New Mutant's Forever #4

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Infosaur, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Okay I'm not going to hate on this book anymore, it's just too damn campy.

I understand it doesn't take place in the "main universe" anyway, and since I've pretty much dropped most Marvel titles anyway I can just enjoy it for the epic stupidity that it is.

Super Nazis? Sheesh. I know there's such a thing as anti-semitism, but is there such a thing as anti-germanism?
    Because they JUST.
    KEEP.
    GOING.
    BACK.
    TO.
    THE.
    WELL.
    with this.

Come on!

On another thread someone was complaining about lack of originality in comics these days
    apparently they're gonna kill Spider Man
    but let's see what cliches they've really overused lately:

#5.) Kill somebody
    #4.) Bring sombody back to life
    #3.) Old chum turns into badguy
    #2.) Killer with a heart of gold becomes new "grim" anti-hero

and NUMBER ONE

Somehow the Nazis will be involved!

(I didn't mean to focus on the Nazi bit so much but this line is comic gold)

"Soldiers is just a word. The (Red) Skull's Reality is way different. They Embody the Nazi Warrior ethic in body and soul. The Skull's Genius took their natural ability and pushed it to the max making them pretty much the perfect fighting machines."

As a german myself,,,,

:wtf: :lolol 

What are they, masters of drinking, bad dance music and over complicated cars? There's a Mutant Power for ya!

(Of course, said elite squad get's taken out in about 3 panels by 4 teenagers,,, so,,,,, yeah.)

Okay let me get past the ridiculous *snort* Super Nazi aspect of the story and get to what I actually LIKED about this book.

Anyone remember when Marvel tried to make a D&D game for their Heros? You could roleplay the Avengers-FF-X-men or your own made up squad in some non continuity battle where everything turn out okay in the end?

Yeah, this whole book could have been a lot cooler if it had been released as a campaign modual. It's a self contained story, it's in an alternate continuity, the charachters are cardboard cutouts personality wise, it will probably wrap up nice and tidy with a bow at the end.

So take your heros to Scenic Nova Roma and go Killin' Nazis with Seline and the Bear Jew. (actually putting, Aldo Raine, the Bear Jew, and the rest of the Inglorious Bastards in this, which you could if you were DRUNK and role playing, would make this a GAZILLION times more :bay )

One last detail:

the only interesting thing even tried in this book is the attempt to make Seline (the Vampire Witch Black Queen of the Hellfire Club) into some sort of "good" character. The Hero's won't kill the Red Skull, in spite of all his atrocities, and his unrepentant nature, but they allow Seline to keep a whole city as something between pets and a food supply. I mean it comes off as total BS but they had to have some reason to have her fighting on the "good" side.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

So why are you buying a Claremont book if you don't actually want rediculous dialogue and dated cliches?

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

c'mon, Wolverine's not in this book, so it can't all be cliches.

I used to like Claremont's writing, 20 years ago, but he just seems out of ideas here.

Seems like he's just going though the motions here.

Actually, did he write issues 12 & 3? Maybe he was sent in to clean up the mess.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Claremont ran out of good new X-Men ideas well before his original run ended and has been mostly terrible since he came back in early 00s.

I'm pretty sure that his Forever books exist for the purpose of getting sales from the 15-20k who are still wearing nostalgia goggles for his work without having him on current books.