New Job!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I've been working at Pizza Hut for almost a year now, doing dishes, prep and delivery. My highest hours were 28 hours in one week, due to various people calling in sick. My average hours are 15 hours a week scheduled, 13 hours is usually what I end up with. Factor in the fact they pay min wage, $7.25 an hour, with the fact my boss over hires to the point that NO ONE gets enough hours to pay the bills.

I've seen people who work there who only get 5 hours a week, well this week he cut me down from 15 hours a week to 6 hours. Why? Because he hired a delivery driver who lied about not having a DUI, when the background check came back lo and behold a DUI. Does he get fired? No. Boss moves him into my position, utilities, so my hours take a nasty slicing all because this scuzzbag lied about not having a DUI and the fact my boss never really fires people. I'm also a bit pissed at my boss because my older cousin, who helped me get this job, found a new job and put in his 2 weeks notice and my boss took him off the schedule immediately.

Well 6 hours doesn't really amount to much of a paycheck at all. In fact it downright sucks ass. Well lucky for me I got on at walmart this week, gonna be doing Overnight Maintenance, 32 or more hours a week and $7.95 an hour. I start my orientation in 1 hour and I'm stoked. I'm tempted to keep both jobs, love the friends I have at Pizza Hut and I don't think it'll be too stressful since my shift is usually 3 hours long there. But I might just quit and have one job, was gonna use Pizza Hut's pay, usually around $150 every 2 weeks, to fund my collection/gaming habits while using my check at wm to cover bills.

I'm glad I found a new job that actually pays the bills but I'm still looking into going to college to get some type of degree. Still yet to figure out what I wanna do with my life.

Just thought I'd share is all. It's a huge amount of stress off my shoulders to know that I'm gonna be making a solid pay check now.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

high five

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new job.

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    That's awesome, congraturation!

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Way to go !

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Congrats on the new job!

7. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Congrats on the new employment. More money for plastic crack is always a good thing.

8. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    I just sold my soul to the KFC/TacoBell combo restaurant over here...

9. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Con rats,man!

10. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Back from orientation. Sadly my friend I met at WM last year when buying ROTF Ravage revealed quit recently. Sucks too we would have both been on the overnight shift so we could have hung out a lot more. Least I'll be getting more hours and better pay than at the Hut.

Thanks for all the congrats, for the next few days I'm still doing CBL (computer based learning) then I start my real job.

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Way to go!!!!!!

12. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome news! Congrats!

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Congrats on the new job and better paycheck, Hasbro will be much happier too!! :lol 

14. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Second day working the floor and I'm hating it. It's not the work I hate, it's how walmart views it's employees. I can tell by looking that most people working there can't work anywhere else, either too old or have mental conditions, the others are just there till they find something better but they are all miserable there. People who have been there 12 years? Miserable. People who have been there 1 month? Miserable. No benefits, no full time and god forbid you get close to 40 hours, doesn't matter if you were late clocking out because you were doing your job, be it cleaning or helping a customer, they will go after you and cut your time for next week. Hell, you can't even get proper sick time or time off for things like injuries or a death in the family. The guy who was training me was crippled working at Walmart by a group of employees running past him and knocking into some equipment and walmart denied covering his medical bills because they claimed he wasn't on the clock. I knew walmart was a bad place to work but I never expected it to be this bad. It's not a bad place to shop but working there is a whole other level.

Working for this hell hole has motivated me, I'm gonna look into getting myself the Degrees and knowledge I need to open my own Geek Store, mostly selling comics and manga/anime and toys/collctibles etc. Just an overall happy and friendly place for geeks to come and shop and hang out. I've even considered making it into a Geek Shop/LAN Center. A place where geeks/nerds can do shopping for all the things that make them happy, from comics to clothes. All while having friendly employees with a friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Sorry for the rant but I'm really disliking walmart.

15. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    MC--Sorry to hear you've already are having the Walmart experience..I didn't want to post anything negative before, but I've heard that a lot from former employees..they were NOT happy campers working there. Sad but true..and you may have heard there's a class action lawsuit for former and current female employees going on right now.. Hang in there as long as you can..until you have your degree or $$ saved up..and good luck :D 

16. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I still have my other job but I'm gonna try to stick to this one as long as I can, least till I find a better job. It's funny how walmart has its own propaganda tapes it shows to new employees to brain wash them into thinking walmart is a wonderful company. I'm gonna be looking all over for a job as a cook, especially at the local bbq places. Now I'm glad my friend quit working at walmart and got a job working at Burger King in his town, he drove 45 minutes on the interstate to work at walmart, I don't wanna drive the 6 miles from my house to work there.

Walmart is a terrible terrible place. Sam Walton is probably rolling over in his grave with what walmarts become since his death.

17. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    ^^^ I won't get political about Walmart's purchasing policies or how they treat their employee's, but you're probably right..Old Sam is probably "rolling back" over and over in his grave :D 

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Dude I totally know how this shit is like.

I've been working at the local Staples for almost a year mostly to supplement my other much better PT job but after feb/march my hours took a huge dive over time from like 25 a week to just 5 everyone's hours were negatively effected so I'm not offended but damn could it come at a worse time I had just got my car as my hours slid into oblivion I can keep up the monthly payments on both car loan and insurance but there's next to nothing left over. Thx to not having the staples gig to depend on.

I had an interview with chase paymenttech for a full time IT position on Tuesday which went decently so wish me luck guys I'm gonna need it

19. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm not surprise about what you said about Walmart. That company went downhill in the last six or seven years. When I used to work there, I was working about 38 hours every week. At that time, if you work the graveyard shift, they paid you 50 cent more an hour and if you work on Sundays, it was time and half. But when I left, there was talk about them stopping the time and half on Sundays.

But ever since I left Walmart back in 2001, I have heard alot bad stories about them.

20. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Now on Sundays you get a $1 extra per hour, not a lot really, time and a half would be better and they don't hire for full time any more. I quit my other job at pizza hut, 2 jobs is too hard when it means no spare time during your days. There's also the fact I got so little time at the hut that it wasn't worth the drive as it barely covered gas money just to make it there and back. Now my boss wants me to turn my uniforms in.

Even with the bad policies and evil managers I'm still gonna be making more money here then pizza hut, bout $500 a check where as pizza hut I made $300 or less in en entire month. After I'm there 90 days I'll get a raise and my 10% discount which will be good. I'm also gonna look into renting a house with my cousin since he's back working at pizza hut.