New KOF XII trailer...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Enigma2K2, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks awesome. I've survived ok with just a PS2 so far, but now I'll have to upgrade for this game! So is Iori totally out? I know Ash took his powers from the last game...

3. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I though I read somewhere that Iori was in, but with some changes to his fighting style, but for the life of me I can't remember where that was so feel free to take it with a grain of salt for now.

4. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    The fact that Street Fighter IV gets more attention than this game on this board makes me really sad.

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

it's always going to be that way I think. Street fighter is a household name, but king of fighters never really seemed to hit it big in north america. Sure, you could find it in arcades sometimes, but snk never really published the games over here (at least not with much success). You could find street fighter pretty easily on the snes, and then again with the psx/saturn with the collections release an the vs games, but kof 95 was the only psx title I ever saw over here up until kof evo, but that was about it.

I love kof, but it's become more of a cult following I think than street fighter. The games don't recieve much hype when they are released, and even when they come out they don't seem to be released very broadly. I remember last year I was so happy to find battle coliseum in the cheap games bin and then a month or 2 later I found xi as well. I would have paid full price for xi for sure, but I never once saw it hit the shelves other than in the cheap bin.

Unfortunately kof is just the dr. pepper of the fighting game genre. It has it's followers, and it's a great unique product, but it's just not as popular.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That looks amazing!

I agree. The character update was done for a reason.

There's been way more info to discuss about Street Fighter 4.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Oh my God, that looks hot. I hope it hits 360 on U.S. shores. I used to be a huuuuuuge KOF fan, I own all of them from '95-'03 between PSX/Saturn/DC/PS2/XB. I love, love this series.

8. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Can't wait to get my hands on it. I want an arcade setup at my house so I can play it asap.

9. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Well I'm glad that they finally redid the sprites. As much as I love the KOF series, some of the last installments were just painful to look at simply due to how old the characters looked. Especially compared to some of the gorgeous and modern backgrounds.

But where's the girls? I only saw a few in that video. Leona, that bitch, Ash and Benimaru (yes, there's at least a few jokes in that statement). I want my Mai! KoF isn't complete without Mai Shiranui! It's like if Capcom didn't have Chun-Li in SF!

SF has to have Ken, Ryu and Chun-Li.
    KoF has to have Terry, Iori or Kyo (I suppose Kyo takes prescedent considering he's the technical hero of the series) and Mai Shiranui.

The only reason that purple haired twit is included is so that everyone can have fun beating on a female without feeling guilty.

;) 

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:

I'm guessing there are several more classic characters that will be revealed later. KOF games always have impressive rosters, if anything.

But as long as Ralf, Ryo and Robert are around, I'm happy!

(Hey, where's Chizuru Kagura?)

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I like Samurai Showdown far more than KoF.

12. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    Which one?

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I mean the series as a whole.

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

oooh HD2D. i wish all games were handdrawn.

15. Transfotaku

True. But part of my bewilderment lies in the fact that they didn't have Mai in one of the arcade versions, and a ton of fans went shouting, "WHERE THE HELL IS MAI?" and "I'll kill you if you don't give me Mai!" in Japan. So, you'd think that Mai would be in the first trailer just so they don't get even a partial repeat of that.

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yeah, I keep forgetting that Mai wasn't in the arcade version of KOF XI.

Mai's finest appearance to me was in the Capcom Vs SNK games. I really have to credit Capcom Vs SNK 1 with getting me interested in the KOF series back in 2000. That's the year I bought KOF 98 (Dream Match) for DC and KOF 99 right after that in early 2001, and then went back and bought the old ones for my older systems. At that time, my SNK experience was limited to Fatal Fury for Genesis.

17. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

The game is looking good. The big question is whether or not it'll hit the 360 over here or if I'll be forced to buy a PS3. That'll leave me set in case it's only released on the PS3 in Japan.

And now I've got the urge to throw a KOF game into the Neo (but I have to be up in 6 hours to get ready for work).

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    My god. T_T Its so beautiful i'm crying. I know a couple of guys who will go nuts with this trailer. If this game is released only for ps3/wii and those new consoles then i'm in trouble, i cant afford those now. D8

19. Transfotaku

SNK is pretty good about putting their games to as many consoles as possible. Even when they were selling their own consoles, they still ported to others. I'm sure it'll be on te 360. Especially now that the 360 beat PS3 in sales in Japan.

20. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

Not exactly true. SNK Playmore puts out what games they can over here. In the last couple years, we've really seen a "boom" in regards to SNKP releases here. The PSP, PS2, and Wii have all seen several releases and will see more (Samurai Shodown Anthology, KOF Orochi Saga Collection will be on those three... by years end???). If the PS2 is capable of handling KOF XII, I'd imagine we'll get a PS2 port. I'm actually thinking the Wii would be more likely to get the game over here.

In the past, Sony was not easy to deal with, so SNKP's releases were not necessarily as frequent or numerous as they company would have liked. We didn't get game releases anytime soon after they were released in Japan. Sony had issues with SNK games being released individually in some cases or at all since it was 2-D stuff. Sony's loosened up quite a bit in the last couple years, so we've finally seen more games come out, but we ended up waiting anywhere from 6 months to over a year to get some of them (Art of Fighting Anthology came out in Japan in 2006, KOF NeoWave hit the PS2 in 2005, Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 was just released again in Japan as a sort of "Greatest Hits" version).

I'd love to see some 360 ports, but I don't see them doing that in Japan. If SNK Playmore Asia (or Japan, whichever they go by) says "no" to 360 ports for Japan/Asia, then I don't think SNK Playmore USA can make them for us.