New "Knight Riders" Series in the Works

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ViperDragon, Sep 27, 2007.

1. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=37731

Doug Liman Producing New Knight Rider Series
    Source: Variety
    September 27, 2007

NBC is bringing back "Knight Rider," hiring Doug Liman (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, The Bourne Identity) to produce a Transformers-inspired reworking of the 1980s hit action-drama series about a man and his indestructible supercar.

Variety says the network is developing a two-hour pilot for the project, with tentative plans to air it as a telepic later this season. Liman is open to the idea of directing, assuming his feature schedule allows. If the telepic clicks, a new-model "Knight Rider" could be on the air as early as next fall.

Dave Andron ("Raines") is writing the pilot script and will serve as supervising producer alongside executive producers Liman and Dave Bartis ("The O.C.," "Heist") for Universal Media Studios and Dutch Oven Productions.

The trade says the success of Transformers had a role in inspiring NBC Entertainment chief Ben Silverman's decision to revive "Knight." The thinking is that small screen f/x have advanced to the point where it'd be feasible to have a weekly series in which cars shift shapes.

It's also likely the new show will explore the idea of "evil" cars to offset the heroic talking K.I.T.T. car of the original series, which starred David Hasselhoff. That said, the series is expected to essentially remain focused on the story of a single man fighting for justice with the help of his superadvanced car.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go Transformers and thanks! They tried this once back in the early 90's that never happened and then came "Team Knight Rider". I did watch it but missed the old series. They had the "Viper" show that could have been the next Knight Rider but the car never talked. I love Dodge Vipers so I did enjoy the show. Here's to hoping for a thumbs-up return!

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Ah ya beat me too it! I have another link though:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972829.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

I guess this cans the feature film version Hasselhoff was working on?

Knight Rider is a great sci-fi action premise and can be really cool if reimagined well, like TF. I have my doubts, but I'll give it a chance. I see loads of bad CG and more trying-too-hard-to-be-dark acting.

Hopefully William Daniels will provide the voice, but I severely doubt it.

I wonder how they will pull off a modern KITT, most of his gadgets which were fantasy magic in 1982 are now commonplace, like satellite uplinks, in-dash GPS, vocal synthesizers, wireless phone, voice commands, computer interfaces, etc.

It was only a matter of time, after the remakes of Galactica and Bionic Woman. I was a huge fan of the original, fingers crossed on this one!!

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Awesome, I would love the KIT to be back

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
  5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    KARR!!!!! :thumb 
    Hasselhoff has to make a cameo.

6. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Cullen must provide the voice of KARR if they want evil clones to battle KITT.

7. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why would they need the cars to 'shift shapes'?

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well on the last season kit had some kind of hyper super pursuit mode where he had extra/wing-speed oriented parts pop out of him.

9. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I thought the same thing too.If i remember right,KITT never changed....or anything on the show for that matter.

10. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Sounds similar to the show "Viper". where the badguy gets memory loss and drives a shape shifting Dodge Viper. But the shape shifting was limited to diffrent colors and gadgets poping out. Was a good show. but got cheesy fast!

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  12. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The title of this thread says "Knight RiderS", plural, making me dread another "Team Knight Rider" series. Relieved that is not the case.

I'll probably check this new show out, though the idea of KITT being a "Transformer" intrigues me in both good and bad ways.

13. ViperDragon

Yeah, I screwed up and accidentally stuck an "s" at the end. Can a MOD change that for me? Thanks!

I love that 2008 Fall poster! Fan-made?

14. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So it sounds like KITT will be alive in this version (as opposed to a human built A.I.) and fighting others of his "race"? That has potential to be good, we'll see. And I'm sure the transforming will be more like what Viper had in it; morphing weapons, color change, auto-hardtop, etc.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

How about nooooo...

Bionic Woman is terrible so far so what really makes them think Knight Rider would work?

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I thought the same thing. Team Knight Rider was awful -it didn't matter how many hot chicks were in it.

Does anyone here remember how in the first season of Knight Rider the turbo boost just made KITT go fast?
    If there was a ramp, they would activate the turbo which helped them jump.

Then as the seasons went on, the turbo somehow enabled KITT to jump without a ramp.

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Actually in the pilot Kitt jumped over a semi truck with out a ramp using turbo boost.

18. ViperDragon

My favorite episodes of Knight Rider were KARR and Goliath. I also vaguely remember an old 57-like Chevy that had missile launchers on the hood that destroyed KITT (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I loved to see some bad guys that were other vehicles! Hopefully this new series will have plenty of 'bad' vehicles in it!

19. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I would TOTALLY watch it.

Especially if they spin off the Knight Rider Movie hasselhoff was in, when Kitt was dismantled, and first turned into the 57 chev, then the firebird, if they spin off that, after they take KITT's CPU outta that red firebird.... Im a fan.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

up next, three's company 2007!

no one writes new tv shows anymore.....

its either reality or remake, same goes for movies too though