new kitten trouble

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by metrotitan, Jul 4, 2010.

1. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got a new kitten today. My other cat is really upset. I'm keeping them separated and everything until they adjust to each others' scents, etc., but my cat just keeps hissing and throwing up. I've heard that is normal and that he'll probably just get over it, but its kind of upsetting to see him like this. Anyone else have any experience with this that they could share? I need some reassurance at the moment. :( 

2. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gone because someone had their cat declawed. Grr.

I live with a large number of cats and introduced a new kitten to them last year.

To begin with, they refused to go near her and wouldn't even sit in the same room. They still hiss and fight occasionally, but they accept each other and even eat and sleep together, sometimes washing each other though the kitten tries to dominate the older bigger cats. Don't worry - they'll get used to each other.

3. metrotitan

News Credits:
    thanks.....that makes me feel a little better. I just hope my current cat doesn't get super depressed or something. I think he'll be ok, though.

4. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    It only took a week for my cat to adjust to the new one. The hissing I've heard plenty of, but the only time any of my cats have thrown up is when they eat grass..

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I had the same thing without kitten two years ago. We just took her for a haircut and she looks like a different cat and now my other cat started hissing again and wouldn't let her leave the corner of the room

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Our two adult cats, Apollo and Sylvester, weren't happy when we brought in our kitten, Coony, last year. The adult cats mostly hissed and batted at Coony, but that was it. They still pick at each other, but for the most part they get along just fine.

7. red4

red4 Banned

It's just a good thing your new cat isn't named Ivan, or I would've been worried about Apollo.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    when i got a second cat, they adoption center said to keep them seperate for days. well that was hard for us to do so right when we got the new cat home we just put her right with the other cat.

the got use to each other real quick. at night though my girlfriend slept with the new cat in the bedroom and i slept in the rest of the apt. with the old cat because you never want the older or first cat to feel like they have less space. we also did this if they started to get sick of each other, give them a break.

after doing that for about a week they were playing and cleaning each other. they are best buds now. but doesnt mean the same for you. we have a dog now too and the first cat doesnt mind it and tolerates her but would rather steer clear.

9. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Happened with my cats aswell, they will eventually get over it but It takes some time, and don't worry if they start rolling around on the floor wrestling eachother, they are playing :) 

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It happened to us last year when we introduced an new kitten. He hissed and swatted for about 3 days but now they are all best buds.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You could try feliway (feli-away? I dunno), which supposedly prevents cats from smelling the territory smells of other cats or something, calming them down so they more easily interact with eachother. Or so I've heard, but some people swear by it.

12. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    :lolol 

13. metrotitan

News Credits:
    thanks guys. its really great to get some reassurance. as long as I have some hope that they'll eventually be buds, that's all I could ask for. I just hate having my old guy so upset (my wife is actually crying because he won't come near her any more). I think he's just throwing a fit and he'll hopefully get over it once he adjusts. Keeping my eyes focused on the light at the end of the tunnel (its harder than I thought it would be). :) 

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    that pretty much perfectly normal ticked off cat behavior and if your kitten says "I will Break you" its not ready to be with your other cats yet!

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Well, you're doing right so far. Even tho its upsetting, stick with it and BE PATIENT. And, more importantly, pay more attention to the older cat than the kitten so the older cat doesn't feel his position is being usurped by this snot-nosed little intruder. Kittens adjust rapidly so there's no need to worry that you'll be 'ignoring' the kitten, and by paying more attention to the older one he won't feel as threatened and be inclined to take it out on the kitten.

Overall, BE PATIENT.

--Moony

16. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

YouTube - Kitten wearing a hat gets slapped by bigger cat

Also. They will be fine. Cats dont like other cats trespassing on there turf yooooooooo LOL im kidding with the Yoo thing...

Just keep them sep. if u can in diff. rooms...

17. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
  18. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Your cat is being a drama king. Cats vomit at the drop of a hat. Carnivores have short digestive systems and it really isn't as bad for them to drop the excess food weight when stressed.

Cats pretty much know the difference between humans and other cats. They are often more territorial with new cats than new humans. Keep paying attention to and making nice with the old one, and do the usual acclimation stuff with the kitten. Your current will get used to the new arrival.

- Coeloptera

19. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Are they both the same sex? I know when we were thinking of getting another dog, the vet told us that another male would fit in quicker than a another female, since the females would always be seeing who was the alpha female. Its funny, I'm the only one my female husky is submisive to. She is bitchy with my wife, and brooks no bullsh*t from my kids :lol .
    Point is the older cat will be a drama queen, until the pecking order gets hammered out.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Old cat - "F**k you , this is MY house"

kitten- " :confused: "