 was I didn't really expect much.

10. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The laugh track's absence was unfortunate, silence during the jokes just didn't fit... but I still enjoyed the episode. It's obvious it was arranged for a mini-movie so I expect the slow start, the next two episodes should have some of the familiar big laughs.

11. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Just watched it now, in agreement that it was rather flat. Whilst it was nice to see them again, unless it gets a whole lot funnier in the remaining two episodes, it'll be another of those should've let it be returns (see Sky's Blackadder abomination).

It was more of a way to fill half an hour, rather than a must see, saying that it was still leagues ahead of the US pilot, now that was a waste of time.

The first four series were the best, they should have done a Fawlty Towers and killed it after them.

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Dark Ages... nope, doesn't ring a bell. But I think you're onto something, the Red Dwarf novels they wrote alone were suspiciously joke free (and generally retreads of material from the TV show, but with more angst). Grant's novel Incompetence was pretty good, though.

13. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Ughhh...even though everyone seems to be a little disappointed with the new Red Dwarf, I gotta say I'm very jealous of everyone that got to see it. Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD release here in the states.

14. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    You have a PM with a link, I missed it on telly, so watched it later.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i do like incompetence, i also prefer Grants novel over Naylor's

I disagree, if it stopped then we would never of had Quarrantine, Back to Reality, Gunmen or Tika to ride, some of the best Red Dwarf episodes even though series 4 is my favourite.

i watched it and then watched it again 3 or 4 hours later and enjoyed it more the second time but what it missed was pacing, in the older series the scenes were shorter with snappy lines, whereas the scenes seemed more drawn out and acted in a more naturalistic manner. I think Doug Naylor needs to start thinking about Red Dwarf as a sitcom again rather than a dramcom... Read more. that said there were bits that made us laugh when we saw it. Shame they didn't get Norman Lovett back again as Holly, he could have had the one liners and exposition that the episode needed rather than a new hologram appearing out of nowhere for no reason. I also think Rimmer should have been reading something worse than the car mag personally, morris dancer monthly or something about telegraph poles would have suited better.

And will you guys stop calling it canned laughter, there is no such thing outside of the old hanna barbara cartoons, series 1-6 and 8 were performed infront of a live audience as are most studio sitcoms (series 7 was fully recorded then they showed it to an audience in complete form and recorded their laughter seperately (hence why the extended versions lack laughter tracks)

Overall i feel it needed

more jokes
    snappier scenes
    more explanation
    less CGI (doing the ships this way works well bur the skutter and tentacles would have looked better against the actors if they were physical entities.
    more time (it ran for half an hour, but if you take the advert break out i'm sure it only just comes to 25 minutes)
    A laugh track, Red Dwarf does need it, the kind of jokes within it are worthless without instant feedback from an audience.

(Sorry, I'm doing a drama degree at Uni and did a media course a few years ago, I'd be crap if i didn't notice these things about this episode)

Overall i thought it was weaker than i was hoping but after watching it with the nostalgia glasses broken a bit it is quite enjoyable, i only hope that the next two episodes improve upon the first

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't laugh once. I'm not bothering with the next rest of it.

17. Vector Sigma

Nobody called it canned laughter, we all said laugh track, which uh, you then refer to it as also. To me people laughing when they're not there, ala 7 is a laugh track, and its fairly clear this wasn't going to be an audience in the studio deal...

18. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Rob’s book colony isn’t bad either, I got to admin Rob’s backwards was funnier but I preferred Last Human as an end to red dwarf, I’m a bit of a sucker for happy ending and to me it was the better story.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Man, I waited nine years for that? Terrible. Lack of a laughter track made it feel something was missing. Of course, actual jokes were missing so maybe there was no need for a laughter track since there was nothing that required laughing at. I think the only half-amusing thing was the 'bit crap' part. I'm glad I recorded the episode though as I had to rewind almost everything new hologram woman said because I couldn't understand a word she spoke. Did it really need that thick accent? Especially as she had the most technobabble explaining to do to carry the story forward.
    Frankly the whole thing played like it was a fan script and the characters were written as weak parodies of what they'd been in other series.
    All I can hope for is that this is the slow start of an overall better story over three parts and maybe things will pick up from now on.

After watching last night's I had to watch some of the old episodes to wash the bad taste out of my eyes and ears.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was lack luster. I'll still download and watch the others just to see what happens. It does seem like all the funny left the series.

I do agree that new girl is Tentacle (or testicle) monster..