New Movie's Effect on G1 Toy Prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tito, May 1, 2007.

1. tito

tito Well-Known Member

What kind of effect will the new movie have on Transformer toy prices (specifically G1) this summer? Just looking for some opinions. Will the demand be up due to the new interest from the movie or will the market be saturated since everyone will dig them out of the attic once the movie comes out?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've honestly been wondering this myself. My personal conclusion (no facts or anything, just my reasoning) is that prices will probably drop for a period of time around the release of the movie.

Why?

Well, I think a lot of collectors are holding off on eBaying stuff until the film, with the assumption that prices will jump with renewed interest. But I don't see new or renewed interest in Transformers translating into collector-level pricing. Some guy is gonna see the movie, think it's great, want to go get "that toy he had as a kid," and then he's gonna balk at the Buy-It-Now prices set by collectors counting on movie-related interest.

Basically, I think the supply of vintage toys will go up, but I doubt the demand will significantly increase. And that translates to lower prices. Now, I might be wrong. There aren't THAT many collectors out there, and if enough junior yuppie types that grew up with TFs are willing to blow $200 on a C6 incomplete Jazz 'cause he was their favorite and they own a Porsche now, prices will jump. But I'm inclined to think those will be rare exceptions to the rule. And collectors looking to buy will just put their purchases off 'til the buzz winds down, which I think will contribute to a lack of increase in demand.

But that's just my reasoning.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

I expect them to spike in value and stay there. As new fans grow into the fandom (and some old fans come back), more vintage toys will be bought up and the supply of good conditioned pieces will dwindle even further.

Look at the rebirth of Star Wars during the 90's. Vintage Star Wars toys boomed in value and never looked back. Transformers is a brand with that kind of staying power.

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

It has already affected them IMO...

I've been watching ebay pretty close for the last 4 months or so...and I can see where G1 toys are going for more than what they normally have...

I do believe it will come back down though...just too much movie hype right now...

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Just like comics they will spike for a period and then drop after the hype dies down between movies.

6. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Initial spike is almost certain, due to speculators if no one else.

If TF is a big hit, expect the prices to stay high for at least a few months. If it's Spider-Man/Pirates big, the prices might not come down for years, if ever. OTOH, it the film turns into Godzilla, the prices should zoom back down fast.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There has been a bit of an increase in prices from clueless people who still have a box of their childhood toys that have heard that people collect Transformers and they are very valuable. They then believe that their broken incomplete C2.5 Dirge body is worth $150.

8. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    same here. I'm amazed when I see those toy lots (no more than 50 pieces, somewhat complete) go for $2,000+

9. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I expect a flood of crap, high prices, followed by a backlash, dying hype, and tanking sales.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It depends entirely on how the movie is received. If it's a huge hit, yeah, vintage G1 will probably go up, along with select other things (20th ann. Prime, perhaps Beast Wars since it's old enough to grab newly nostalgic people now). Alternators will probably not even though there might be increased demand, because there's also a flux of supply of it right now as collectors tire of the line and sell their Alts off (ebay is flooding with them right now).

If it's not a huge hit, and by huge I mean Spiderman/LOTR huge, then there shouldn't be any noticeable effect, and in fact I agree with squirrelcar that prices may actually go DOWN due to the amount of collectors that have been hoarding stuff back to sell under the assumption of increased demand. If the supply is larger and the demand is no higher than it is now, prices are gonna go down. Basic economics there.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope your prediction is correct as it would mean cheap deals for a hardcore G1 nut like me! :D 

12. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I finished off my G1 collection back in December just to avoid this. It may happen, it may not. If it does, I don't have to worry about it. :) 

13. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Yeah, the only thing that will go up I think is loose G1 stuff, which I will complete by Botcon (only 10 to go). Only Hardcore G1 nutz will be going after MISB G1 stuff, which we're all collectors already, and I don't think our group will grow very much after the movie. You have to be hard core nutty to spend several g's on misb stuff, just like me.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Im aiming for MIB items , but that market is weird sometimes u can win a mib seeker for next to nothing and the next it can jumpo to 200. I think it depends much of whitch character it is , I dont think we will see a big price increase one some but some others might be even higher for a while like Grimlock.

15. defstar

defstar Autobot...

ALL Dinobots are expensive at the moment...passing up on those till the movie comes and goes...

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

My sentiments exactly! You can also look at other toy/comic movie properties, like X-Men and such and see what might happen. Answer: Not much, from what I can tell. I'll panic if I have to, but I doubt I will.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Known characters will see a spike. But obscure stuff I still need, like Pretenders and Powermasters? No effect.

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Allready have all dinos loose and minty but I will uppgrade them to MIB once I am donw with seekers( 2 left) and the cars ( 9 left of 21 )

Its fun to hunt :) 

19. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I hope the movie is seen only by us, the old fans!!!

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i also expect a small spike, then prices will drop back down.....key items, as stated before, will rise....while obscure things will not do much....

also, i expect a crapton of people to bring in horrid worthless toys and then get pissed when i dont wanna buy their beat up crap....oh well, im still gonna have a good summer