Customs: New here!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by comacaz, Aug 25, 2011.

1. comacaz

comacaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey there! So i'm new to these forums, and I thought I would say hi. Not sure how the forums over here work and I was a little confused about where to post this, so I kinda just chose this one haha.

On a side note, I joined here to see if people could help me with custom painting. I was going to get into custom painting, but I'm literally starting with nothing. I don't know if enamels or acrylics are best, what brand, if you have to mix paints, or even what brushes to use. I was primarily going to start off with just doing some dry brushing, and then doing that metal trick, where you paint it black then dry brush silver? I think that's it. Just thought I would ask around and try and see what's best, thanks!

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    i'd first go through the tutorial section located here
    Tutorials and How Tos - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

It has alot of info that people have already put together for "newbies" such as yourself. After that, when you have questions (which you will, and you shouldn't be shy about it) post anouther thread asking what you want to know or confirm.

the last thing i'd say is that the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked.:thumb 
    Good luck!

Randy!

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    congratulations your first post may have been in the best possible place ever

welcome aboard.

and there are plenty of guys here that can help, but dont forget to check the turorial section, there is a lot of great info there and its a grea resource to boot.

look forward to seeing your stuff around

4. comacaz

comacaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    haha wow! Thanks for the welcomes! I actually went through just about all of the tutorial sections last night (it was a long night indeed :p ) haha, and what I noticed is that on terms of painting, there was a mix between acrylics and enamels. I think by reading and watching the stuff, I know the techniques and will just need to practice to them, I'm just not sure on the paints. I know lately people have been using the Testors model master acrylics, but there are also the Testors enamels. I just need the one that is least likely to come off during transformation :D  I'm sure they all work relatively well, it's just personal preference, but I figured I'd just ask anyway. I know my Michael's has a testors model set of paints, and it's the "army" set, which has like silver, flat black, gloss black, all those darker military and dirty beat up colors that I want, but it was enamels so I wasn't sure what was best. Once again thanks for the greetings!!!

-Seth

5. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Welcome homey.....I'm Dinodigger97 as you can tell....And I'm awesome....that's all.

And all though you most likely can tell....I'm the friendest,awesomest,Funniest Person here(I also I've a huge ego.....Sorry.)

Well....make yourself at home....make typros(see?)...make friends...Make...you get it!!

Can't wait to see your customs...I would help you....but I'm awesome....but not a Custom-master....Sorry. :) 

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Several years ago I'd say stick with enamels. But acrylics have changed alot and i've been impressed with how durable they are in some cases. Starting out with acrylics isn't a bad idea since it's water soluble. No messy and stinky solvents to thin or clean your brush.
    As far as protecting your paint, alot of people swear by the future floor finish stuff. I've never used it, but i should.......

Randy!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits: