New high quality KO Defensor set

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by MegaMoonMan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No pics yet, but I got mine yesterday and here's the rundown. $85 shipped from KOtoys (minus the giftset box).

I only have an original Hot Spot as far as comparisons go, so I'll have to use him to compare (when I take pics). I got mine minus the box so I can't say much about the packaging.

The molding is dead-on. The plastic feels a little thinner here and there than the original, but it's not really noticeable. I don't know how they could have gotten it so spot-on without using the original mold - maybe they did? No idea. The plastic is nice, color matching is great.

Metal chests - awesome. Look great and painted very well. There was a couple small chips on Blade's chest. Touched up easily.

Paint is very good. There was a little overspray on Streetwise's back window, but I was able to easily fix that. There were a few flecks of paint here and there on all of them, but they were also easy to fix.

Stickers are decent, the only problem with them is that some weren't cut completely through to the adhesive. Also not a big deal, easy fix with a sharp blade. It comes with rub symbols that you apply yourself, very nice and work well.

The biggest flaw I found (and it's a strange one) was on Groove. In bike mode he has a pin with a head that holds together the part above the back wheel on the original, but on this one the pin didn't have a head - the pin head was just a plastic plug molded to look like it. Even the crappy red Defensor KO has the correct pin there, so this was odd. Since the pin doesn't have a head, the back of the bike didn't want to stay together. Not a problem, I just glued it and it works fine now, but it's still very odd.

The set as a whole is just as good as most official reissues I have gotten. If you want a shiny new Defensor and don't care under what banner it was produced, this is a wonderful (and pretty much only other than spending $100s of dollars) option.

Good stuff.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Awesome. Thanks for the review.

3. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    One thing I forgot to mention - one of the big vehicle cannons was missing, I think it was for Streetwise. Not sure if it was an oversight on KOtoys part or if it wasn't there to begin with. I emailed them and hopefully they will find it.

Another big difference I just noticed when looking at pics of an original - the back side windows on Streetwise and Firstaid aren't painted on the KO. There are also no flame details on the sides of Hot Spot's vehicle mode. I'm not sure if it's paint or a sticker (it didn't come with stickers for those parts), but that should be a dead giveaway for those looking to differentiate between an original and the KO.

It sucks for First Aid, because I'll never be able to match that shade of blue with paint. I guess I can just get the reprolabels set that has them, it's only $13.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The Reprolabels set is excellent, d00d; I used it on my original and they look great.
    Thanks for the review; I might have to pick one up sometime (although I'm mostly interested only in the packaging and the individual weapons).

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was the instruction manual included or was it left out as part of the packaging?

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No, I got it. Looks great, but the paper it's on seems a little thicker than what I remember from back in the day.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think painting the windows on First Aid was one of the first modifications I ever did.

8. Afterburner

News Credits:
    MegaMoonMan, it should come with the window stickers for First Aid and Streetwise, the flame decals for Hot Spot, and all parts. KOToys should be able to replace everything you are missing, not just the cannons. But I have seen pics of all of those sticker sheets.

I would say another word to the wise on these things is to not buy them right away. Often times there are a few errors/issues that get worked out over time from the initial release. Such as Swoop's head/sword and Slag's improper gold chrome. They rush these out a little bit due to the hype.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Really? Those stickers aren't shown in the latest thread.

The missing cannon is not a big deal for me. It will just go in a big box of parts I never touch. The stickers, however, bug me.

10. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    I've seriously considered buying this set, but I'd have to know for sure if it's supposed to come with all the stickers and that "missing" Streetwise gun. It should be too hard to find a real Groove body to replace the goofy one you mentioned. I can handle ~$100 total for a really nice Knockoff Defensor, but if I have to buy a replacement Groove, Streetwise gun, and a sticker kit, I may as well just shell out the $130+ for a real set.

11. chaoseffect

chaoseffect Custom TF builder

Great review! Thanks for sharing!

12. Afterburner

News Credits:
    Actually, after double checking I am not sure on the flame stickers...I have asked a seller to clear it up. But I know the rest is available, yes.

13. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow thanks for the review Megamoonman, I just went over to kotoys & I'm now highly tempted to click the "add to cart" button....

14. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

It is also worth noting that the main gun posts are smaller in diameter than the original. This is fine for Hot Spots hands and the Defensor hands because they have been reduced but they will not fit in any other hole that you would use in repair bay or carrier mode.

The pin that holds Blades' rotors in place is not inserted very well so any attempt to lock the rotors behind him in robot mode casues the pin to fall out.

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I forgot to mention the posts - that is correct. There's a solution for that - you can use Defensor's fists as gun mounts. For some reason the pegs on the fists fit in the holes on Hot Spot rather than the guns.

Using the fists as gun mounts makes for less unused combiner kibble, so I'm actually happy about the change. You can attach the foot plates to him as well for "armor", so really there's NO leftover kibble sitting around.

The rotor pin is ok on mine, the blades lock fine.

16. Afterburner

News Credits:
    Any flame stickers for Hot Spot?

17. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

No flame stickers but I did get an extra set of the window stickers if someone is in need.

18. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

You know what would fix this? a pictorial review.

19. dipgoof1978

dipgoof1978 Member

hq ko defensor has the copyright on the bots mine came with all parts great set

20. dipgoof1978

dipgoof1978 Member

i think i noticed some sticker instruction mistakes and maybe worded mistakes on box and instuctions