New Laptop

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by skywarp, Feb 18, 2010.

1. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Well to make a long story short my wife broke her laptop and is using my very old PowerBook G4. It is fine, just not fast enough for things like hulu and the CD drive is dead.

Which brings me to my question, I currently use a brand Macbook, it is the last generation but other than a case change is the same. I was debating about giving that to her and getting my self a pc laptop instead of a new Mac. Since every one is saying how cheap they are. I already own a legal copy of 7 so the OS is not a problem. I just need it to be equal or better than my Macbook but cheaper.

Specs of my Macbook
    2.13 core 2 duo
    Nvdia 9400M
    2 gigs of RAM
    320 Gig HD

I know nothing special, but for gaming and video work I want a good video card. The screen 13 in is fine with me. I would also like to stay intel, so I can still use OS 10 on it. But that is not required.

Thanks for the help.

2. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

Just take a look around newegg.com or best buy and you'll notice that you can find a pc laptop with awesome specs for half the price of a mac. After using both I still don't know why people choose mac over pc aside from "all the cool people use macs".

3. skywarp

I looked around newegg and tiger direct but did not see anything at near half the price. Please send me links if you found one. Thanks

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude, spend the money on a mac... its so much better... i will never go back to PC again... especially if you want a decent PC, you upgrade it enough and you're at the cost of most macs anyway...

and since you've been using it, you'll be familiar with it... and if price is an issue, search apple.com for refurbished... you might find a good deal there...

and i don't think "all the cool people" use macs... i see tons of people using them, all shapes sizes and intelligences... macs are just easier to use, and result in far less headaches... at least that's how its been for me...

5. skywarp

I agree with you there. I would say I have a little knowledge of them, I actually hold several Apple certs. But I do not want a Mac vs pc debate. I am just always being told that pcs are cheaper and even half the price of a Mac.

Besides I was hopping to get a nice machine for gaming and to possibly convert to a hackntosh down the line.

I am still open to ideas, and I am interested in getting a nice pc to use for gamming. Although my gaming is Unreal tor the orginal and Star Trek online. Both play fine on my mac under windows, but I was hopping for something a little faster for Daiblo 3 and star scraft 3.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I just got a new laptop myself; an Acer Aspire 7540. I love it. It runs all my music & gfx software flawlessly.

7. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just picked up a Dell Studio XPS 8160. Man this thing crushes games. I love it!

8. skywarp

Thanks I looked at both machines.

The acer has a bad reliablty rating, and a video card no where near the power of what I have.

The dell seems to be equal stats and roughly the same price. Not really the half the price I am looking for.

Thanks for the comments though.

9. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I've been looking at the Asus UL30VT-X1 for a new laptop. Not sure if it completely matches what you want, but you might look at it.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my laptop is a Toshiba satellite with a 17" screen. have had it since August. i got it for about 5 C-Notes. was originally $800.
    not a single glitch or problem with it.

the only minor complaint is the speakers/sound card. they are a bit on the weak side imo. with headphones on in a waffle house, the noise was overpowering my headphones. odd but true.

(which with newer models should be fixed or upgraded)

it's performance for everything else i do is incredible.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well for christmas we got my mom a new Toshiba Satellite Series laptop.. think it was a widescreen one (has the number pad next to the keyboard). So I got her old Toshiba (5 years old or so) and had been using it since it was on its last legs. The HD is failing and lets you know by whining all the time.

Well we heard about a "liquidation sale" at the local civic center with deals on computers and laptops and such.. WRONG!! We get there and there is one laptop for $100 and it is older than my moms old one and all the other ones cost $300+ and are several years old. My dad and I went to Best Buy and Walmart.

Got a Toshiba Satellite series L455D for a little over $400 (including tax) at Walmart. It is nice to have a laptop for school that is not on its deathbed. New laptop has:

AMD Sempron
    2GB DDR Ram
    250GB HDD
    15.6" screen

This is an early birthday/graduation present.

12. skywarp

I apperiate your responses, but the biggest thing to me is the video card. Most of the machines listed have the same processor as I have with my macbook. Although I have nothing good about the toshbias and how long they last. I have been looking at several with them having nvidia 9400m, 130 GT. Or they have the ATI 5000 or something like that.

Any one no which video card to look for?

13. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Really? The Asus UL30Vt-X1 and UL30Vt-A1 both have a NVidia G210M with 512MB DDR3. Looking at the specs, that seems to be much better than what you've got.

14. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    They are. The Nvidia series cards (desktop and mobile versions) have started back over at the "twos" or the two hundred series. An Nvidia 295 GTX is better than say an Nvidia 8800 GTX.

Just FYI.

15. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you have a Big Lots near you. Some stores have these for $399. If you join their Buzz club you get 20% off.

Forget the 20% off. But here is the ad from Big Lots.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  16. skywarp

Thanks I looked up both asus machines they both have 1.3 gig core 2 dous. Do they use a differnt type of core 2 dou than Apple or am I missing something?

17. skywarp

Thanks for the heads up about big lots. But that gateways video cards is quite old and much slow than a dedicated card. I really apperiate the help on this one.

18. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I'm fairly sure that they are the same, but Asus is using the 1.3 to keep power consumption low. I don't see it as a problem for gaming, as most of your power should be provided by the GPU anyway. It could be an issue for multitasking though, if you like to run a lot of software at the same time.

19. skywarp

I do a decent amount of multi tasking. I am not sure about the speed going from a 2.16 to 1.3 seems odd. But I will see if any local stores have one I could try out. Thanks