New KISS album

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a person, Jul 3, 2012.

1. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    The album is titled 'Monster' and is due for a release on October 15. Anyone else looking forward to it?

KISS: Hell or Hallelujah

I loved their last album. This one should be good too!

2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Ow. This looks good.:p 

3. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I like it, I guess.

Kiss have kinda always "sucked", and this doesn't change my mind. I'm also more a fan of something heavier. But looks pretty decent none the less.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I downloaded the single last night - it sounds pretty good, I have to say. Then again, as a KISS fan for over 20 years - I'm always happy to get more KISS music. I'm interested to hear how Monster does, in comparison to Sonic Boom.

"Hell or Hallelujah" is pretty representative of the sound they've chosen to stick with since Psycho Circus - attempting to regain the magic of the classic albums from the 1974 - 1977 era when they were really at their peak. In some instances, they do come close, but there's just no going back, unfortunately. Still, for me, I enjoy KISS at their best and their worst (as my love for 1980's Unmasked and 1981's Music From The Elder can illustrate) and can't wait to see them live again - because no matter what, KISS can still put on the kind of show that melts your face off.

All hail the kings of rock and roll.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember how popular KISS was back in the late 1970's when I was a kid. I remember buying the "KISS Alive" album when I was 12 yrs-old and my dad did'nt like it.

I still have the album today.

But back in 1977, KISS had a concert in Mobile,AL and my dad would'nt let me go.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Still got it lads :D 

7. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

A new album, By KISS?
    Preposterous.

8. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Give the songs 'Unholy' and 'Thou Shalt Not' a listen. Revenge is a very heavy album, especially for KISS.

They released their most recent album in 2009.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Revenge is my favorite KISS album

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You're not going back far enough.

"She", "100,000 Years", "Black Diamond", "Deuce", "Cold Gin", "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll" - all are much better examples of a heavy, primal KISS. Revenge was a good album for its time, coming as it did amidst the rise of grunge - but it just doesn't hold a candle to the pre-KISS Alive! era, when instead of being a band trying to grasp and hold on to what fame they had left, they were young and hungry and willing to do anything to make it. Give a listen to any of the first three albums and you'll hear songs that dominate the set lists of today. For example, when I saw them in Houston in 2010, 5 out of the 22 songs they played were from the first album alone.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Man I'm just glad the boys are still slapping on the make up and strapping on the platforms to play. I remember just watching on DVD the KISS Alive IV - Symphony...fucking amazing show, and Black Diamond with that backing is incredible to say nothing of the 11 o'clock number that is......

KISS - Rock`n Roll All Nite - Symphony Alive

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    That is one awesome clip right there. How strange to see the band with Peter and no Ace...I had forgotten Ace didn't play that tour.

Man, do I miss Peter...he was probably the least skilled of all the KISS drummers, but I always enjoyed this:

KISS - Hooligan (Houston, 1977

And one of my favorite all-time KISS songs:

KISS - All The Way (live)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard the new single yesterday and... I like it. A lot! They seem to be getting better with age.

14. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    It's in my top 5.

They're good songs, but Revenge is a much heavier album.

Those songs dominate the set lists because they're well known to casual fans. KISS has been playing the same songs over and over for years. They should shake things up a bit.

My thoughts exactly!

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    OK, let's contrast and compare:

KISS

1. "Strutter"
    2. "Nothin' to Lose"
    3. "Firehouse"
    4. "Cold Gin"
    5. "Let Me Know"
    6. "Kissin' Time"
    7. "Deuce"
    8. "Love Theme From KISS"
    9. "100,000 Years"
    10. "Black Diamond

Revenge

1. "Unholy"
    2. "Take It Off"
    3. "Tough Love"
    4. "Spit"
    5. "God Gave Rock 'N' Roll to You II"
    6. "Domino"
    7. "Heart of Chrome"
    8. "Thou Shalt Not"
    9. "Every Time I Look at You"
    10. "Paralyzed"
    11. "I Just Wanna"
    12. ""Carr Jam 1981"

You know what - I haven't looked at Revenge's track listing for a while, and there are some good tracks in there that I haven't heard in a while, but after taking a good listen to them again, I'm going to say the two albums are about the same - the heaviest tunes on Revenge are "Unholy", "Thou Shalt Not", and maybe "Paralyzed"; in contrast, on KISS, you have "Black Diamond", "Deuce", and "100,000 Years". The rest of the songs aren't really what I would call heavy. I think Revenge takes a slight hit on "Every Time I Look At You", which was the requisite power ballad for a rock album of the times; but at the same time KISS is equally handicapped by "Kissin' Time" (the promotional song for the country-wide "KISSing contests" sponsored by Casablanca Records). The song is nothing more than silly pop, really. Both albums feature an instrumental ("Love Theme from KISS" - the retitled "Acrobat" from Wicked Lester vs. "Carr Jam 1981" - the tribute to the late, great Eric Carr (incidentally, Ace Frehley and Eric recorded this song as "Breakout" on the Frehley's Comet Second Sighting album)). The rest of the songs I'd classify as "KISS songs", heavy rock themed after sex and rock and roll. Standouts from both albums would include "Cold Gin", "Strutter", and "Nothin' To Lose" on KISS, and "Spit", "Domino", and the Eddie Cochrane tribute "I Just Wanna" on Revenge.

So, I'll call it even there.

Well, I'd say that KISS knows what people come to hear. Paul Stanley once said he could write an amazing new song and people would still shrug and say "That's great, now play 'Love Gun'". And it's true - most of the casual fans go to hear things like "Lick It Up", "Heavens On Fire", "Shout It Out Loud", "Detroit Rock City", and a few others. But KISS has always shown an ability to dust off lost classics they haven't played in years - for example, the first KISS concert I saw in 1990 opened up with "I Stole Your Love", which hadn't been used since 1977, and also featured the return of "I Was Made For Loving You". The next tour, they trotted out "Watchin' You" and "Parasite" from Hotter Than Hell (there's some heavy songs for you, right there!). And the Unplugged convention tour and show featured all kinds of stuff. At the conventions, they took requests from the audience and did their best - in my own experience in Miami, I saw them attempt and fail a few songs - most notably "Just A Boy" from "Music From 'The Elder'" and "Larger Than Life" from Alive II. I think those conventions really drove home to them how much older fans and hardcore fans really appreciate the lost gems buried in the catalog. So, don't expect them to shake up the setlist and play Asylum or Unmasked in their entirety - people aren't going to pay to see that. But I feel safe in saying that KISS will unearth one or two things everyone but the hardest of the hardcore have forgotten about and unleash it.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wonder if my friend on xbox live likes the news of this.

17. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

As much as I liked Sonic Boom, if the rest of the album sounds like Hell or Hallelujah, we're in for a treat. The drums sound almost as heavy as they did on Revenge and the guitars sound a little less muffed than they did on Sonic Boom. I'm seeing KISS and Motley Crue on opening night of The Tour in Washington DC. So stoked. 3rd time seeing KISS, 1st time seeing Crue.

+1 for the "I think Revenge is their best album" crowd.

18. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    "You crazy kids and your danged devil music!"? :p 

19. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I really liked Sonic Boom. It finally sold me on Tommy Thayer. I do think Gene's lyrics were pretty trite and ridiculous throughout the album (the guy is going to be singing about having one night stands in bathroom stalls or hotels with school girls well into his 70s and makes no apologies about it), but the songs were still enjoyable and the guitar riffs were excellent.

Is Paul Stanley the producer on Monster as well? He did an excellent job on Sonic Boom.

20. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's being produced by Paul Stanley and co-produced by Greg Collins.