New MP Starscream stress marks?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Mine has one crack in it already. Just now noticed it. Has anyone who's had their's crack actually break off completely? I can't imagine the damage would stop there...

2. KYQ

KYQ Well-Known Member

I've had a tiny bit of plastic crack and totally break off from my MP-03 Starscream. The bar's exposed, but it still sits in place and to be honest, the wing joint actually kinda turns more smoothly now. Still, it's made me more cautious and all, and I've been getting a spare of each of my Seekers as a result.

3. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    This is such bullsh**. First the tarnish on MP Megs, and now I get to check for this when I get home. :banghead:  What was the point of MP3 if not to learn from its mistakes!?

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    yup, I've got one. probably never woulda noticed, if not for this thread :(  however, now I just know to be more careful, although maybe I'll hold onto a second one just to be on the safe side.

5. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Phew, mine is fine, but I've only transformed him a few times.

I guess I should really start being careful when I transform him...or...just not transform him.

6. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

If you have a crack, it will eventually break off if you keep bending that joint.

If your wing joint cracked (you will hear the popping noise), the first thing to do is not freak out, its not the end of world. Then carefully let some super glue slip into the crack and do not move the joint for a half a day to let the glue dry completely. Be very careful with the glue, you don't want to glue the entire joint, just let a little slip into the crack filling it up.

If you're lucky you will be able to move the joint again carefully without it cracking open again. The glue will fill the crack, reconnecting the plastic and giving the pin/joint a little extra room.

This what I did last night and I was able to transform to jet and back to robot again without the joint cracking open again. We'll see how long this lasts.

To prevent stress/cracks
    Its all about the stress put on the pins in that joint, in other words a lot of it has to do with how you bend that wing joint. If you feel a lot of tension in that wing joint when it bends, STOP!!! The secret is to bend both wing sections around the black link piece at the same time, this has minimal tension and the joint bends fairly easy this way. I will try to make a picture illustration tonight.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Well damn, guess I'll keep it sealed and just display the old one

8. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I just checked mine.

I don't see any stress marks on either side.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just did this, it does seem to help a little. I also understand what you mean about bending both joints at once, that also seems to be help with the resistance.

10. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmm...none on mine and also my MP-03

11. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

*notes thread*

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely fix this when I get my SS.

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Mine had them out of the box before I even transformed it. Same exact place as MP 03. Guess all the talk of improvment by board members is bs.

14. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Mine doesn't seem to have them.. kinda hard for me to tell with it being white plastic

15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I hate to revive a zombie thread, but my Hasbro MPSS just got the stress marks as well, and I've been delicate with it each time I transformed it.

I have an x-acto knife in my hand as I type this. Exactly how much should I shave down the plastic? Is it a purely surface scraping as indicated in that picture? Or am I going to have to knock out some pins and hollow out the inside too?

16. kiririth

kiririth Well-Known Member

bought a used MP walmart SS and this part crumbled after the 2nd time i Transformed it...

Dunno if the previous owner was rough with the transformation, but yea... this piece has issues... i need to figure out what to use to glue it back together

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dont know if this was mentioned at all, but if you look at the joint of the wings, they have a 90 degree angle on the bottom of the hinges. If you simpley take a nail file and shave them back some, that should reduce the amount of stress that is put onto the joints during the transformation.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Just checking...

Is this the correct modification? (the red part is the wing, and the black part is the connector piece)

[​IMG]

19. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    I have pretty much the same question as LOT. Which area needs to be trimmed? The connector piece itself or do I trim the area between the connector piece and the two ends that are attached to it?

Also, could someone PLEASE OH PLEASE post better pics so we can see the area that needs to be modified and exactly where it is on the toy?

The pics that are posted in this thread are such a close-up that it's hard to tell where that area actually is.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO REPLES!!

20. Lord Of Tetris

Er...I hate to bump this thread so blatantly, but I just bought myself a nice set of exacto knives, and I'm really eager to fix my Starscream up. Right now, he has a white stress mark on the joint that keeps breaking, so I have to cut away at it, like people have said.

[​IMG]

I guess the question still remains the same: am I supposed to shave the part I labeled in yellow? Or am I supposed to shave the connector itself, which I marked in purple?