New Protector Images Make Me :(! Am i Alone?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tm Tarantulas, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i just saw the new images of the protector set and im underwhelmed.

* he looks nothing like rodimus
    * he barely has any armor on him
    *not up to par with the magnus upgrade
    *shitty head
    * most of the upgrade is the battle station, and it looks half assed!!!

FP knows this is going to sell. my guess is the price will be 100 dollars right off the bat.

just doesnt seem worth it for me, 5 piece of armor, and a chunk of kibble with a few guns on it for 100 bucks?

im underwhelmed

am i alone?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think it looks OK. Not fantastic, but OK...

A lot of it has to do with the head sculpt, which they got so right with Defender and seemingly so wrong here. Maybe it will all come good once the colour is on?

I disagree with your complaint about the lack of armour - you don't want him towering over all the other Autobots. Magnus was always a large character, in toy and cartoon. Rodimus Prime on the other hand, whilst an imposing figure and certainly taller than Hot Rod, was never huge. The size is about right for me, just hope the head looks better coloured.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rodimus doesn't look like Rodimus. By that, I mean that every iteration of him has been quite different from the ones before. This has enough design cues to create the connection. Once we see it in colour, the resemblance will solidify more

Rodimus isn't a heavily armoured bruiser in the first place.

More subjective here than anything.

Although, not sure why people are hating on the head, other than it being more Hot Rod than Rodimus.

There's probably more going on with it than just the one picture we've seen of it, and at the very least, it's got more going for it than the original.

Not sure why people keep assuming $100. This'll be, like, $60 maybe. City Commander was $80, and this'll be much smaller.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Should be an all new toy like Springer, not a part-former with excess trailer kibble.

5. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rodimus and hotrod should be cast into the fiery pit of Unicron's chasm! He will forever be my hated nemesis in the transformers lore due to his useless immature leadership and his lame actions that got OP killed!

as far as protector shell is concerned...um...I hope he comes out well because I like to see FP do well. though I've no intention of buying him it or whatever.

Love FP death to rodimus.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I agree with this man. I've been saying it for a while now... Rod is a bitch!

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This is a good add-on set, and I agree that Rodimus Prime was never the biggest and toughest of the Autobots, but FP really needs to do another head.

8. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    I think it looks fine.

It's city commander's tiny little head i hate, which is why i never bought him.

but protector will go great with animated arcee.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    City Commander's head size is fine. It's just that he's got massive shoulders and forearms.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The head will complement City Commander well as far as I can tell, and fits the style of the overall upgrade set. It's stern, like the Classic Rodimus. Need a better photograph to be sure, but for now I give them the benefit of the doubt.

11. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's just ok but it doesn't make me scream "miracle" :D  I think they can do a lot better... especially the head :( 

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't buy the 3rd party stuff, but I don't think this looks bad. This is what I posted in the news thread:

"Out of all these damn upgrade sets, the only one I've been tempted by was the Magnus-colored Commander set (like, really, does Nemesis Prime need an upgrade?), but I've managed to keep my Hasbro fanboyism and convince myself I don't need it, by using the excuse "all it does is make the figure look cooler, it's not like it enhances his transformation or articulation."

But damn, this one actually -does- enhance the arm articulation. That's pretty smart, I gotta admit. I still can't see myself buying it though, because I need a Rodimus Prime even less than I need an armored Magnus. But I'll give it props for what it does."

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just a prototype.

And I think it looks damn good so far.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:

I totally agree with you not worth it to me.

15. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Now that the "holy shit!" is wearing off, I'm becoming more and more critical.

It looks like there's about $40 of plastic that I don't need or want. I display my TF in big groups, so this battle station will be off to the side.

A lot of it will come down to price and coloured pictures. I do like how his shoulders are formed from Hot Rod's arms and the way they make use of his original gun.

We'll see, we shall see.

16. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

It's not what I expected, but I'm still interested! I haven't purchased any third party add-ons yet, but I have feeling that this one will make me change my mind!

17. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I think he looks beast.... That means friggin' AWESOME

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I will never hesitate to buy something from FansProject. Their work is golden; the Protector upgrade will be no different IMO.

19. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I like it for the most part. The head could use some work. I like the sleeker looking robot. City Commander use a good portion of the trailer in a weapon as well. I think if they tried to make more of the trailer into armor or bigger armor it wouldn't look as good. More isn't always better. Do I want a "battle station" sitting on my shelf? No but, I want the rest of the armor.

20. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it and will get it but I too hope the head looks better once we see it in color.