New Predaking(2010) plastic or metal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chump, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Chump

Chump Well-Known Member

I have seen posts speculating as to whether the new version is going to be plastic or metal, but does anyone here have any information? The toy is due in 2.5 months so I would imagine that someone out there would know? Thanks.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Questions are not news.

Couldn't you post in one of the already existing threads in News and Rumors?

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Plastic is the current word.

4. anabolik1

anabolik1 Banned

Yep this ^^

...at least it definitely looks plastic to me based on the latest high res piks that have been shown.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm hoping for plastic, actually. If Predaking is lighter, his joints will be under less stress.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    either way I want it so I am glad I got the preorder in.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Chances are almost 100% that it will have the die-cast. Takara would have to make entirely new molds for the die-cast parts in order to replace them with plastic, and there's no reason to expect that to be done when they can make a higher profit by simply using what they have. The stated weight of the product also supports the idea of die-cast, as it matches the prior, die-cast reissue release precisely.

Gold paint is gold paint...and almost all the gold on the leg-bot is replacing the yellow on that figure, all of which was enameled metal.

8. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Exactly what Sidecutter said. There's no reason to expect it not to be diecast since the last release was. People thinking or hoping that it will be plastic are likely to be upset when it comes out.

Randy

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, plastic would be a pleasant surprise for me, at best. It's most likely the metal.

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought I'd read that at various points in time the toy has been available both with and without die cast.

I when I was younger I did have two of the predacons (during G1), and I'm almost positive the two I had did not have significant die cast on them anywhere. (the certainly could have been some joints or something- but no noticeable body panels)

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the reissue was die-cast. If they want to use the same molds, then they have to make this reissue diecast. Otherwise, they need to hunt down the other mold set, or make new ones. Since the die-cast one is already on hand, it makes sense to use it.

12. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    In 1986 the Predacons initially had some metal parts and then later got switched to all plastic.

However, the Predacons were reissued a few years ago and were only the metal versions.

It is known that the mold for the metal versions was available and used to make reissue that few years ago. (Different materials, plastic & die cast, require different molds to make the same parts.

It's assumed that the mold used for the plastic versions, last used in 1986, is not available.