new interest a problem?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Golden Age, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Will all this newfound interest in Transformers present a problem to the steady fan? Personally I worry about the prices of older toys going up and the merchandise becoming more expensve.

2. Bantor

Bantor Active Member

you see i was a little worried about that to

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am a bit worried about the potential increase in prices.

It's bad enough now with ebay auctions stating "SUPER RARE G1 TRANSFORMER SO HOT AND RARE" with a starting price of $50 and it's like a C3 junker grapple missing all accessories.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

nah, what's going to go up in price, vintage stuff? got what I want. new stuff? nah, they've got specific price points, I'm not worried about that going up.

5. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's highly likely that some ebay sellers will jack up prices to exploit the market, I think it's already happening. There'll possibly be also a greater pool of customers to compete against for the adult collectors stuff since the film may rekindle the interest of more 20-somethings and 30-somethings who used to have transformers in the 80's and early 90's.

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Well, even the reissues are going for alot. It makes me wonder if I should stope collecting until all of the clamor dies down. Of course that wont be for awhile. With the TF movie, and probable sequels coming.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It'll settle down eventually, but since the movie will get a few people nostalgic, there'll probably be more competition in Ebay auctions and the like. But I wouldn't worry too much. If the demand is there, maybe Hasbro will capitalise on it with more reissues.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, for the most part I have to get only the new plactic crack and the few past pieces I missed (like eHobby Astrotrain) are already too expensive for me, so I guess there won't be that much of a change.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Reissues will definitely have a better chance if they start up again. Soundwave will be quite the hot item and hopefully set a trend for more by both Hasbro and Takara.

Vintage stuff will get more pricy. I should methinks ponder selling off some doubles.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    On the more popular items, i think prices are going to go up a little at least for a while. They'll probably tail off somewhat in the long run though. The obvious candidates are the main show characters from the first two seasons.

My personal concern is an increase in people going into toy shops and clearing them out in the hopes of selling them at an inflated price....

(I dont use the 'S' word)

Dear Hasbro.

Ratchet, Ironhide, Trailbreaker, Thrust and Ramjet reissues - hand them over. We know the molds are useable.

11. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

maybe some people will buy into it and later decide to lose interest and sell their stuff for less!

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Two snaps up on those Autobots! My vintage versions of those are C-7 at best.

13. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Right on!!!!

Personally, I have all the older figures that I want. Not worried about the newer stuff. :) 

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Actually, if we're worried about auction prices, new interest isn't the problem. There will be a lot of people who were never into TransFormers, and they're probably not going to get a burning urge to collect vintage toys in most cases. All we really need to worry about is rekindled interest :) 

15. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Likely it will just be the new movie based characters that will get raided. The G1 movie DVD release should had been enough to rekindle nostalgic reactions.

16. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

if the vintage stuff goes up any higher, i'll cry :cry  i want a g1 optimus prime really bad and i was hoping to get one when i get a job(guess i have to wait a year after that) life sucks

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Get an Energon Prime!

18. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

i can take it when people bother me with fatimus prime at normal times, but when it comes to g1 Optimus prime, i will not take crap from yall

19. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

It'll be like a cycle, I think in the short term prices will rise because of the hype and speculation but once the movie excitement dies down prices will go back to "normal".

20. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I think that the real problem could be finding figures at retail and online stores. With the higher demand for movie figures plus any Transformers figures it will get harder to find what we want, especially rare figures, with all the new fans. All of this does depend on how the movie does but hopefully Hasbro will plan on higher demand, but given recent difficulty finding Titaniums, commemorative Soundwave, and wave 2 Classics this could be asking for too much.