New mold for Wheeljack advocates question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Edgewise, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Of course a new mold for everything is preferable, but since there is a limit to number of new molds and a need to re-use molds, I had resigned myself to hoping for a dual purpose Wheeljack/Tracks mold for awhile.

There's still many people that want Wheeljack to have his on mold. So if you're one of them, can you answer my hypothetical question?

Hypothetically, let's suppose "United"/"Generations" Wheeljack is going to be a remold of Tracks. (I don't want to debate this, let's just assume for now)

If that's the case, and given the other Generations remolds/repaints we know of... to get a new mold for Wheeljack would mean some other new mold Generations figure would be gone and the Tracks and Wheeljack molds would have to have second uses.

So to get a new mold Wheeljack:
    1.) Which new mold "Generations-style"* figure would you eliminate?
    2.) How would you reuse(repaint or remold) the Wheeljack mold?
    3.) How would you reuse(repaint or remold) the Tracks mold?

*Since the yellow/red card isn't a pure distinction any more, by "Generations-style" I mean a deluxe "Classics"/"CHUG"-like update of a G1 figure. It does not include "Movie"-like deluxes such as Terradive, Tomahawk, Hailstorm, Ironhide, Sidearm Sideswipe, etc.

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Perceptor. Easy.
    Retool with a new head and red deco into Throttlebot Chase, then in a blue deco as Freeway.
    Remold, new head, yellow deco. Since Hasbro likes their Micromaster homages, Motorhead.

[​IMG]

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Well, the easiest answer would be who their G1 toys were redone as. Tracks into Road Rage and Wheeljack into Slicer.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Get rid of the Deluxe Ratchet mold. HFTD molds are eligible since Generations toys are being released in that line.

Then make Tracks as Runabout and Wheeljack as Runamuck. Easy.

5. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I say HFTD toys are not eligible because I want to see what hard choice people would have to make, what G1 Classics would they sacrifice for another G1 Classics. Going back to Universe 2.0 seems a bit of a copout to my idea of the hypothetical as well... though certainly that's a weak mold I'd fine without existing.

Yep, that's the easy part... now, the hard part... what current/upcoming G1 Classics mold would you sacrifice for a Classics Wheeljack mold?

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was referring to the deluxe movie Ratchet in the HFTD line, the little version of the big yellow chicken. Since Jazz, Mindset and Tracks are now RTS releases, and since we have action master homages like Axor in HFTD, we're not just talking about one line anymore.

If you are asking us to be that restrictive, then I also vote to give that lame Perceptor the axe. Wheeljack has always been better than Perceptor.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Would it be cheating to say Tracks himself? Nothing against him in particular, he's just not a character who does much for me.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If they could pull off a good looking modern toy based off of the Lancia Stratos, I would absolutely love a new mold Wheeljack. However, if it's something they wouldn't be able to pull off, a Tracks repaint/retool would be perfectly fine with me.

Honestly, I would not hesitate in removing Thunderwing from the line-up if it meant we would get a Wheeljack instead. Thunderwing's design doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Given he would have an alternate head-sculpt available to him, I would have Wheeljack repainted as Daytonus (the RID Spychanger). Yellow and black would make for a good deco on the Lancia, imho.

Tracks I would probably have repainted as Swerve. Nice red and black deco with some gold accents. Then a second time as a Classics take on movie Sideswipe, with a nice silver and black deco with some blue accents (hey, more repaints, more support for new molds).

9. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    1.) Which new mold "Generations-style"* figure would you eliminate?

Kup. gtfo

2.) How would you reuse(repaint or remold) the Wheeljack mold?

no one

3.) How would you reuse(repaint or remold) the Tracks mold?

no one

10. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

eliminate perceptor

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

While I'm fine with Wheeljack being a retool of Tracks, I'd go with Thunderwing being removed if a mold had to be replaced for a new mold WJ. Points to Hasbro for trying to make new figures for the old pretenders and Thunderwing was the big enemy in Stormbringer, but there's more than enough Decepticon jets in Deluxe Class. Wheeljack, meanwhile, has a cool alt. mode and is a race car. Kids LOVE race cars (as evidenced by the number of "Rally" Bumblebee repaints), and I don't know any point in time when Thunderwing was asked for as a figure.

In terms of repaints, Hasbro could really get some PR points with the fans by releasing the mold in the infamous "Marlboor Wheeljack" scheme under a new name as a Decepticon. Tracks could be repainted into anything and have a generic name like Swerve slapped on it and it would do in place of a Wheeljack repaint in favor of a WJ mold.

12. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Nope, not cheating... I was thinking about that and wondering if anyone would go for it.

There are a whole lot more deluxe car molds than deluxe jet molds.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    1) I'd might go with Preceptor even though i do like the look of him.

2) Wheeljack into Slicer and Cybertron Downshift.

3) Road Rage or GTFO.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    1. Toss up between Thunderwing (he should be a voyager, and his design seems mighty compromised, almost like he's got Aerialbot-itis) or Perceptor (don't think the alt-mode fits him. Plus I personally would like a voyager/ultra life-size microscope mold)

2. Wheeljack -> Slicer

3. Tracks -> Road Rage or some yellow scheme in homage to his BT scheme.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wheeljack to Slicer (or Slice, depending on the name game Hasbro often has to play) and Tracks to Road Rage only make complete sense to me.

This is also to say that these two molds can be used as other figures repurposed (such as Foster's suggestion of Runamuck/Runabout) or another run.

Hasbro has really gotten their mileage out of the Sunstreaker mold, for example. I have no complaints with any of the usages that Hasbro has with that one, either. I image that Hasbro could do something equally as clever with both of these new molds, given we get two new molds.

I don't see inquiry #1 as being a prerequisite. For #2 and @3, simply see above :) 

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    1) WfC Cliffjumper. Easily.

2) Slice[r] or a Stunticon

3) Road Rage or a Stunticon