New, lower budget movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Feb 11, 2018.

1. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy shit, yes! I’ve always regretted we never got a late 80’s Transformers with stop motion, it wouldn’t look anything close to the realism we have today. But there is a certain magic in stopmotion, maybe nostalgia.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'd welcome lower-budgeted movies if they're coming from a place of resourcefulness and originality. That may be the case with Travis Knight, but Paramount in general, I'm not convinced.

Sure, it's impressive when you watch some of the behind the scenes footage, but that's the kind of work ethic that's only possible when you're not thinking things through.

You can run around filming 20 car chases with a hundred explosions from multiple angles, and maybe some lunatic like Bay gets all that in the can in record time, and produces so much impressive footage that he wants to use almost all of it in the movie. Or you can know exactly what you need, and plan it all out, and maybe sometimes a few things don't go quite right first time so you have to reset, but you're focused on what you need, and the significance and importance of getting that right, and you plod along, not on generating as much mindless busy-work as possible to get your money's worth out of the crew and everyone on set, and not improvising so much superficial nonsense that important scenes from the script get overshadowed or edited out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    Ebay:

i can't even

edit:

pass

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    In TF2007 we got the chevy, GMC, Hummer, pontiac, saleen mustang & that worked just fine. Hell people started customizing their mustangs to copy barricade’s alt mode when the 2007 movie came out.

RoTF didn’t have that effect anymore. Save for the Chevy volt. Sideswipe’s alt mode was a concept so people could not get it.

The more expensive cars didn’t come up til DOTM, AoE & TLK. By DoTM, that’s when we start to see higher end cars with benz as soundwave’s alt mode, who should’ve been a predator drone anyway & should’ve been taller & larger and who was barely in the movie anyway & got stupidly killed in less than a minute.

Would’ve been nice to see Decepticons as Toyotas, nissans, subarus, and other regular cars that regular audiences could relate to. Which was impossible with cannon fodder decepticons.

I guess that’s part of the failure post 2007 movie and specially after RoTF. Sure the Autobots had their characters. But the cons, specially after the 2007 movie, basically had... nothing noteworthy and interesting as far as alt modes go. Again, this goes back to the idea that after the 2007 movie, the cons basically just became monstrous cannon fodders.

Don’t get me wrong though. Starscream’s alt mode was great being an F22. I wish Megatron had an M1 main battle tank alt mode in DoTM. But nope. Other than that, the Cons really had nothing after barricade.

So that was the one of the charisma of bumblebee and barricade from the first movie because they had regular alt modes.

I’d reserve the top-notch cars like the Lamborghini for an autobot with a vain personality or a villain like Lockdown. Lockdown’s alt mode was perfectly suited for him and it gave him this personality: vain, unapproachable, lethal. Too bad he wasn’t a Decepticon.

It’s also funny... I guess in the first or second movies Chevy made car advertisements promoting the movie. You’d think there’d be more of that with the transformers live action movies considering the various car brands the movie uses.

So it’s funny when you see car companies like Nissan doing car commercials in association with Star Wars to promote the latest Star Wars movies.

I’d seen those commercials, I chuckled a bit seeing how out of place the ad is. Unless the rebel alliance or the empire used nissan vehicles. I know the ads were about dreams, but still.... which got me to ask, as mentioned, why bay did not use Nissans or any other regular vehicles as a way for promoting the movie.

Anyway, it was interesting because if there was a franchise fit to work perfectly with any car company & make TV ads to promote their movies, that would be Transformers. Which sadly we have never gotten a lot of. You’d think there’d be TV spots from hummer or GMC or Mercedes Benz, not just Chevy. Because that would’ve been a great way to promote the movie.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Paramount is my biggest worry in the whole thing. There have only been a handful of Paramount movies in the past few years that could exceed their production budget at the domestic box office so it seems like a studio that is pretty clueless on what people want. In a strange way it's almost like Paramount doesn't really care if their movies are going to be something people will actually enjoy.

6. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My god there is so much wrong here. Please do your homework next time.

ROTF release time, there were huge waitlists on ordering Camaros. You couldn't buy Ratchet's search and rescue Hummer either because its too custom.

Transformers as toyotas, nissans, subarus, and other "regular" cars???? Yuck!! Also, they are "regular" cars. Did you not watch the films??

I guess you've never seen the TONS of Chevrolet transformers tv ads and promotional videos that corresponded to every film release minus The Last Knight.

There were Transformers Hummer and GMC ads. Also Pontiac and Buick too. All great ads and great ways to promote the movie. Did you also forget the Transform your summer GM sale in July of 2007?? The two (one, two) Transformers special edition Camaro packages?? Even the Spark got a Transformers special edition package.

Mercedes wasn't going to ads because they asked Bay to not make their vehicles villains but whoops, one slipped ;) 

7. iuJacob

iuJacob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Limitations breed creativity, especially time and monetary limitations.

Bring it on. Let’s see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout War Dog

Well, no you couldn't buy an EMERGENCY RESPONSE VEHICLE, that'd be stupid.

But you also seem to have completely missed how there was an Ironhide spec version released commercially of the Topkick. Funny how that didn't sell as well.
    Funny, I don't remember Volkswagen, Bugatti (subdivision of VW), Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pagini, and whatever the hell that concept car was that didn't actually appear in TF5 being part of GM.

Maybe because THEY AREN'T.

And in what universe is that abomination that Stinger was even considered a "regular" car, given it is a one-off Pagini prototype in real life that isn't even street legal?

Also, you apparently never learned of the Alternators line, which were (and in some cases still are) highly prized (if somewhat aged in engineering by now) versions of Transformers as real life vehicles in the mid-2000s. Hound as a Jeep Wrangler, Mirage as a Ford GT, Ravage as a Jaguar XK, and Rumble as a Honda Civic, just to name some examples.

Oh, and Top Gear tried to destroy a 1984 Toyota Helix by doing all sorts of extreme actions against it that would fucking destroy any of those precious pretty-boy supercars. They failed. That, in my book, is way cooler than some stupid expensive boy toy prancing around and not being in any worthwhile action scenes because the film crews can't risk damaging something that they can't even buy on the movie budget. Yeah, let's see Lockdown drive down some stairs in alt mode OH WAIT HE CAN'T BECAUSE THE CAR'S SUSPENSION IS TOO LOW.

Okay...so how about the ads for literally any other character that isn't made by Chevy? You know, pretty much ANYBODY STILL ALIVE WHO IS NOT FUCKING BUBMBLEBEE? Or Crosshairs, because I'm pretty sure his alt. mode base isn't actually available to the average consumer.

Pontiac is gone.

And that Buick wasn't even a character!

• Like Like x 2
  9. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely agree that the run times didn't do anything good.

I think significantly less bot time would probably be a big mistake. Fewer bots with more focus on the ones used at a shorter runtime on the other hand ought to be an across the board improvement in every way. We'll see.

10. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    I own all films via streaming. I’m aware that the camaro became quite a popular car after the 2007 movie which was why I mentioned why it easily clicked with regular audiences. I also mentioned the other car brands but the more common, regular ones were a staple of the Autobots. Except barricade, you never see any other con until TLK adopt regular alt modes. RoTF had the constructicons but that was a wasted opportunity since they were just there to revive megatron and form a quite useless devastator.

Aside from Chevy?

They were from the 2007 movie which was a financial success and the general consensus was it was a decent to good movie. That was how big and common Transformers was in 2007. What happened between then and TLK?

As autobot burnout pointed out, the biggest issue with bay having used high-end cars was they had to be forced to be more careful with handling these cars. That is why we rarely saw any stunts with a Mercedes Benz or a Lamborghini or a Bugatti. They were too cautious not to damage it.

Would’ve made for a really awesome scene if they were allowed. But that’s part of the allure of regular cars as they would not have had that limitation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.Just no.

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Ya I'm with the guys who say they should ditch the high-end cars. How much did they spend for Drift's Veyron mode for AoE? Personally I prefer the more common cars over these overly modified West Coast Customs cars they have been using the last couple of films.