New IDW ongoing series

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I've read the new ongoing and I am at issue 8 of RID and I am still confused of what happened and what's going on, should I just read the old ongoing instead?

2. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    You don't need to have read the Ongoing to understand RID, The Death of Optimus Prime is the only thing that might help you understand what's going on in RID, I've only just read Chaos Theory out of the Ongoing and I've been understanding both RID and MTMTE fine.
    And, for the trillion'th time: TFWiki is your friend Transformers Wiki - TFWiki.net

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
  4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

One thing is for certain: he certainly knows how to make threads.

5. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

It sounds like he's referring specifically to RID #8.

And no, you're not supposed to understand everything in RID #8 quite yet. There's almost nothing known about what's happened to Cybertron (outside of New Iacon), so it's a mystery to all of us.

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I'm with Wheeljack in that I just jumped into RID &MTMTE havin read nothing beyond Revelations. Theres stuff in the first tpb I don't get, it feels like a different continuity.
    If that's intended then that's fine, but it would be nice to have some sort of primer for new readers.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    What exactly don't you understand? We're happy to help out. :) 

We're just harder on Wheeljack30 because he has a high tendency to make useless threads, ones that overthink/nitpick small details from the G1 cartoon or ones that are easily answered with a quick trip to TFwiki. If you notice his last thread about it here, he doesn't exactly respond to the answers given, and instead tries to ask people how he can read it online for free or whether he should get the old issues or not (like he is again now, which people answered by the way, except he often doesn't listen, which is why he gets a lot of flak :p )

8. Snoop

Snoop Member

Heh, the Internet is full of special people.

Personally, as someone who'd never read a TF comic before MTMTE, barely watched the original cartoon as a kid in the 80's, only had the Jetfire toy because I was a huge Robotech nerd, and basically had no interest in the franchise until a month ago, I'm not having much trouble figuring out who is who and what's going on. :p 

TFwiki for the win you guys.

The only thing that had me scratching my head recently was th identity of the large fellow being held captive in the hidden basement onboard the Lost Light. His name escapes me, but I discovered his identity on this forums and I'm still confused, because he was reduced to a flaming skeleton at the end of Fall of The Wreakers, and taken into Autobot custody . . . So how did he get into a NAIL ship, and who fixed him up?

It will be fun to find out in future issues.

Edit: OVERLORD! I knew I'd member it. Lol

I kind of hate characters like him -much like the DJD he's just too damn powerful and evil, to the point where it breaks my ability to suspend my disbelieve. Whatevs tho. There will be a big robo
    T fight, and I will be entertained.

9. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't worry, we're all wondering that too! :lol 

10. Snoop

Snoop Member

Oh good! :D 

I was afraid there was some comic I was going to have to go buy just to figure out what was going on. Maybe Magnus dragged him along.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Trust me, if you read LSOTW you'd probably love him. He's a tough guy, yeah, but his personality is bigger than his gun. He's feared not just because of his physical strength, but because of his whimsically sadistic character.

He's more than evil, he lives in a completley different world almost. Also hi by the way!

12. Snoop

Snoop Member

I did read LSOTW. It was from that which I have formed my opinion of Overlord.

Overall I thought the plot of LSOTW was strong, the basic concepts in play were interesting, and the art was gorgeous.

However, I found the idea of a single, clearly insane character, being able to hold dozens, maybe hundreds, of Decepticons in line through fear and brutality just a bit too silly. I guess some of them enjoyed the way Overlord ran things. But I would expect the overwhelming majority to remain loyal to "the Cause", and take pains to reconnect with the larger Decepticon movement. This story takes place during a high point for the Decepticons, right? You'd think morale and loyalty to Megatron would also be at a high point.

The released prisoners aside, what about the Decepticon battalion that invaded G-9 in the first place? Crazy dude shoots their general in the back of the head. Sure, he then brings them victory, but still. . . They're going to back him up?

Well sure they are, because it's been implied that he could kill them all single-handed without breaking a sweat! I mean really; just as a mob of civilians can kill a single Navy Seal without too much trouble, so too should a few dozen trained 'Con troopers be able to take out one crazy mofo, regardless of how tough he is.

I do realize this is not a new paradigm within the TF universe -or comics in general. I'm just saying its a type of character that I find tiresome and un-compelling. Its like a kind of reverse Mary Sue.

Or like watching little kids at play; One pretends to shoot the other, but that kid doesn't like the idea of "losing" the game, so he declares he had a force field on the whole time, so he's actually okay! Who wants to play with "that* kid???

Had the 'Cons cleaned up things on their own, taken down Overlord, and established control of G-9, the Wreckers could have been lead into a much more interesting situation. Instead it was just a weird carnival of horrors.

Obviously, I THINK WAY TOO MUCH about this stuff. LOL Sorry for the overly long reply.

I really did enjoy LSOTW. I just had this one problem with it. I even liked Fistitron, the real world Fanboy insert character. :D 

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Really depends on who you ask. IDW comics were... iffy back then.
    Well, they are Decepticons. They don't really care. Only Snare does, and he was the exception, not the rule. Decepticons shooting eachother in the back is so commonplace I'm sure there's a procedure for the proper way to do it by now. I mean hell, Starscream is the second in command of the Decepticon army. So, there ya go.

But the thing is, as was demonstrated, there were Decepticons who were cool with it. It was only near the end when they were starting to get "hmm, maybe this dude isn't so awesome."

That... doesn't make sense. He was shown to be powerful, talked up about being powerful, and was powerful.

Also you seem to have missed the key aspect of Overlord's character: he's not just a sadist doing this because "lol I'm wacky guys!", he was trying to get Megatron's attention so that he could fight him, because he secretly isn't sure if he can. Because he'd rather fight Megatron than live his life under fear of reprimand and uncertainty. He's always in control, like Kup said. Megatron challenged that way of life.

Except Overlord would've been the kid who declared he had a forcefeild from the start, only to still succumb to a fake shot by a... you know what? No, that doesn't make sense. How does that apply to Overlord? Like they said, he's powerful, not omnipotent. He was beaten, and pretty badly.

I don't see how this could be the case. Decepticon-run facilities are old news that's very by-the-books. Certainly not the shit you send Wreckers in to clean up. How would the situation be more interesting if it was the typical old Decepticon fair? Overlord mixed things up. His was a senario that was exactly what Wreckers are sent in for.

14. Snoop

Snoop Member

I seriously doubt either of us is going to convince the other on this point. I think we need to just agree to disagree. :) 

But I do agree with your first statement about IDW's TF comics at that time being . . .iffy. :D 

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well you won't like this, but recently it was established that Overlord's peer Black Shadow won (or at least tied) a fight against 3000 Autobots, including Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus.

Some of the dudes in this continuity be crazy.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Unless somebody just hit the zero key a few too many times.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Black Shadow was designed to scorch planets. He could have gotten all of his kills by just finding out he was about to be ambushed and getting off the first shot.

And if it was a typo, the artist was working off that typo...also, that's how big a "battalion" should be!

18. Snoop

Snoop Member

Ha, yeah, that's just too rediculous for me.

I'll still read it. It will just be hard to do with my eyes rolled into the back of my head. :D