New Paypal rules? 21 days later?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chrisr291, Jan 9, 2010.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I figured most people selling toys
    would look here.

Well, I'm selling stuff on ebay and I just got this email from Pay pal

So... that means Paypal is going to hold on to your money for 21 days. So then, I thought i'd offer people free shipping in exchange for a money order. That way, i'm still losing the same amount of money I would to pay pal but the customer gets to keep it, not paypal...

Anyhow, so i'm in the process of revising my auctions with this,

Nothing to bad right? Well... now I got this

Yikes.... what do you think?

2. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    mark of the beast programing?

3. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main target is the following:

Either way its another blow against sellers, regardless of who it effects. They need to stop bending over backwards for the buyer. They'll learn when ALL sellers migrate elsewhere.

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    So now we need Paypal looking at feedback for us?

5. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Actually, I believe these rules went into effect sometime last year. Same with the money order rule on eBay.

If eBay wants to keep their big sellers, like buy.com, and deter new small sellers, they're doing a fantastic job.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    The money order thing isn't new, but I've never heard of PP holding your money before. I've recently sold some things haven't had any hold on any payments. Did you get this in an email or was it a notice in your account? I've gotten nothing to this effect so far, but this worries me in a way.

I don't mean to ask a lot of questions but, have you had any claims against you and/or not had the money to cover the refund? Do you sell stuff that may put you in a "high risk" category?

I'm just trying to figure out how they are enforcing this, if it's selectively or all across the board.This may change the way I sell things, I don't like not having access to my own money... especially for almost a month after I get the payment.

this isn't a fair trade for having the ability to let ppl gift me money :/

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Is this for everyone? I don't remember getting such a notice and don't seem to observe any such 21 day effect.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I can see this as an inconvenience for a small time seller who is trying to sell something quick to pay a bill or something, but something like this was needed to protect the buyers. And 21 days isn't really that long.

I guess none of you have ever paid for something, never got the item and then found out that the seller cleared out their account.

Prohibiting MOs does seem like a bit of a money grab though... Not that I like getting MOs. The trip to the bank cost me more in time and gas than the Paypal fee.

9. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i didn't get a notice and i withdrew funds yesterday after receiving it yesterday.

10. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

likewise, i've sold some bits and bobs recently and it's all gone straight into my account.

i'm guessing this only applies to accounts that have some kind of active/past disputes or 'suspicious behaviour' logged against them.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I rarely ever sell stuff on ebay. I have a bunch of stuff about to end today and tomorrow, maybe thats why I got this email?

Honestly, i'm only selling Transformers with the occasional Video game here and there.

Altogether I have 100% positive feedback (128 total).

EDIT: high risk stuff.... I did sell 2 Iphones last month. They both belonged to my girlfriends family. Maybe thats why I was chosen?

12. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

OK HERE IS THE SHORT VERSION OF THIS STUFF THAT HAPPENS NOW:

you have to have over 100 positive feedback or 10 DSR reviews with a average of 4.7 or higher in order to clear that 21 day hold bullshit...or once positive feedback is received on the auction ebay will clear the hold or once paypal can see that it is delivered they will clear the hold...

so if you are new to ebay selling...add tracking info into paypal everytime you sell something on ebay...that way they can run tracking and see delivery was done...since so many folks do not bother with leaving feedback anymore...

13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I've never heard of this either, but then again I don't sell on Ebay, only the boards.

14. U.Magnus80

U.Magnus80 Well-Known Member

Sold some stuff on eBay last year and had funds held. This has been policy for a little while now.
    The part I hated most was if you wanna try to get the funds freed up sooner than 21 days you have to mildly pester the buyer and hope they don get irritated.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but isn't 3 weeks a little much?

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah it is, i have only 141 feedback too, glad i got above that before they implemented that crap, three weeks is too much

16. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Doesn't this mean that Paypal earns interest on all monies held during that period? They do point out that Money Market customers will continue to earn interest during the 21 days, that leads me to believe there's also interest building involved in the millions of regular transactions per day.

Maybe they're genuinely acting in the user's best interests, but it sounds like they're creating a nice little bonus for themselves in the process.

17. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

eBay Confirms More 21-Day Holds from PayPal

basically if ebay consider you as a risky proposition, they may hold your cash up. not everybody, not every transaction, and not always for 21 days. this isn't some interest harvesting operation* it's just to ensure there is money to send back to the buyer in the event of a dispute.

*(if it is, they're going to a lot of trouble to make very little money - we're talking about upto 21 days of interest on a fraction of the sales processed, which amounts to fuck all compared to the total value of those 'millions of regular transactions per day' many of which aren't ebay transactions at all)

18. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I had a co-worker ask me to sell her iPod on ebay for her earlier this week. I'm so glad I passed on that, especially if it's the iPhones that are causing the trouble with your paypal account.