New Phone

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by skywarp, Oct 26, 2010.

1. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Well long story short, I am looking for new cell phones from my wife and I. I really wanted an iPhone, but the lack of a unlimited data plan scares me on cost.

I have so much bad about the droids, but they see, to my only option now. I want unlimited data and sprint seems to be the most cost effective.

Which phone would you suggest? I would like some thing like the iphone(Yes i have used one and have a iPod Touch already)

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

My wife got an HTC touch pro 2. She seems to like it very much.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm mentally inserting the word 'heard' in there.
    What have you heard bad about Android phones?
    Who did you hear it from, Steve Jobs?

Are you locked into a carrier?

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I have to second this. I haven't heard hardly anything bad about Android after the first couple of updates...

I WANT a Droid x, but honestly, after the debacle I've had the last 18 months with a BB Storm (1st gen), I'm so fed up with paying $30 a month for a data plan, I'm looking at going back to a base phone, like the LG Cosmos or Samsung Intensity 2, to just call and text...

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have an htc Hero with Sprint. No complaints.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you have heard bad things about it then :D 

I haven't either, but my iPhone is doing just fine, and then some. I edited an HD video of our Ren Faire, while in the shitter last week. Technological Gold.

7. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Well, yes, but that doesn't mean they're valid... lol

Mostly complaints about lack of selection in the app store (which is now over 100k apps, as I understand it), and how the iStore has more options. It's like, "Really? It's only been around for about 3 more years.. go figure it'll have more available than the first year Android's been on the market..."

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

:lolol 
    Seriously funny $h!t

9. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Well I ended up going with a samsung transform. Since it was the best that sprint had. I say that, but I wanted the evo, but the battery life stinks and the extra per month for service that is not even in my state. I could not justify.

I am having issues with my driod. One is signal, I get 2 bars in my house. I have not dropped a call, but I just got the phone last night. The more serious issue for me is the speed of the phone. Sprint said it was fast, but angry birds runs like junk. It is playable, but it is very jerky and it has lots of graphical errors. The weird part is that my 2nd gen iPod Touch plays it smothly and with out problem. Is it just written badly for droid?

Also when in an app, the home button takes a lot of time to swich to the home screen. Where as the iPods button is almost instant. I timed them side by side and the speed differnce is amazing.

Am I asking to much? I knew with a driod i would not be able to use itunes(to me a huge strike since i like it), but with a droid i was keeping my ipod 2nd gen. But with slowness of the phone, i am comparing it to a outdate Apple product. Shouldn't it be faster than 3 year old tech? Is there any way to make it faster?

10. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    It may be Samsung's implementation of Android. I got a DROID2 on Tuesday, and it's smooth as butta. Angry Birds runs fine (BEST. GAME. EVER. BTW) have 3 of my 7 home screens full of widgets and shortcuts. Home button is responsive. Email/Text/Facebook all are quick and smooth, even when not using Wi-Fi and using actual phone signal.

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    Yeah get an android phone, most notably the Droid2 like what yodafett said.

12. MicroZone21

MicroZone21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Transform is an entry-level Android these days, so a lot of newer apps & games (like Angry Birds) just don't work properly. I have a Moment and it has the same specs & same issues. The Evo & The Epic are the only (current) high end android phones from Sprint.

If you don't mind buying the phone out right, Verizon has prepaid Android phones. The Droid X & Droid 2 are $400 prepaid vs $200 for a contract. But if you have even slightly wonky credit, you'd have to put down $125 or $400 deposit just to open an account, even for a basic flip phone. That's why I'm on Sprint. No deposit required vs $125.

With Vzn's prepaid smartphones, you'd spend $95 + tax a month for their 450 min/unlimited text & data bundle. No extra service charges, just your local sales tax. That's $6 more than I pay Sprint for the the same level plan, or $4 cheaper than if I had a 4G phone. (which doesn't work in my area either) I only mention prepaid Vzn because you mentioned Sprint's prices as a reason for going to them. This pricing is similar, without Vzn's extra service charges.