New pics of 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime in package!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Smokescreen, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've seen it done, and it works just fine.

2. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What was this done on? I'm curious because I've never seen it before.

3. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The packaging is really nice, but that's not enough to get me to buy another of this mold. I still have my original G1 legless Prime, a G2 version in great condition, and a New Year Convoy (which was for me, the ultimate release of this mold).

While the opportunity of owning some of the original figures that I never got to have when I was a kid is appealing, the price alone has been enough to prevent me from collecting the reissues. Especially when Alternators and Masterpiece figures came into the picture. I'd much rather see something more along those lines as an anniversary figure than yet another reissue of the G1 prime mold.

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

This is so mine!!!!!!11

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

1/64 scale toy trucks. I've got two that were bought for wheels and trailers for TFs. The cheap ass two dollar walmart toy has some flaking on one smokestack. The more expensive NASCAR truck, has no flaking on any of its flexible chrome parts. Something would have to flex around a lot, to flake the chrome off. Prime's stacks wouldn't flex that much, considering their length and thickness.

Seems to me, with as much as their charging for this, they could just drill hole into each stack, and insert a metal pin, to strenthen it.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yeah but see, I am not thinking about myself. I would prefer to see things released as widely as possible if circumstances allow it. You idea would only benefit a small number of people in a single market.

Actually it would cost them money to have retooled the mold back then to have short stacks. They don't actually '[lop] off existing ones'.

I don't really think most consumers would care about the stacks in the manner that fans do. Not unless you actually go up and tell people, but that would be sad.

Depending on if Hasbro will let it be known that it is the 25th Anniversary, TF is a fair bit more well known now than it was in 2004 and 2006 respectively. So there's every chance this might do alright.

Hey, Hasbro Australia and Target have been able to move the $200 MP-4 Convoy + Trailer over the past few weeks at a decent rate, and I would say that's significantly helped by TF being much more well-known now.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

This is good for people that didn't get the mold when it was reissued before, like Unicron. People who saw the movie and saw G1 as a kid might give in to buy this or get one for their own kid. Hasbro took the movie like a reboot point to sell toys again, or something in that manner IMO

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah. Makes sense. Lot of people probably hitting the toy aisles that werent there before the movie. Any extra sales they can pick up from people who see something that brings back good memories is a good thing.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I've seen it, but I'll be damned if I can remember where... surprised the heck out of me because I was expecting the usual brittle plastic, and instead it was all flexible and rubbery-like (without the flaking). I would theorize it must be some new advance in the coating that allows the vac-chrome to flex?

I've seen it on toy swords, that I know. My nephews have a couple. The swords are nice and bendy, but totally blinged out with chrome.

Yeah, I know that... I meant more figuratively "lopping" the stacks off the molds... since they'd probably have to make new positives in order to make a new mold, it might mean quite literally lopping off part of the stacks on the positive.

In any case, still the fastest, cheapest solution... not much time or money involved, though there wouldn't be much more time or money involved with making new stacks out of a second type of plastic either. Hence, a cheap and lazy solution that compromises the toy.

Think it doesn't compromise the toy? Are we having this conversation? Is this a point of contention in the fandom? If so, then yes, it compromises the toy. :) 

Again, it comes down to Hasbro... if you're going to re-release the toy in a commemorative edition, do it right. Have a little pride. Make a bit of an effort.

You know how some people insist that G1 fans look back on G1 with rose-coloured glasses? Well I think a lot of those people are looking back and underestimating children. When I was a kid, all my friends were acutely aware of animation errors and story inconstencies... and likewise we knew when something was missing, omitted, or poorly designed on a toy.

While I seriously doubt that little kids are going to make up a big part of the market for this re-issue, any kid that A) knows what trucks look like, or B) knows what G1 Optimus Prime is supposed to look like (hell, it's right on the front of the box!) is going to notice that there's something amiss with the stacks. I wouldn't have missed that in 1984, and I doubt kids have gotten that much dumber... :) 

I'm not saying that truncated stacks are going to ruin the toy forever... but it does sort of undermine it's status as a collector-worthy commemorative re-issue... and based on the price tag they've attached to this thing, that's exactly what it is.

zmog

10. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

yeah, cant wait

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very nice, expensive but nice. I may replace the stacks. I'd love to get one MISB signed by Mr. Peter Cullen.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Maybe Hasbro could just supply a set of long stacks in the box for people to swap-out themselves if they fancy. Parents buying for children could just throw away the long stacks before giving the set to a child. That way Hasbro can't really be blamed for injuries since the toy wasn't supplied with long stacks fitted.

13. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I'll definately be getting this.

Still don't like the pipes though, damnit Hasbro!

14. wipedout

wipedout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I may be in the minority here but I really dislike the packaging. I much prefer the encore style.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I might get him, though I probably won't. It all depends on how much money I have at the time.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Just curious, and forgive me if this was answered before

But how exactly do long stacks hurt kids?

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    they break and splinter easily. that = choking hazard.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    They can also stab, being much sharper than normal plastic.

19. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    saw this first hand at TFcon. I like the box I just wish we would get a slightly remolded prime. maybe a moveable head, better fists, who knows maybe a ball joint or soemthing. I dont care if they even do him all plastic.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    This is a maybe on my list. I have a battered old G1 Prime and my G2 Optimus is in decent shape. The packaging is nice though. I'm definitely not paying full price for it, if I can find it on sale for cheap I'll get it.