New Justice League revealed

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switchblade, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'm a big JLA fan, so announcements like this get me fairly excited. The roster for James Robinson's run on justice League of America will be...

The New Teen Titans? :sly2: 

[​IMG]

Dick Grayson, Starfire, Donna Troy, and Cyborg. Only two characters away from the most classic Titans line-up. Now, I'm cool with some of these guys graduating to the big League - totally overdue for Cyborg and Starfire, if no one else. But this many at once is pretty strange (also, when we saw the blacked-out version of this cover I'd started hoping the one that turned out to be Starfire was Fire - I miss having her on the team).

Beyond that we've got Green Arrow, the Atom, and Hal effing Jordan representing the old Satellite era JLA. I like Ollie and can live with Ray, but I really want Kyle back on the JLA; he needs to be in a book with better exposure than GLC.

And that leaves Congorilla, Mon-El, Dr. Light, and the Guardian (non-Morrison version). Congorilla steals every scene he's in in Cry for Justice, so I'm definitely up for more of him. Never cared much for the other three.

So all in all, I'm not hugely impressed by this roster. I don't think anyone here really doesn't belong on the JLA (well, maybe Hal, but I'm just getting sick of that jerk being everywhere in the DCU these days), but it isn't the line-up I'd have picked if given the chance. Still, it's James "Starman" Robinson and Mark Bagley, so I think they might be able to pull this off. Besides, nobody expected a Justice League made up of Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Mister Miracle, and Guy Gardner to be very interesting, either, and that was one of the most popular (and I would argue best) runs the League has ever had.

2. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Woooow. I was just talking about how Cyborg, Starfire and Dick Grayson-Batman needed to be in the League, although I was kinda hoping for a bit more playing off Supes and WW. And I wonder if Mon-El is there because of the legal crap DC is having to wade through with the Siegels. And dammit, where's Flash--any kind of Flash?

Overall, this could be interesting. Or crappy. Depends largely on Robinson.

3. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Superman has been kicked off of Earth. Something from his solo titles that I don't quite understand since I don't follow them. Not entirely sure why Wonder Woman and Flash are absent.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that DC is supposedly going to launch a second Justice League title as a kind of training League headed up by Vixen.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    hmm...i'm interested, but not sold on it...i like Mon-el, and dickbats, but where is supergirl? she's the only character that's part of cry for justice that i don't see here...which seems weird, but i guess its probably due to the whole kryptonians being banned from earth...

i'll probably pick this up, cuz i miss the JLA, but i really hope its good...and i heard they were splitting the JLA into two teams as well, but if the other one is a training book headed up by Vixen, i probably wont even bother...

as for the teen titans being the JLA, i'm kinda fine with that, its allowing them to evolve and fill the roles they were designed for...and i love Hal, but i think another GL woulda been a better choice...

5. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Everyone on earth hates Kryptonians, and their presense on Earth has been banned (Including Superman now) so I think that explains Supergirl's absense. Plus, she is right now framed for Mon El's death. Supergirl overall has gotten alot of hate from the Earthlings.

6. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    There's also Freddy Freeman (I'm not even sure what his superhero name is now) and Mikaal Tomas (Starman II). Freddy would just be another Superman, so I can understand leaving him out, Mikaal would've been interesting though.

I have no problems with the lineup, but "Cry For Justice" really makes me skeptical of what Robinson would do with the main JLA book.

7. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I don't mean to be dumb, but what does the non-morrison version of Guardian mean? Is Jim Harper not the Guardian in this JLA?

I'm okay for this being the JLA for a short time, but (speaking of Morrison) I really think the Big 7 (+ whoever) is really the best version.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Sooooo, basically "Justice League:Initiative".

9. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This looks ok, but it feels more like Green Lantern and Green Arrow showed up late for Thanksgiving and wound up sitting at the kiddie table. Call me when the grown ups come back.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    That's how I feel. I have felt gyped by the current JLA title since issue 7 when everyone left. Don't get me wrong, the current team has Firestorm and Plastic Man which are awesome but without Superman ,batman, and Wonder Woman (who also finally showed up), it sucks.

Personally I want the JLA like it was when Morrison relaunched it. The big guys. And throw in random other guys here and there for variety, but keep the core together.

11. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i need to reread my superman stuff...i totally forgot about that and that story just started up...but i may also be a few issues behind...

12. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I like Dwayne McDuffie's thoughts on League membership, it's a shame he never got a chance to DO it:

It's sorta like the expanded roster that Morrison/Waid used in JLA, which I really enjoyed.

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Why does Dinah always get such short shrift?

I'm with the "kids' table" interpretation so far.

I get JLA and have been trying to get Cry for Justice, but I haven't gotten to the store for a bit.

- Coeloptera

14. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I agree, that's the way it should be done. Hopefully when New Krypton is wrapped up, Bruce Wayne returns, and J'onn and Aquaman are resurrected that he can actually proceed with those plans.

15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I mean the original Kirby Guardian, not the Manhattan Guardian guy Morrison invented for his Seven Soldiers thing.

16. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah...Meltzers run was really good, then McDuffie came in and i dropped it...Robinson at least has me interested.

17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Hal haters, ugh...

I'm not too big on this League either. Titans League just doesn't do it for me, but Hal and Ollie are in so I'm there.

18. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

All I really took away from this thread is "Dickbats."

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My main problems:
    - At 11 people, the team is too big (IMO), unless they're going to rotate the cast. I'd drop Guardian and Starfire, definitely. The former wouldn't seem to be much use on a team that already has Batman and the latter doesn't seem to contribute anything (in terms of powers) that isn't covered by Donna Troy and/or Dr. Light.
    - No speedster. Gotta have a speedster in the Justice League. I'd go with Wally, since he probably won't have much to do with Barry around and it would fit the "graduated Titans" theme.
    - From a marketing stand-point, I understand DC putting Hal on the team, since the main GL title is red-hot right now. However, I'd rather see John Stewart here, given that he's woefully underused in GL and could use a place to develop, rather than just cameo appearances in Hal's book.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I gotta agree. While I love Hal in the League, John has the perfect place in JLA. Plus, I really hate how Robinson writes Hal. He only gives Hal-haters more fuel to add to the fire.